News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Any road recommendations

Started by ShawnP, September 10, 2010, 02:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShawnP

Going to West Virginia next month for a long weekend of leaf peeping. Any recommendations on road routes for best leaf viewing sites? I was thinking of starting at Greenbriar and working my way up to Elkins.

LeftyJR

You can't miss WV-28 through the North Fork Valley...US-33 between Seneca Rocks and Elkins should be great too.

If you have time for a side trip - head up to the top of Spruce Knob - at almost 5000 ft it will peak fairly early.

hbelkins

US 219 is a pretty drive through Marlinton, but WV 92 and 28 are as well.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ShawnP

Thanks guys and look forward to also taking a look at Corridor H to get my road geek time in.

hbelkins

In terms of highway quality, WV 92 heading north from White Sulphur Springs is much better than US 219 heading north from Lewisburg. Plus I find the NRAO satellites pretty interesting to look at in Green Bank.

ShawnP

Taking US-219 down to WV-66. Stopping at Cass Railroad then doubling back on state 92 to Elkins. Going this weekend.........road reports to follow.

hbelkins

Heard today that Snowshoe got some snow last night. Depending on how warm it gets the rest of this week, some of those leaves may be white! ;-)

ShawnP

No snow at Bald Knob but was cool in the 50's. Leaves were great at Cass, Caanan Valley and Blackwater Falls. Only bad thing about the weekend was West Virginia Route 72. Good lord that was crazy!!! It had more turns than a San Fransisco street, width of Chicago alley thrown in with almost 1.5K in rise and fall. Top speed I reached was 30mph but stayed at 15mph for almost 15 miles. Very beautfiul but crazy driving. Hello Corridor H take us away..........

agentsteel53

I've noticed that West Virginia mountain roads have three types of advisory signs:

* no advisory sign: advisory speed is 20.
* yellow advisory sign: advisory speed is 15.
* missing advisory sign, and part of guardrail torn away: advisory speed is 10.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ShawnP

I should have been warned when signs said no big trucks could take the road. I passed more motorcycles than anything.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.