News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highways you would like to explore

Started by doglover44, March 17, 2021, 12:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

I've done the Blue Ridge Parkway, but I would like to do the interstate highway drive between Denver (actually Glenwood Springs) and the Los Angeles Basin.  Also the Natchez Trace Parkway.

I wouldn't mind doing US 6 across Pennsylvania, too.

In Wisconsin, I have not yet done WI 35 between Hudson and Superior.

Mike

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mgk920 on March 18, 2021, 03:15:52 PM
I've done the Blue Ridge Parkway, but I would like to do the interstate highway drive between Denver (actually Glenwood Springs) and the Los Angeles Basin.  Also the Natchez Trace Parkway.

Mike

WI-35 is beautifully desolate between Superior and WI-77.

Rothman

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 18, 2021, 04:17:12 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on March 18, 2021, 03:15:52 PM

Mike

WI-35 is beautifully desolate between Superior and WI-77.
Watch out for deer.  My in-laws owned a cabin outside of Danbury.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

OCGuy81

Quote from: skluth on March 18, 2021, 02:34:09 PM
Pretty much anyplace I haven't been yet. But here are some priorities in no particular order:

US 101 Coastal highway from Tacoma to Crescent City
Vancouver Island
US 50 in Nevada and Utah
The intermontane parts of SW Colorado (Gunnison Canyon and Upper Rio Grande Valley)
Lake Michigan and Lake Huron shorelines around Michigan "mitten"
Most of New England, especially US 1 and the Northern Maine wilderness area
The barrier islands along the Carolina and Georgia coast
The Road to Hana

I'll warn you now, the road to Hana is a bit anti-climactic. It's a pretty drive but you get to the town and are left thinking "all that...for this?!"

kenarmy

I'm one of the crazy eccentrics that wants to drive US 6 end to end  :).
But anyway:
- US 50 in Maryland
- US 1 south of Miami
- I-359 (I have passed right by this route *several* times)
- MS 1
- MS 465 (most of it is usually flooded)
- Lakeshore Drive (IL)
- Finish the Natchez Trace
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

hbelkins

Lots of stuff in the west and southwest, including Monument Valley (US 163), the Moki Dugway, US 191 south of I-40, and probably a bunch of other routes that don't come readily to mind. I'd also like to pick up US 60 in northeast Oklahoma and drive it the rest of the way west. And since I have US 62 clinched in Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, and Kentucky, I'd like to drive the rest of the route.

Closer to home, the Cherohala Skyway in Tennessee and North Carolina.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Some that come to mind:

-  Usal Road and all of the Lost Coast from Rockport to Ferndale
-  The Old Rattlesnake Grade east of the South Fork Eel River
-  The Devil's Backbone on the Grand Staircase
-  Black Bear Pass Road near Telluride
-  Old US 60 and the original Queen Creek Tunnel
-  The Bradshaw Trail east of the Salton Sea
-  Hovatter Road and beyond in the KOFA Range

zachary_amaryllis

anything gritty and urban. i already live in the mountains.

when i was a kid i lived in northern nj and have memories of things like the pulaski skyway, goethals bridge, etc.

i-278 fascinates me because its just so... well, gritty and urban. same with 579 in pittsburgh. the big fustercluck where like 97 roads come together to go across the george washington bridge. god forbid you're on the wrong set of lanes or wrong road because you might end up in an entirely different part of new york than you intended.

i liked the old 76/25/36/270 mess in denver, before the revamp. coming sb, you had to make like a 20mph turn to head east on 76.. or the old 'mousetrap'. or even the 85/bus 85/byp 34 mess in greeley.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

TheGrassGuy

Route 66. Or is that highway overrated?
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

SkyPesos

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on March 19, 2021, 09:56:35 AM
Route 66. Or is that highway overrated?
For this forum, this is what I have for it in the Roasted 2dus thread:
Quote from: SkyPesos on March 13, 2021, 07:46:20 PM
66 - Some people here thinks it doesn't deserve the fame it gets in the general public

doglover44

I would also love to drive out to Cove Fort Utah where I-70 West ends and turns into I-15

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: doglover44 on April 09, 2021, 11:53:03 AM
I would also love to drive out to Cove Fort Utah where I-70 West ends and turns into I-15

Back in 2002, when I was on a vacation out west, before I was into road clinching, I used US 50 to shortcut between I-70 and I-15. Now I regret taking that shortcut.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

formulanone

The one with a number and/or scenery that I haven't seen to before.

