PA Turnpike - Rays/Sideling Bypass 50th Anniversary

Started by briantroutman, September 17, 2018, 03:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briantroutman

Quote from: tckma on November 09, 2018, 09:54:36 AM
Brian, what time are you planning on starting the meetup?

There's an itinerary posted on the event page, but I suppose it would be a good idea to post it here in the thread, too.

Since the days are short in late November, we'll be covering a fair amount of ground, and I agreed with SAC we'd conclude our tour by sunset, the start time is rather early. To accommodate the typical pre-meet meal, I plan to start in Bedford at 10:30 a.m.

I realize that this early start time may prove problematic for attendees who will be coming in from a considerable distance, so there are a number opportunities where you can join the meet in progress at a later time–as late as 1 p.m.–and still make the tour.

• 10:30 a.m. - Meet for breakfast/lunch at the Bedford Diner (4292 U.S. 220 Business, Bedford, PA)
    (Join opportunity #1)
  • 11:30 a.m. - Consolidate to tour vehicle; depart diner for Breezewood
    (Join opportunity #2)
  • 11:50 a.m. - Brief stop at original Breezewood Interchange trumpet; bathroom break in Breezewood
  • 12:30 p.m. - Depart Breezewood (free parking available at Quality Inn Breezewood - 16621 Lincoln Highway, Breezewood, PA)
    (Join opportunity #3)
  • 12:40 p.m. - Brief stop at Lincoln Highway overlook offering a view of both current and old Turnpike alignments
  • 1:00 p.m. - Tour begins from Cove Valley Service Plaza parking lot
    (Join opportunity #4)
  • 4:30 p.m. - Tour concludes at Cove Valley Service Plaza parking lot; return to Bedford
  • 5:30 p.m. - Optional dinner (location TBD)
    (Join opportunity #5)

I'll be getting in touch with everyone who has registered to find out where they plan to join (so we can plan accordingly). I'll provide more detailed instructions and directions for anyone who plans later in the tour. Of course I'd like to encourage everyone to be with us beginning at brunch in Bedford, but I understand that some may need to join us later.

Thanks–and I look forward to seeing you there!

hbelkins

I fear that by the time all the variables that would have to align for me to attend would sort themselves out, all the available seating will be gone. Family plans, weather, finances, the ability to get Monday and Tuesday off work ... all won't be resolved until much closer to the meet.

FWIW, this is the first meet I can remember with a hard limit on attendance.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Beltway

I might actually attend if not for the fact it is on Sunday.  Some folks attend church on Sunday..
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

akotchi

I am now in for this one.  I will plan to join for brunch in Bedford.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

briantroutman

Quote from: hbelkins on November 09, 2018, 12:50:50 PM
I fear that by the time all the variables that would have to align for me to attend would sort themselves out, all the available seating will be gone.

Maybe...but maybe not. Reservations came in a flurry at first and then leveled off quickly with four seats still open. I imagine a few are on the fence and waiting to commit. Then, too, there's always the possibility that someone will cancel prior to the event date, opening up a seat. I'll contact everyone about a week prior to make sure they're still planning to attend. If you're still interested and the variables align, check back with me. If a seat is still open, it's yours.

Quote from: hbelkins on November 09, 2018, 12:50:50 PM
FWIW, this is the first meet I can remember with a hard limit on attendance.

Yeah, it's an unusual situation dictated by the transportation arrangements I agreed to with SAC. As mentioned, we could probably arrange a second van, but everyone's split costs would go up significantly if that second van wasn't close to full.

Quote from: Beltway on November 09, 2018, 12:56:47 PM
I might actually attend if not for the fact it is on Sunday.  Some folks attend church on Sunday..

I understand; scheduling is a perennial challenge. Saturday would have excluded some people who are still visiting family on an extended Thanksgiving trip. I know at least one person who wanted to attend but can't, not because of religious services because he works on Sunday. And Monday (the actual anniversary date) was inadvisable due to many people's work weeks beginning and also it being the first day of deer hunting season in PA.

Quote from: akotchi on November 09, 2018, 01:12:56 PM
I am now in for this one.  I will plan to join for brunch in Bedford.

Terrific–I look forward to seeing you there!

