News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Particle

Quote from: bob7374 on July 31, 2021, 10:22:34 PM
The US 3 sign replacement project has now finally appeared among projects under construction in the MassDOT Projects Listing (ProjectInfo). According to the project page the Notice to Proceed was given on March 1, and as of July 9 work is 2% complete. The site notes as of July 9 "The contractor started mobilizing the work crew and equipment this week. The subcontractor (Soil X) is preforming the soil borings and taken samples to be analyzed. The results will be used for designing the overhead guide sign support system. Cosco, Inc. has also started work on the proposed highway guardrail system." Work on the soil borings is to be completed as of today ("the end of July"). The revised project listings no longer give a date of project completion, I am guessing Spring of 2023.

So I guess these will be the first BGSs in MA to originally come with the new exit numbers?  😊

SectorZ

Quote from: DJ Particle on August 01, 2021, 10:02:43 PM
The US 3 sign replacement project has now finally appeared among projects under construction in the MassDOT Projects Listing (ProjectInfo). According to the project page the Notice to Proceed was given on March 1, and as of July 9 work is 2% complete. The site notes as of July 9 "The contractor started mobilizing the work crew and equipment this week. The subcontractor (Soil X) is preforming the soil borings and taken samples to be analyzed. The results will be used for designing the overhead guide sign support system. Cosco, Inc. has also started work on the proposed highway guardrail system." Work on the soil borings is to be completed as of today ("the end of July"). The revised project listings no longer give a date of project completion, I am guessing Spring of 2023.

So I guess these will be the first BGSs in MA to originally come with the new exit numbers?  😊

Assuming the lack of activity on 495 continues, that will be the case. 495 got all new auxiliary and exit gore signs, but nothing new for BGSs in the months since.

bob7374

Quote from: SectorZ on August 02, 2021, 06:46:56 AM

Assuming the lack of activity on 495 continues, that will be the case. 495 got all new auxiliary and exit gore signs, but nothing new for BGSs in the months since.
Meanwhile, MassDOT updated the I-495 project on their project listings site, which now says the project is complete. Umm, forget something?

SectorZ

Quote from: bob7374 on August 03, 2021, 12:17:37 AM

Meanwhile, MassDOT updated the I-495 project on their project listings site, which now says the project is complete. Umm, forget something?

I can't even find the Littleton to Lowell one in there. The one for Lowell to Methuen is marked as completed but I can't find the one they're currently "working" on.

bob7374

Quote from: SectorZ on August 03, 2021, 09:01:42 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on August 03, 2021, 12:17:37 AM

I can't even find the Littleton to Lowell one in there. The one for Lowell to Methuen is marked as completed but I can't find the one they're currently "working" on.
It's not listed under a particular town. You have to go under Advanced Project Search and click on the Project Type link for Structural Signing, Under Construction, Project Number 607919.

empirestate

Quote from: SidS1045 on July 28, 2021, 08:58:42 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 22, 2021, 09:59:45 PMCool, but Wikipedia does this for all these roads and many more in every state.

Right.  If it's on the internet, it must be correct.

If your view of the world is filtered through Wikipedia ("the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit"), you have a serious problem.  Apparently you've never seen a Wikipedia article edited by someone with less-than-honorable intentions.

Well that escalated quickly.

shadyjay

They are making progress on Littleton-to-Lowell, from an "approach-road" standpoint.  Exited in Westford briefly for food and noticed new signs on the offramps and onramps.  There's a staging yard around the MA 2A exit that has a few of these signs left in it, and there are now secondary guide signs in there as well.  Still no overheads, whatsoever, and no evidence of earthwork to support the foundations. 

Mergingtraffic

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

DJ Particle

Pete from Boston

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

yakra

"Massachusetts is a really big city."
- some guy on a bus in Portland c. 2005
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Rothman

Quote from: yakra on August 16, 2021, 09:54:51 AM
He might be surprised by the fact the MA town I grew up in had some dirt roads...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

RobbieL2415

MA is actually bigger than NJ.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on August 16, 2021, 02:23:03 PM
MA is actually bigger than NJ.

Only in area. When people talk of the "size"  of cities it's most often in terms of population, and in that regard NJ is 25% larger.

JWF1959

And on Sutton Ave off I-395 Exit 4... this gem....

I've noticed this one for years.   It looks like a relatively recent sign (well, maybe less than 20 years old..). Has the word "freeway" ever been used in Massachusetts?

hotdogPi

Quote from: JWF1959 on August 29, 2021, 07:01:34 PM

I've noticed this one for years.   It looks like a relatively recent sign (well, maybe less than 20 years old..). Has the word "freeway" ever been used in Massachusetts?

Do you have a picture or link?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

fwydriver405

Quote from: 1 on August 29, 2021, 07:04:17 PM
Quote from: JWF1959 on August 29, 2021, 07:01:34 PM

Do you have a picture or link?

From reply 1568:

Quote from: shadyjay on July 26, 2021, 06:47:35 PM

395SB-Exit94-entrance
by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

kernals12

I just found out Massachusetts is getting $4.2 billion for road improvements in the infrastructure bill (plus $1 billion for bridges, the bulk of which will be going to the ones connecting Cape Cod to the Mainland).

That is more than enough for pretty much all of the state's highway needs

Rothman

Quote from: kernals12 on August 30, 2021, 08:44:54 PM
I just found out Massachusetts is getting $4.2 billion for road improvements in the infrastructure bill (plus $1 billion for bridges, the bulk of which will be going to the ones connecting Cape Cod to the Mainland).

Your concept of costs for transportation projects is off the mark.  All their needs?  No way.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kernals12

Quote from: Rothman on August 30, 2021, 08:59:48 PM

Your concept of costs for transportation projects is off the mark.  All their needs?  No way.
Replace the cloverleaf interchanges on 95 with 93 (both of them), 2, and 3 with stacks
Remove the last at-grade intersections on 2
Remove at-grade intersections on 1A
Widen US 1 to 6 lanes from Malden to Saugus
Widen 93 to 8 lanes to the New Hampshire border

That about covers it.

Rothman

Quote from: kernals12 on August 30, 2021, 09:44:35 PM

Replace the cloverleaf interchanges on 95 with 93 (both of them), 2, and 3 with stacks

That about covers it.

Leaving what funding for MassDOT's capital program?

Even with a preservation program, MA would need to spend billions to keep its conditions from declining.  And then you have routine maintenance...

kernals12

Quote from: Rothman on August 30, 2021, 09:46:22 PM

That about covers it.

Even with a preservation program, MA would need to spend billions to keep its conditions from declining.  And then you have routine maintenance...

Hopefully Worcester Polytechnic can get that self healing concrete on the market soon.

Rothman

Quote from: kernals12 on August 30, 2021, 09:52:05 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 30, 2021, 09:46:22 PM

That about covers it.

Hopefully Worcester Polytechnic can get that self healing concrete on the market soon.
Truly you have a dizzying intellect.

kernals12

When they do widen the Sagamore and Bourne Bridges, won't that increase the pressure to widen Route 3?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.