News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The Most Boring Stretches of Highway

Started by nwi_navigator_1181, March 07, 2013, 12:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: deanej on March 09, 2013, 12:00:59 PM
I-88 is awesome.  Everyone should drive it at least once.

Over the years I've become WAY too familiar with the Thruway between Rochester and Syracuse.  When I was younger I'd take naps when the family was on it, waking up only when near an exit.  That's no longer an option, but as I've gotten more familiar with it and my sense of time sped up, it's not as bad as it used to be.  Which is a good thing, because between Mar 15 and Mar 24 I might be traveling it no less than 6 times.  :ded:

Since most/all of the examples are from the US, here's a couple from Canada: ON 417 east of Ottawa and ON 416.  ON 138 isn't that exciting either.

Canada is certainly not exempt from having boring Highways.  The 416 is probably the most mind numbing freeway in the province, but the 417 east of Ottawa, and the much of the 402 are honorable mentions.

I'd rate pretty much any freeway in New Brunswick as being boring drives as well.  Some of New Brunswick has a fair amount of hills, but the freeway consistently runs through the trees so motorists are never offered an interesting vista.

I personally don't mind driving through hours of farm country so long as the farm country is visible from the freeway.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

deathtopumpkins

Virtually any rural interstate is boring to me. I don't care for miles and miles of trees or endless fields.  The only exceptions are for truly spectacular scenic vistas.
Unless I'm pressed for time I avoid interstates like the plague,  strongly preferring back roads because they're much more interesting.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

vdeane

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on March 11, 2013, 01:06:44 PM
Quote from: deanej on March 09, 2013, 12:00:59 PM
I-88 is awesome.  Everyone should drive it at least once.

Over the years I've become WAY too familiar with the Thruway between Rochester and Syracuse.  When I was younger I'd take naps when the family was on it, waking up only when near an exit.  That's no longer an option, but as I've gotten more familiar with it and my sense of time sped up, it's not as bad as it used to be.  Which is a good thing, because between Mar 15 and Mar 24 I might be traveling it no less than 6 times.  :ded:

Since most/all of the examples are from the US, here's a couple from Canada: ON 417 east of Ottawa and ON 416.  ON 138 isn't that exciting either.

Canada is certainly not exempt from having boring Highways.  The 416 is probably the most mind numbing freeway in the province, but the 417 east of Ottawa, and the much of the 402 are honorable mentions.

I'd rate pretty much any freeway in New Brunswick as being boring drives as well.  Some of New Brunswick has a fair amount of hills, but the freeway consistently runs through the trees so motorists are never offered an interesting vista.

I personally don't mind driving through hours of farm country so long as the farm country is visible from the freeway.
It is for this reason that I clinched ON 417 between Ottawa and ON 138 at night.  It's much more interesting when you can't see the boring scenery.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

OracleUsr

I drove some back highway in New Brunswick, from Miscou Island to Moncton (it wasn't NB 11, that's what I took on the way up).  It was PITCH BLACK on the highway.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Alps

MD 30 north of Reisterstown. US 26 east of Gresham. We're done here.

djsinco

Quote from: OracleUsr on March 11, 2013, 07:27:27 PM
I drove some back highway in New Brunswick, from Miscou Island to Moncton (it wasn't NB 11, that's what I took on the way up).  It was PITCH BLACK on the highway.
Next time, remember to turn on your headlights! :confused:
3 million miles and counting

theline

How can it be boring without headlights? Terrifying, yes; boring, no.  :-o

Scott5114

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on March 11, 2013, 02:30:21 PM
Unless I'm pressed for time I avoid interstates like the plague,  strongly preferring back roads because they're much more interesting.

I don't know that conventional highways are inherently any more interesting than freeways. The only real thing you're guaranteed to see on a back road that you don't see on a freeway are small towns, and for the most part, they're interchangeable.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 12, 2013, 02:18:26 PM

I don't know that conventional highways are inherently any more interesting than freeways. The only real thing you're guaranteed to see on a back road that you don't see on a freeway are small towns, and for the most part, they're interchangeable.

I like the downtowns of small towns.  once you get past the "ring around the collar" of Walmart and other shit on the outskirts, it's fun driving a US or state route through the main drag.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

OCGuy81

Almost forgot, I-72.  Yeesh! Boring.

hm insulators

I-8 between Gila Bend and Yuma, Arizona.

Long stretches of I-10 between Phoenix and the Coachella Valley in California. (Although on a dark night with no moon, it is awesome to get off the freeway at a couple of select exits to look at the stars away from city lights.)
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

wphiii

I-10 from El Paso til you get to Hill Country.

I-80 between Gary and the Cuyahoga Valley.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hm insulators on March 12, 2013, 04:43:32 PM
I-8 between Gila Bend and Yuma, Arizona.

