News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What projects might the Infrastructure Bill help fund?

Started by OCGuy81, April 02, 2021, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

Hoping this doesn't get too political for anyone, but with the proposed infrastructure spending that. Biden has put forth, does anyone know what projects might finally get going or maybe ones that have been stalled would go forward?

I heard on OPB yesterday that here in Oregon, the proposed plan could give much needed funding to the Interstate Bridge replacement.

Bruce

Prioritizing repair instead of expansion, and rightly so. We've put off a long backlog of maintenance issues in favor of flashier expansion projects because politicians have to convince voters of their ability to bring home federal bacon.

MikeTheActuary

We ought to have a town hall meeting to decide what to do with the funds.

https://youtu.be/taJ4MFCxiuo

OCGuy81

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on April 02, 2021, 07:18:02 PM

Monorail??

Worked great for Brockway and North Haverbrook.

SkyPesos

Brent Spence Bridge twinning (hopefully)

Not confirmed or anything, just my wish.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 02, 2021, 07:34:24 PM
Quote from: MikeTheActuary on April 02, 2021, 07:18:02 PM

Monorail??

Worked great for Brockway and North Haverbrook.

But Main Street's still all cracked and broken.

In_Correct

U.S. 97 is a curiosity that has been needing upgrades for a long time. People like Oregon and badly need the road improvements. U.S. 197 also. At a minimum from Interstate 84 to Interstate 5. Ideally all of it from Canada. U.S. 20 at least to Interstate 84.

Also:

Two divided highways to connect Interstate 80 to Interstate 15 in Nevada.

U.S. 89 from Page to Flagstaff.

S.H. 47 in Illinois, including improved Grade Separations for Fox River, and also the rail line farther north of it.

4 Lane Divide all of U.S. 35, U.S. 62, U.S. 67, U.S. 77, U.S. 80, U.S. 81, U.S. 82, U.S. 84, U.S. 87, U.S. 90 includes extension, U.S. 177 includes extension to U.S. 82, U.S. 180, U.S. 271, U.S. 277 includes a realignment east of the current alignment in Wichita Falls, U.S. 281, U.S. 287 includes Interstate Quality through Decatur, U.S. 377 includes S.H. 99 from Nebraska to United Mexican States, U.S. 380.

U.S. 69, U.S. 75, and The Unfinished Corridor. This also includes converting The Disputed Bridge to a nearby tunnel. Do not close Frontage Roads.

Grade Separate bridges for rail, beginning with at least one per town per rail line.

Grade Separate the rail lines in Houston.

A solution to widen Interstate 35 through Sanger with out interfering with The B.N.S.F. and with out closing Frontage Roads.

Infinite Beautiful 4+ Lane Divided Toll Roads. And Arch Ways.

Passenger Rail, possibly Electric.

Ban driving on shoulders.

Have Maximum Speed Limit Signs Per Lane. Three Lanes per carriage way is preferred. The "slow" lane is for traffic entering and exiting the highway. This is especially useful for cities. Also especially useful for Trucks, Buses, and R.V.s ... especially if the road inclines with a very low speed limit. The middle lane is for regular travel and higher speed limit, a passing lane with an even higher speed limit ... with Minimum Speed Limits for each lane as well.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Flint1979

Crown Victoria

Some thoughts for PA:

-Begin widening of I-81, especially between I-83 and I-78, and in the Wyoming Valley
-Complete the Turnpike/I-95 interchange
-US 22 widening in the Lehigh Valley
-Complete the Mon-Fayette Expressway (depends on rules for toll roads)
-Complete US 219 expressway to I-68 in Maryland
-Accelerate completion of the CSVT
-Complete US 322 expressway between Boalsburg and Potters Mills

A few non-road projects have been mentioned:

-Additional Amtrak service on the existing routes
-New Amtrak service Reading-Philadelphia, Allentown-NYC, and Scranton-NYC

Rothman

Quote from: Bruce on April 02, 2021, 07:12:15 PM
Prioritizing repair instead of expansion, and rightly so. We've put off a long backlog of maintenance issues in favor of flashier expansion projects because politicians have to convince voters of their ability to bring home federal bacon.
Pfft.  NYSDOT has had a "preservation first" strategy towards its capital program for quite a number of years now.