Flint1979

Quote from: skluth on March 18, 2021, 02:34:09 PM
Pretty much anyplace I haven't been yet. But here are some priorities in no particular order:

US 101 Coastal highway from Tacoma to Crescent City
Vancouver Island
US 50 in Nevada and Utah
The intermontane parts of SW Colorado (Gunnison Canyon and Upper Rio Grande Valley)
Lake Michigan and Lake Huron shorelines around Michigan "mitten"
Most of New England, especially US 1 and the Northern Maine wilderness area
The barrier islands along the Carolina and Georgia coast
The Road to Hana
The shoreline around the thumb is so-so nothing special about it in Huron County anyway. Almost all of the thumb is boring, flat farm fields with no significant inland lakes to speak of really.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 17, 2021, 12:45:15 PM
M-22

All right, I have to confess. I did M-22 last weekend. It was a nice road, but other than a couple short sections above Lake Michigan and coming down to Grand Traverse Bay and a couple charming towns I found little about it worth stealing a sign or buying a T-shirt over. Maybe I should come back in the summer or fall?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Bickendan

Local: The rest of the Oregon Route System
US 101 from Aberdeen to Olympia
WA 16, 3
US 12
WA 8
WA 20

Not so local: BC 1, 5, 19, 97
CA 1
I-90
US 16

International:
India NH 110
NH in Sikkim (impossible as foreigners aren't permitted in Sikkim because of China and India's relations)

Flint1979

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 09, 2021, 02:38:31 PM
M-22

All right, I have to confess. I did M-22 last weekend. It was a nice road, but other than a couple short sections above Lake Michigan and coming down to Grand Traverse Bay and a couple charming towns I found little about it worth stealing a sign or buying a T-shirt over. Maybe I should come back in the summer or fall?
Summertime up there is probably the best. Also Northport is a cool town it's north of where M-22 curves back to the South.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 09, 2021, 05:43:50 PM
M-22

Summertime up there is probably the best. Also Northport is a cool town it's north of where M-22 curves back to the South.

Yeah, I thought both Northport and Suttons Bay were nice towns.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Ned Weasel

I want to clinch all of the Oklahoma Turnpikes.  No, really.  And it seems doable.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Henry

If I ever get over my fear of flying, I'd like to go to Europe and sample the English motorways, the French autoroutes and the German autobahns.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Flint1979

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 09, 2021, 05:50:56 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on April 09, 2021, 05:43:50 PM
M-22

Yeah, I thought both Northport and Suttons Bay were nice towns.
I took a trip to Alpena the other day actually I didn't have any reason to be there I just ended up there. I took a combination of M-13, US-23, a few back roads because of a detour on M-65, M-65 and M-32. Then took M-32 again, M-33 and I-75.

M-65 is decent once you get up by the Au Sable River. M-33 is a scenic ride for most of its route north of Rose City it's pretty nice. I would say between those two M-33 wins.

Scott5114

Quote from: stridentweasel on April 09, 2021, 05:53:02 PM
I want to clinch all of the Oklahoma Turnpikes.  No, really.  And it seems doable.

It's very doable. And most of them are even interesting!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ozarkman417

If you ever do such a thing, add up all the tolls you pay. That would be an interesting figure to look at.

Scott5114

Quote from: ozarkman417 on April 10, 2021, 12:01:46 AM
If you ever do such a thing, add up all the tolls you pay. That would be an interesting figure to look at.

Assuming a 2-axle vehicle and paying cash:
Cherokee–$3.25
Chickasaw–$0.85
Cimarron–$4.25
Creek 364–$3.75
Bailey 44–$6.25
Indian Nation–$7.75
Kickapoo–$2.25
Kilpatrick–$3.75
Muskogee 351–$4.00
Turner 44–$5.00
Will Rogers 44–$5.00

So you can expect to spend at least $46.10, $16.25 of which is spent clinching I-44 alone. Note that these do not include the H.E. Bailey and Cimarron spurs, and assume each toll road is clinched in one go with no backtracking or repeat visits (like clinching the Cimarron, then using the Cimarron again later to get to Tulsa to clinch the Muskogee).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

sparker

As much of my cross-country journeys, mostly done between 1982 and 2004, were principally east-west, with a fair number of diagonals thrown in, many of my unexplored highways are the longer N-S corridors.  Several stand out; others are simply combinations of routes traversing areas I've missed solely because they're not along the E-W/diagonal corridors traveled in the past.  A few off the top of my head:

The old MSR 789 corridor from Nogales, AZ to Sweetwater, MT (border-to-border) Done pieces of it here & there (most notably the portion now occupied by US 20 and US 310 in WY and MT). 

US 281.  Period.  The longest 3dus; it would just be intriguing to do a south-to-north journey -- even though there's little in the way of major towns once north of TX.   Just the fact that it'll likely, overall, to be boring over long stretches makes it interesting -- one can concentrate on the differences between the southern and norther prairies, for instance.

The Great River Road -- particularly the one on the east side of the river north of Cairo, IL.  It's also eminently doable.  One of the things to consider would be whether it would have made a decent US 59 (with the present one reverting to US 73, which is mainly where it is, grid-wise).  Would have been a nice pair -- US 59 on the east side of the Mississippi River and US 61 on the west (with several exceptions, of course). 

Probably a lot more I haven't yet assembled into a cohesive trip.  Give me time..............

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.