News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Poll on US Highways and Interstates

Started by SEWIGuy, September 21, 2021, 10:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you prefer US Highways be handled when an Interstate takes over the corridor.

Keep US Highway on parallel road (e.g., US-11)
Turn it to state route on parallel road (e.g., US-16 in Minnesota and Wisconsin)
End the route where the interstate takes over and turn remaining to a state route (e.g., US-61)
Hide the route on the interstate and have it reemerge later (e.g., US-41 in Wisconsin)
Duplex the route on the interstate

SkyPesos

Quote from: DenverBrian on October 03, 2021, 09:08:33 PM
Quote from: US 89 on October 03, 2021, 05:38:07 PM
Quote from: DenverBrian on October 01, 2021, 09:49:55 AM
And US 36 as it goes through the Denver metro.

I didn't realize that some people are so deeply invested in the idea that US highways are/must be contiguous.

That is not a gap though. US 36 is still defined as a continuous route by AASHTO: it follows I-270 from I-25 to I-70, then I-70 from I-270 to Byers. CDOT has simply chosen to not sign these concurrencies, as is the case with most Interstate/US overlaps in the state.
Then what's the point? If the public is unaware and the routes are not signed, then it's a difference without a distinction. Not a lot of people who consult a paper map for their route; even fewer who consult a paper map, then consult AASHTO to check and see if the route they're considering is "officially" defined as a continuous route or not.
Similarly, do you think that US 87 doesn't exist in Colorado at all?

HighwayStar

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 03, 2021, 09:13:25 PM

I didn't realize that some people are so deeply invested in the idea that US highways are/must be contiguous.

That is not a gap though. US 36 is still defined as a continuous route by AASHTO: it follows I-270 from I-25 to I-70, then I-70 from I-270 to Byers. CDOT has simply chosen to not sign these concurrencies, as is the case with most Interstate/US overlaps in the state.
Then what's the point? If the public is unaware and the routes are not signed, then it's a difference without a distinction. Not a lot of people who consult a paper map for their route; even fewer who consult a paper map, then consult AASHTO to check and see if the route they're considering is "officially" defined as a continuous route or not.

If it is not signed then it might as well not exist.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

DenverBrian

Quote from: HighwayStar on October 03, 2021, 09:49:47 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on October 03, 2021, 09:13:25 PM

If it is not signed then it might as well not exist.
This. If the public never sees a trailblazer sign, they certainly won't know. US 87 IS signed on some portions of I-25, but it's not necessary, and for 99.99% of the population, US 87 doesn't exist in Colorado at all.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.