Stimulus is already spoken for, as any DOT with any sense has started design on additional projects in anticipation.  In NY, all of the anticipated projects are preservation-type projects.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

sprjus4

Perhaps finally completing the gap on I-64 between Bottoms Bridge and Williamsburg.

Jmiles32

For Maryland I would say the obvious road one would be finally being able to widen the remainder of I-81 in the state.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

I-55

Here's a link to the transportation breakdown for those who want to do some advanced math:
https://www.businessinsider.com/what-is-in-bidens-infrastructure-bill-package-american-jobs-plan-2021-3

Quote from: Business Insider
Transportation

$621 billion for transportation includes:

$115 billion for modernizing roads, highways, and bridges

$20 billion for road safety

$85 billion for public transit

$80 billion for Amtrak and freight rail service

$174 billion for electric vehicles

$25 billion for airports

$17 billion for ports

$20 billion for neighborhoods historically excluded from transportation investments

$25 billion to fund new projects

$50 billion for infrastructure resilience, with a special emphasis on more vulnerable areas

I didn't place this for political purposes but rather so we have a better idea of how much we can do and where.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Hwy 61 Revisited

Quote from: Crown Victoria on April 02, 2021, 09:18:14 PM
Some thoughts for PA:

-Begin widening of I-81, especially between I-83 and I-78, and in the Wyoming Valley

-Roosevelt Expressway in Philadelphia?
-US 220 to I-68?
-Completion of I-576?
-30/83 Connection?
-Central/North Scranton Expressway Connection?

...should this be in Fictional?
And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

Great Lakes Roads

Indiana:

Rebuild and widen I-65 and I-70 to three lanes each way
Upgrade US 30 and 31 to freeway standards
A new Ohio River bridge in Evansville for I-69 that can easily be widened to three lanes each way if needed

Crown Victoria

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on April 02, 2021, 11:29:54 PM
Quote from: Crown Victoria on April 02, 2021, 09:18:14 PM
Some thoughts for PA:

-Roosevelt Expressway in Philadelphia?
-US 220 to I-68?
-Completion of I-576?
-30/83 Connection?
-Central/North Scranton Expressway Connection?

...should this be in Fictional?

The only one of your projects that would realistically benefit would be the Southern Beltway from I-79 to the Mon-Fayette (future I-576), but the Mon-Fayette needs to be completed first. An upgrade of Roosevelt Boulevard has long been discussed but it's doubtful it would happen anytime soon if ever. As for US 220 (I-99?) to I-68, I believe that was indeed in the original plan but has since been dropped. And as for your last 2 projects, that US 30/I-83 interchange upgrade would be nice but I don't believe it's on any official plans, and it's doubtful that those 2 Scranton expressways will ever be connected.

So long as we keep lists of projects to those that are in official plans, this can stay right where it's at. The infrastructure bill will serve to accelerate projects that would already occur even without the added funding.

Adding a few more thoughts to my first list for PA:

-Complete reconstruction of I-70 between Washington PA and New Stanton
-Accelerate timeline for I-78 reconstruction from Lehigh/Berks line to US 22 split
-Accelerate timeline for I-83 reconstruction and widening around Harrisburg and near York
-PA Turnpike NE Extension (I-476)/I-81 interchanges (Scranton Beltway)
-US 422 widening around Reading
-US 222 widening Reading-Kutztown and Kutztown-Trexlertown
-PA 61 reconstruction St. Clair-Frackville

Jmiles32

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 02, 2021, 09:41:18 PM
Perhaps finally completing the gap on I-64 between Bottoms Bridge and Williamsburg.