Laura

Just signed up Mr. and Mrs. MD Roads for the meet, so that's two more slots!!!

iPhone

oscar

Please sign me up, if there are any slots left. I'd likely be joining the tour in Bedford (join opportunity #1).

I'd been concerned about fighting my way back home through returning-from-holiday traffic. But I could overnight in Bedford to avoid the crowds.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

briantroutman

Quote from: Laura on November 09, 2018, 07:50:10 PM
Just signed up Mr. and Mrs. MD Roads for the meet, so that's two more slots!!!

Fantastic! Look forward to seeing you both there.

Quote from: oscar on November 09, 2018, 09:53:20 PM
Sign me up, if there are any slots left open. I'd likely be joining the tour in Bedford (join opportunity #1).

Great, Oscar! I entered your info into the registration form, so you should have separately received an email from EventBrite confirming your reservation.

Looks like we will have more than a few alumni of the 2004 Breezewood meet on hand!

cpzilliacus

Sign me up please.  I think you may have one slot left.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

briantroutman

Got it, C.P.–glad to have you with us! You should receive a separate confirmation from EventBrite.

I may have miscounted earlier–there's still one open slot left. And as mentioned earlier, there's always the possibility of a last-minute cancellation. So anyone who's still interested, let me know if you try to register later and the form says "sold out" ; it's possible that a slot has or will open up.

I'll be sending out an email over the weekend to everyone who's registered with some additional details on the plans.

tckma

I've signed up two people.  I'm definitely coming.  Question marks at this time are whether my wife will be joining me, and at what point I/we will join the group.

IIRC, Enterprise (as well as all other rental car companies as far as I'm aware) doesn't allow dogs in their rental cars, so that means I'm likely going to be coming by myself.

briantroutman

Quote from: tckma on November 12, 2018, 07:51:15 AM
I've signed up two people.  I'm definitely coming.  Question marks at this time are whether my wife will be joining me, and at what point I/we will join the group.

IIRC, Enterprise (as well as all other rental car companies as far as I'm aware) doesn't allow dogs in their rental cars, so that means I'm likely going to be coming by myself.

I'd have to check the specific terms of the rental agreement, but based on the company's website, anyway, it looks like Enterprise does allow pets (with some restrictions). They do mention the pet being crated, but provided that the van is returned reasonably clean and in good condition, how would Enterprise know it wasn't? The cheaper trim level of the Ford Transit Wagon has vinyl flooring which would be easy to sweep or vacuum if needed.

Personally, I'm fine with you bringing dogs–I don't know if anyone on the tour is particularly dog-phobic or dog-allergic. If anyone does have an issue with it, please post to the thread or contact me (or I could email the attendees to ask).

One possible issue associated with bringing dogs would be space. From the photos I've seen of the Ford Transit Wagon, the 15 seats inside are basically shoulder-to-shoulder with just a narrow aisle snaking between the second and fifth rows. The fifth row is almost against the rear of the van with maybe a foot of space for cargo. So depending on how large these dogs are, whether they're claustrophobic or content to sit on your laps, it may or may not be a fun time for them.

Then also, if you are planing to join us either at the diner beforehand or for dinner afterward, there's the issue of the dogs not being able to come into a restaurant. But if you're driving from as far as CT, joining for breakfast/lunch might not be in the cards anyway. Have you given any thought to where and when you plan to join the group?

tckma

Quote from: briantroutman on November 12, 2018, 02:54:21 PM
Quote from: tckma on November 12, 2018, 07:51:15 AM

I'd have to check the specific terms of the rental agreement, but based on the company's website, anyway, it looks like Enterprise does allow pets (with some restrictions). They do mention the pet being crated, but provided that the van is returned reasonably clean and in good condition, how would Enterprise know it wasn't? The cheaper trim level of the Ford Transit Wagon has vinyl flooring which would be easy to sweep or vacuum if needed.

Personally, I'm fine with you bringing dogs–I don't know if anyone on the tour is particularly dog-phobic or dog-allergic. If anyone does have an issue with it, please post to the thread or contact me (or I could email the attendees to ask).

--cut for brevity--

I'm surprised that Enterprise has changed its tune since the last time I checked -- or maybe it varies from state to state.  I tend to rent in Maryland when my car is at the shop or has been in an accident or something.  Other states, I'm on a business trip by myself and don't care enough to read into the agreement with that much detail.

