News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illogical control cities for the direction of long-distance travel

Started by hbelkins, November 12, 2022, 04:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bitmapped

Quote from: jmacswimmer on November 18, 2022, 12:55:54 PM
A similar example that, like above, only came about because of recent sign replacements:

The PA Turnpike westbound at Breezewood now uses Baltimore to match eastbound, when it previously used Hancock MD (which I always thought made sense in that direction, given I-70's north-south orientation between Breezewood & Hancock).  I can't think of any scenario where long-distance traffic would exit the Turnpike westbound at Breezewood & ultimately head to Baltimore, as Harrisburg-area traffic would use I-83 & Philly-area traffic would use I-95.  And just out of curiosity to cover local traffic, when I dropped a pin on US 522 next to the Fort Littleton interchange and did directions to Baltimore it routed onto the Turnpike east to I-83.

Another interesting tidbit is that when the eastbound signage was replaced at the same time, Washington DC was dropped from the main signage & relegated to one auxiliary sign.

Honestly, I suspect that more through traffic is going to Washington, DC than Baltimore from Breezewood.

MDOT SHA signs Hancock, Hagerstown, and Frederick as control cities for I-70 between Breezewood and Baltimore. Considering Pennsylvania's penchant for using small towns, I'm surprised they didn't use one of those for I-70. Hancock might be the smallest of the options, but as @jmacswimmer noted, it would have the benefit of working for both the eastbound and westbound directions of the turnpike.

hbelkins

Quote from: Bitmapped on November 20, 2022, 09:46:16 AM
A similar example that, like above, only came about because of recent sign replacements:

The PA Turnpike westbound at Breezewood now uses Baltimore to match eastbound, when it previously used Hancock MD (which I always thought made sense in that direction, given I-70's north-south orientation between Breezewood & Hancock).  I can't think of any scenario where long-distance traffic would exit the Turnpike westbound at Breezewood & ultimately head to Baltimore, as Harrisburg-area traffic would use I-83 & Philly-area traffic would use I-95.  And just out of curiosity to cover local traffic, when I dropped a pin on US 522 next to the Fort Littleton interchange and did directions to Baltimore it routed onto the Turnpike east to I-83.

Another interesting tidbit is that when the eastbound signage was replaced at the same time, Washington DC was dropped from the main signage & relegated to one auxiliary sign.

Honestly, I suspect that more through traffic is going to Washington, DC than Baltimore from Breezewood.

MDOT SHA signs Hancock, Hagerstown, and Frederick as control cities for I-70 between Breezewood and Baltimore. Considering Pennsylvania's penchant for using small towns, I'm surprised they didn't use one of those for I-70. Hancock might be the smallest of the options, but as @jmacswimmer noted, it would have the benefit of working for both the eastbound and westbound directions of the turnpike.

Why would either Baltimore or DC be signed? After all, I-70 doesn't serve either city!  :-D :-D :-D

On a serious note, Hancock would probably be a logical one to sign because of the intersection with I-68. I wonder how much traffic goes from the westbound Turnpike to southbound I-70 (yes, I know, it's signed EAST but it really goes south there) to access I-68 west? Or does most of that traffic use I-81 to I-70 to I-68?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

dvferyance

I-43 south end in Beloit I-39/90 NB is signed for Janesville. Shorter to take US 14 about 15 miles beforehand to Janesville. Until recently Madison and of course from Milwaukee I-94 is the way to go.
I-94 EB in Tomah I-90 WB is signed for Albert Lea as a secondary control. Nobody is going to Albert Lea that way. Of course twin cities traffic would take I-35.

jaehak

Quote from: kphoger on November 18, 2022, 09:54:15 AM
Quote from: KCRoadFan on November 18, 2022, 01:26:37 AM

Quote from: jaehak on November 13, 2022, 11:58:07 AM
I-70 east approaching 35 south (signed for Wichita) may be the best example of this. Depending on the distance being traveled, Wichita traffic would have been better off leaving eastbound 70 at 670, 18th Street Expressway, 635, 435, K-7, K-10, 470 in Topeka both times, US 77, and of course 135.

If not Wichita, what would you sign 35 South for? Overland Park?

Or maybe take a page from the Chicago playbook and sign "Southwest Suburbs" or just "Kansas". What do you think would be best?

Also, EB I-70 → SB I-35 is how you'd get from downtown KCK to Wichita.  Minnesota Avenue transitions onto I-70.  Beyond that point, the very next exit is for I-35 to Wichita.

I'd still sign it for Wichita the same as I'd still sign OPs example as Lexington. The point is just that there's a faster way to Wichita if you get on eastbound 70 from any point other than Minnesota, Central, or 7th.

roadman65

Florida has plenty. Here is a few.

I-4 WB now uses Polk City for Exit 38 WB considering one looking for it would have departed the interstate two exits ago.

I-10 WB at Tallahassee uses Monticello for US  90 EB at the East Tallahassee interchange.  Considering I-10 just came from there and would have departed  previously at US 19, this definitely benefit’s no one.

Exit 414 on I-75 uses previous High Springs on I-75 NB when the last encounter with US 441 at Exit 399 went there already.  Also SB uses Lake City when drivers on I-75 SB just visited Lake City.

Then onto another state.

Exit 130 on the Garden state Parkway in NJ uses Newark for US 1 north when that particular city is 13 miles previously on the road that they’re on.  Anyone going to Newark would be on the Garden State Parkway NB if they entered the highway on all ramps between Newark and Exit 130, and if coming down from points north of Newark would have departed the Parkway in Newark itself or at I-280 in East Orange.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hobsini2

Joliet has 2.
I-80 EB at I-355 for Rockford. One would have taken either 88 to 39 to Rockford or 80 to 39 to Rockford. By this point, you are about 100 miles from Rockford via 355, 290 and 90. This is an instance that I would not use any control other than maybe West Suburbs.
I-80 WB at I-55 for Chicago. This is not as bad but still.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

roadman65

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 14, 2022, 01:53:41 AM
The most ridiculous one I can think of is why I-90 East to I-84 West uses the same controls as I-90 West to I-84 West.  I'm fine with Hartford being a control for the movement, but no one in their right mind is going to NYC getting off heading eastbound on 90 when they're only 55 miles from Boston.  There were numerous previous opportunities to leave I-90 to go to NYC; some signed, some not.  Staying on the Ohio Turnpike and I-80; I-86 just east of Erie; staying on the mainline Thruway at Exit 24, and the exit to the Berkshire Spur westbound at the end of Free 90.  The exit should be either Sturbridge/Hartford, or just Hartford.

At least Everett is kept.  Even here https://goo.gl/maps/vwqLzLa89YDm7NGRA as there is no interchange for Everett at PA 26, so you have to use US 30 to reach.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.