News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Illinois isn't flat

Started by Crash_It, July 30, 2021, 09:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlsterner

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 09, 2021, 05:39:43 PM
This guy is seriously back for more ridicule after the Haunted thread fiasco?

Yes, I'm amazed (well not really) that he keeps coming back for more ridicule.  (I did catch some of the Haunted thread fiasco before it went to forum purgatory)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: dlsterner on October 10, 2021, 05:09:53 PM

Yes, I'm amazed (well not really) that he keeps coming back for more ridicule.  (I did catch some of the Haunted thread fiasco before it went to forum purgatory)

Seems you didn't, it was such a spooky thread that it disappeared like a ghost!  I might be able to offer you some low quality grainy images as proof that it existed.

bing101

Quote from: kphoger on August 02, 2021, 03:22:17 PM
Why would I think Illinois was flat?  I used to live in the southern part of the state.

Oh, wait, I forgot.  People in Chicago think the rest of the state doesn't exist, so they assume we must think that too.

https://goo.gl/maps/5a3fyMGAxXFRTR2b8
https://goo.gl/maps/UP9BZHqCmoXoiV42A
https://goo.gl/maps/W4nYR9jAu7ZzhhKS7
https://goo.gl/maps/j8gtKcz2hqVLJfWMA
https://goo.gl/maps/dS18P2TCdb1pdE6k6
https://goo.gl/maps/G7PULpCNtiGeCEGR8
I get what you mean the New Madrid fault makes the Southern part of Illinois hilly in some areas.

Scott5114

Quote from: thspfc on October 09, 2021, 06:28:53 PM
Speaking of "scenic", I would agree that some of the hilly parts of Illinois are not even scenic. Southern Illinois and the Illinois Valley have too much thick tree cover to be scenic.

I think that's remarkably silly. Thick tree cover can be scenic in its own right, especially around this time of year.

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 10, 2021, 01:42:03 PM
Is there a word for nationalism, but instead of for a country, it's for the state of Illinois? That's sort of what I'm feeling reading some of the posts here.

Sectionalism.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bing101

Quote from: US 89 on October 10, 2021, 02:47:09 AM

That's interesting to see California more flat than New York State. But I can see why too given that the Central Valley contributes to the Golden States flatness and parts of the Mojave Desert can give that perception.
Also Upstate New York has the Appalachian mountains that make the state less flat.

SkyPesos

Nebraska is only #20 in flatness? I thought it would be top 10 at least.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 10, 2021, 06:24:20 PM

The western part of the state has substantial bluffs and badlands.

hbelkins

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 10, 2021, 05:16:17 PM

Seems you didn't, it was such a spooky thread that it disappeared like a ghost!  I might be able to offer you some low quality grainy images as proof that it existed.

Wow. The thread didn't just get locked, but it got deleted? That doesn't happen very often. It must have gotten really crazy in there between the time I saw it for the last time and when someone pulled the plug on it.

I'd love to see the mods' explanation for this and what prompted the decision. (There's my occasional call for more transparency).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on October 10, 2021, 07:36:59 PM

Wow. The thread didn't just get locked, but it got deleted? That doesn't happen very often. It must have gotten really crazy in there between the time I saw it for the last time and when someone pulled the plug on it.

I'd love to see the mods' explanation for this and what prompted the decision. (There's my occasional call for more transparency).

It was just a total cluster f%^} from my own observation as someone who was part of that thread.  Lots of insults were hurled back and forth amid the backdrop of Illinois roadways somehow being haunted/not flat.  Suffice to say there was almost nothing (being generous) of value in said thread.

cl94

Quote from: bing101 on October 10, 2021, 06:01:04 PM
That's interesting to see California more flat than New York State. But I can see why too given that the Central Valley contributes to the Golden States flatness and parts of the Mojave Desert can give that perception.
Also Upstate New York has the Appalachian mountains that make the state less flat.

Very little of NY is remotely flat. Aside from Long Island and right along the Great Lakes, the state is very rugged, as is most of the Northeast. Our mountains might not be tall, but there is definitely more terrain variation than you get in most of the US. Similarly, all of NJ's high ranking comes from South Jersey.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 10, 2021, 06:33:25 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on October 10, 2021, 06:24:20 PM

The western part of the state has substantial bluffs and badlands.

Between the badlands out west and the sandhills in Central NE, it's not a flat state unless you're along the I-80 corridor or south. I was very pleasantly surprised by the scenery.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hotdogPi

Something quite surprising: None of the six flattest states touch each other.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

paulthemapguy

If we're comparing Iowa and Illinois, Iowa has the Loess Hills, while Illinois has less hills.  :D
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 10, 2021, 07:48:40 PM

It was just a total cluster f%^} from my own observation as someone who was part of that thread.  Lots of insults were hurled back and forth amid the backdrop of Illinois roadways somehow being haunted/not flat.  Suffice to say there was almost nothing (being generous) of value in said thread.

They weren't even particularly good or entertaining insults.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 10, 2021, 09:43:30 PM

What got me was that the original post went into so much detail about certain Illinois roads being haunted only to take a sudden 180 turn at the end about Illinois not being flat.  It left me with the impression that if the OP had found proof of; the divine, monsters, ghosts or aliens visiting Illinois that he would still commentate on how evidence of the state not being flat was in the background.

plain

Curious to see Alaska's and Hawaii's rank.

Illinois & South Carolina is flatter than Delaware?? That's a shock to me.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Crash_It

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 10, 2021, 08:49:52 PM
If we're comparing Iowa and Illinois, Iowa has the Loess Hills, while Illinois has less hills.  :D

Illinois has the Shawnee Hills and Illinois Ozarks.

cl94

Quote from: plain on October 10, 2021, 10:23:40 PM

Northern Delaware is hilly enough to mess up the ranking. It's not much of the state, but it's a large enough percentage.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

renegade

Oh, I don't know about that.  I got the finger (and a warning)!
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: renegade on October 11, 2021, 11:20:13 AM

Oh, I don't know about that.  I got the finger (and a warning)!

I used what might have been the least scathing sounding insult ever in failed attempt to reason with Lord Car Horn. 

GaryV

Is it true that in some counties in Illinois, the greatest change in elevation is the difference between the tops of the corn stalks and the soybeans in the next field?

thspfc

Quote from: GaryV on October 11, 2021, 12:48:23 PM
Is it true that in some counties in Illinois, the greatest change in elevation is the difference between the tops of the corn stalks and the soybeans in the next field?
In 2, 65, and 99 counties, yes.

Rick Powell

Quote from: thspfc on October 11, 2021, 04:08:11 PM
In 2, 65, and 99 counties, yes.

In 10, 2 and 4 counties, this bottle of Dr. Pepper went flat.

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 11, 2021, 11:51:30 AM
Lord Car Horn. 

See, that made me laugh. I suggest making it Lord Carhorn without the space, because that makes it look more like the name of some minor English noble.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 11, 2021, 07:55:21 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 11, 2021, 11:51:30 AM
Lord Car Horn. 

See, that made me laugh. I suggest making it Lord Carhorn without the space, because that makes it look more like the name of some minor English noble.

Personally, seeing it stylized as Lord Carhorn instantly reminded me of Lord Farquaad (RIP).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

hbelkins

Quote from: plain on October 10, 2021, 10:23:40 PM

Curious to see Alaska's and Hawaii's rank.

I don't see 50 on the map, so I'm presuming that's Alaska. What other number is missing? That would be Hawaii.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.