Given the "floor plan" of that van, I'm not sure our dogs would be well-behaved enough.  Even if the other attendees like dogs, it's likely that ours would jump all around all over them and demand attention -- not a good plan.  I'm pretty stern about "don't climb on or otherwise bother the driver" when I'm driving, to the point that they generally don't with me -- my wife, not so much -- she'll even full on let them climb on her lap in the drive-thru.  So with user=briantroutman or anyone else driving, I couldn't guarantee they would act in a safe manner.  Plus they have a tendency to bark A LOT when first meeting new people... you can tell it's out of excitement due to the vigorously wagging tails, but it DOES sound kind of violent at times, and more often than not I've found people are scared about it and apprehensive, even if they profess to like dogs.  The greetings eventually calm down / quiet down but that can take 10-20 minutes.  Heck, even when **I** come home, it takes at least 5 minutes before I can say hello to my wife and have her hear me.

I don't think bringing the pups along is a great idea.  I did that for my first road meet -- the Corridor H meet (and CPZ mentioned it to me at Golden Spike, so I guess it's how people know me).  But that was because I was going to go myself and have my wife stay home with the dogs, but then her grandfather passed away and she had to abruptly get a RU$H passport (she hadn't applied for one since getting US citizenship) and fly overseas to go to the funeral.  It was bring the dogs along or don't go at all.  I enjoyed that meetup but I really wish I could have eaten at the Cracker Barrel or wherever it was, to get to know people.  Even going into the Sheetz locations worried me since it was about 8913478913298491804 degrees out that weekend, so I had to leave the car running with the air conditioning cranked full blast... the only time I wasn't nervous about that was when I parked next to a WV State Trooper in the parking lot -- but he or she left before I got back to the car.  Also, since I only have one key for that car, I had to leave the dogs unlocked.  West Virginia, not so worrying.  Philadelphia / Harrisburg / Breezewood area... I'd be more nervous I'd return to the parking lot to find my car missing.

I need to talk to my wife... which I think she's coming up to my hotel tonight but if not I'll have to discuss it over the phone.  If it was just me, I'd be fine leaving CT at the butt-crack of dawn to get to Breezewood by 10 AM... but it may not be just me.  I think she'll decline because of the dogs needing to be watched and my not thinking it's a good idea to bring them with us, but I at least want to offer her the opportunity.

tckma

Google Maps says 6 hours and 12 minutes from my in-laws' house to the diner.  On the Sunday after Thanksgiving, I'm not sure that's a correct assessment.  10:30's looking like an unlikely arrival time, even if I'm driving alone.  I've got to think about logistics here.  I'm sure I'll come up with something.

briantroutman

Quick update: Still one seat remains available if anyone's interested but hasn't yet reserved a space. Another space might open up if tckma's wife doesn't come with him.

Quote from: tckma on November 13, 2018, 02:35:35 PM
10:30's looking like an unlikely arrival time, even if I'm driving alone.

OK–just keep me posted.

As mentioned, there are opportunities to join the group up to 1 p.m. at Cove Valley and still make the Abandoned Turnpike portion of the tour. But if you can manage it, I'd encourage you to plan on joining us at opportunity #3: Quality Inn Breezewood at 12:30 p.m. Breezewood is much easier to find and possibly just as quick to reach as Cove Valley, plus you'll have easy parking at the Quality Inn lot.

I'd make the same recommendation to everyone else: I hope you'll be able to meet us for breakfast/lunch at the Bedford Diner (that would be best), and if you can't be there that early, the next best option would be to meet us at the diner after breakfast. Meeting us in Breezewood would be the next best option: You'll miss out on the stop at the original Breezewood Interchange trumpet, but you'll still be with us for the stop at the Lincoln Highway overlook and won't have to contend with finding Cove Valley.

hbelkins

Quote from: briantroutman on November 13, 2018, 03:16:26 PM
Quick update: Still one seat remains available if anyone's interested but hasn't yet reserved a space. Another space might open up if tckma's wife doesn't come with him.