But I-8 between En Centro and I-5 is pretty cool (though do turn off the AC if you drive it on a hot day, as the signs warn).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: wphiii on March 12, 2013, 06:05:07 PM

I disagree. The land has just enough roll and the scenery changes just enough to keep it interesting.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

corco

QuoteI don't know that conventional highways are inherently any more interesting than freeways. The only real thing you're guaranteed to see on a back road that you don't see on a freeway are small towns, and for the most part, they're interchangeable.

Driving pleasure- unless I'm in a Uhaul or something similar, I enjoy conventional highways more because there's more variety. The roads usually aren't graded as well, so even flat terrain can seem hilly, which is a lot more interesting. Take US-30 instead of I-80 across Nebraska sometime- it's like 5 feet away but it's entirely more entertaining- a lot more to stay stimulated with.

formulanone

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 07, 2013, 10:55:46 AMI find Florida's Turnpike from the Lantana barrier to Fort Pierce to be boring. I limit it to that segment because we've never had reason to stay on the Turnpike north of there.

Actually, it's even more boring north of Fort Pierce, and the dull doesn't really quit until the exit with I-4 or so. Between FL 70 and US 192, you could essentially set the car's cruise control, take a nap in the back seat, and not hit anything (I'd recommend getting an four-wheel alignment, first).

I-95 north of FL 70 to the Duval County line is quite dull. US 1 is really your only alternate, but you won't make up much of any time.

I-75 isn't that bad; not the most exciting trip, but compared to I-95, I-10, and the turnpike, at least there's some variety in the scenery.

I-40 from West Memphis to Little Rock was a really dull drive.

Alps

Quote from: corco on March 12, 2013, 06:32:15 PM
QuoteI don't know that conventional highways are inherently any more interesting than freeways. The only real thing you're guaranteed to see on a back road that you don't see on a freeway are small towns, and for the most part, they're interchangeable.

Driving pleasure- unless I'm in a Uhaul or something similar, I enjoy conventional highways more because there's more variety. The roads usually aren't graded as well, so even flat terrain can seem hilly, which is a lot more interesting. Take US-30 instead of I-80 across Nebraska sometime- it's like 5 feet away but it's entirely more entertaining- a lot more to stay stimulated with.
All that, and you can stop to take photos of scenery, signs, etc. Much easier to take a quick stop in a town because you don't need to leave the highway to see what's there. Easier detours to random sights, museums, Americana, etc.

theline

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 12, 2013, 06:09:43 PM

I disagree. The land has just enough roll and the scenery changes just enough to keep it interesting.
Not the part between the state line and Toledo. That's a real snooze. I've come close to actually snoozing.

sandiaman

US 285  from  I-40  south  to  Roswell, NM is  hard  to  stay  awake  on.  Another   that  comes  to  mind:  US 95  from Beatty  to  Tonopah,NV.  Hmmmm.

OCGuy81

I don't seem to mind long, flat desolate highways in the southwest.  Arizona, New Mexico, California, Nevada.  I think I'm just a desert type.

Give me the same in a place like Kansas, Oklahoma, or the Dakotas? Blech.

Rover_0

I recall going along I-80/US-30 in Wyoming, and specifically, the stretch between Rock Springs and Rawlins was about 120 miles of open, uninteresting desert.

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 13, 2013, 12:43:43 AM
I don't seem to mind long, flat desolate highways in the southwest.  Arizona, New Mexico, California, Nevada.  I think I'm just a desert type.

Give me the same in a place like Kansas, Oklahoma, or the Dakotas? Blech.

You forgot southern Utah and southern Colorado. :P
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Scott5114

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 12, 2013, 02:22:15 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 12, 2013, 02:18:26 PM

I like the downtowns of small towns.  once you get past the "ring around the collar" of Walmart and other shit on the outskirts, it's fun driving a US or state route through the main drag.

It depends on how big of a small town you are talking about. County seats or anything else with about 5,000 people is charming. What I don't really care for are the interchangeable small towns where you have to slow down to 25 to drive past a post office, a deserted barber shop, and at least one section of storefront with a still-standing facade that has no corresponding building behind it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

^^ Better than México, where said 25-mph zone may or may not have corresponding speed bumps, which may or may not be signed or painted.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 13, 2013, 03:08:30 AM

It depends on how big of a small town you are talking about. County seats or anything else with about 5,000 people is charming. What I don't really care for are the interchangeable small towns where you have to slow down to 25 to drive past a post office, a deserted barber shop, and at least one section of storefront with a still-standing facade that has no corresponding building behind it.

and, if you're looking carefully, you can see the old embossed yellow yield three blocks down the side street.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

InterstateNG

Quote from: theline on March 12, 2013, 09:48:47 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 12, 2013, 06:09:43 PM

Not the part between the state line and Toledo. That's a real snooze. I've come close to actually snoozing.

Agreed.  That drained swamp is deathly boring.
I demand an apology.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.