I'm not going to claim it, in case I would have to cancel. I'll just take my chances in case I end up able to come and someone bails. If not, then that's money not spent on the trip.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

As mentioned before I am out for this one since I will be busy with a toy show in York but depending on when and where an optional dinner is I may pop in then, the show wraps up at 3 and will be 4 to 4:30 when I get my van packed up and ready to head out, roughly 90 minute to 2 hour drive to the Bedford area from York.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

briantroutman

Late last night, I got an RSVP for the 15th seat. But that said, it's quite possible that I'll get a cancellation or two between now and the 25th. So if you're still on the sidelines but interested in coming, post to the thread or send me an email. Since he already expressed an interest here in the thread, I'll consider H.B. to be first on the waitlist in case a seat opens up and he's able to come. Then after that, I'll take any other standbys in the order they express interest.

Despite today's unusual early winter storm, the long range weather forecast looks reasonable. Daytime highs should be above freezing from tomorrow through the event, so any snow which falls today will be long gone by the meet. Temperatures on the 25th itself are expected to be close to average (low-mid 40s), and there's currently about a 40% chance of some showers at some point that day. So as previously mentioned, plan to dress warmly, and you may also want to consider wearing some rain-resistant gear. Unless the forecast calls for torrential downpours or accumulating snow (neither of which is likely), we'll hold the meet as scheduled. Keep in mind that we'll be in the shelter of a heated van for most of the tour.

Also–semi-related item–does anyone here know or have contact information for Corey Dukes? He was at Jeff Kitsko's 2004 SWPA meet in Breezewood and took a group photo which had been posted on the now-offline delmarvahighways.com. I only have a very low-resolution copy of it and would like to get a larger image.

Quote from: jpi on November 15, 2018, 10:11:48 AM
As mentioned before I am out for this one since I will be busy with a toy show in York but depending on when and where an optional dinner is I may pop in then, the show wraps up at 3 and will be 4 to 4:30 when I get my van packed up and ready to head out, roughly 90 minute to 2 hour drive to the Bedford area from York.

Sure, Jason–I'd be happy to have you join us for dinner if you can make it. I have your phone number from past meets and can text or call you when we're finishing up the tour and discussing dinner options.

Alps

Quote from: briantroutman on November 15, 2018, 03:50:35 PM
Also–semi-related item–does anyone here know or have contact information for Corey Dukes? He was at Jeff Kitsko's 2004 SWPA meet in Breezewood and took a group photo which had been posted on the now-offline delmarvahighways.com. I only have a very low-resolution copy of it and would like to get a larger image.

On it.

bossjock77

Wow... surprised to see my name pop up.  :-)

If you message me with an email address, I can send you a copy of the photo.

briantroutman

^ Thanks! Just sent you a message.

And thanks, Steve, for putting us in touch!

tckma

I need to cancel given familial obligations; that's two seats opening up.  The date is odd - right after Thanksgiving - any other Sunday likely would have worked better.

briantroutman

We're now just a week away, and all of the pieces are coming together nicely. I purchased the required liability insurance policy and forwarded the coverage documentation to SAC. On Friday, I spoke with the local Enterprise office directly and confirmed that our 15-passenger van will be ready for me to pick up Saturday.

The forecast temperatures for next Sunday have been trending slightly upward and are now expected to be in the upper 40s. There's still a chance of showers, but it doesn't appear that we'll be getting heavy or continuous rain. With the exception of Thanksgiving Day itself, daytime highs are expected to be well above freezing from now through the meet, so whatever lingering snow is still on the ground from last week should be long gone by the time we get there.

tckma's cancellation means that two seats are still open. If anyone else is still interested in coming, please go to the event page and sign up.

Quote from: tckma on November 16, 2018, 02:21:56 PM
I need to cancel given familial obligations; that's two seats opening up.

Sorry that you won't be able to join us. Nevertheless, thanks for letting me know in advance so that someone else has an opportunity.

briantroutman

^ Hi H.B. Just responded to your message. Hope you're able to make it!

Also–for anyone else interested–there are still two seats open, so if H.B. does make it for the tour, we'll still have one open seat. Get in touch with me if you're interested.

kevinb1994

Quote from: briantroutman on November 20, 2018, 02:00:40 PM
^ Hi H.B. Just responded to your message. Hope you're able to make it!

Also–for anyone else interested–there are still two seats open, so if H.B. does make it for the tour, we'll still have one open seat. Get in touch with me if you're interested.

H.B. says that he can't make it, so there's still two open seats left for the tour.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.