While this is likely a project that would have ultimately been funded regardless, I agree that an infrastructure bill would certainly help expediate its completion significantly.

What I would add would be certain big non-interstate projects that currently have no funding and with the way smart scale is set up, likely may never get any. Examples would be:

1. Martinsville Southern Connector
2. Interstate I-81 Exit 307 Relocation Project
3. VA-37 eastern extension
4. US-15 Interchanges in Leesburg
5. US-29 Lynchburg Southern Bypass
6. US-50/Loudoun County Parkway Interchange
7. VA-234/Sudley Manor Driver Interchange
8. Various improvements along VA-288
9. Various Fredericksburg area improvements

Certainly many more that I'm forgetting as well.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

TEG24601

I'm hoping for funds to finally replace the I-5 bridge between Vancouver, WA and Portland, OR, or at least some assistance.  Some assistance in extending MAX to Vancouver, even if it is just to a single station downtown or at 4th Plain would go a long way to help with congestion, when things start picking back up.

Some assistance in getting some spare ferries for WSF would be nice.

Lots of bridge replacements would be nice, all over the country.

I would like to see some expansion of regional rail, but I don't see that happening.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Well it's going to be hard to  totally avoid the people that fund roads or authorize till roads......and especially since both parties are being back earmarks.
The President included and outline Congress will fill it in
There is a discussion of Amtrak funding in mass transit.

hbelkins

I'm thinking Kentucky may use funding to move the additional Ohio River crossing at Cincinnati forward, and also to complete the Mountain Parkway widening. Federal money has already jump-started right of way acquisition on the portion between exits 46 and 57, which is the only remaining two-lane portion not already widened or under construction.

Another possibility is completing the northeastern bypass of Somerset, which is the extension of the Cumberland Parkway east from US 27 to tie in to the rebuilding of the KY 80/KY 461 intersection already underway.

They might also finally move to remove all of the old toll booth cloverleafs on the parkways. There's one on the Purchase Parkway that will have to be removed for I-69 to be extended, and one on the Pennyrile that will be replaced as part of the I-169 designation. There's one left on the WK Parkway at Central City; one on the Cumberland at Edmonton; one on the Audubon at KY 416; and two on the BG (KY 52 and KY 55).

Under Obama's stimulus (ARRA/TIGER) back in 2010 or thereabouts, Kentucky used that money to advance several projects to construction on which design had been completed.

Since there's a safety component, I would expect a number of additional HSIP projects across the state.

I doubt any money will go to the I-69 Ohio River bridge, since the decision has already been made to fund it with tolls.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sparker

Hopefully the upgrading of CA 99, including the replacement of low overcrossing bridges (many under 15'), will finally commence on the older sections yet to be addressed (Tulare County, Chowchilla, Merced/Atwater, and possibly Lodi to Galt).  Possibly a CA 37 relocation before it's waterlogged, and maybe even the short freeway link completing CA 262 as a freeway between I-880 and I-680.  Less likely "wishlist":  a direct CA 84 extension north of I-580 over to the previously improved Vasco Road as well as the CA 239 extension of the CA 4 freeway down to I-205.  Of course anything on US 101 in Santa Clara, San Benito, and Monterey counties would be welcomed, along with upgrades to CA 156 between Prunedale and Castroville.  Essentially jump-start the stalled/delayed regional projects. 

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hobsini2

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 02, 2021, 07:36:11 PM
Brent Spence Bridge twinning (hopefully)

Not confirmed or anything, just my wish.
I read that to quick. I read it as Brent Spiner Bridge.
https://youtu.be/7NrNlzstKzo
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

Quote from: In_Correct on April 02, 2021, 08:44:41 PM
U.S. 97 is a curiosity that has been needing upgrades for a long time. People like Oregon and badly need the road improvements. U.S. 197 also. At a minimum from Interstate 84 to Interstate 5. Ideally all of it from Canada. U.S. 20 at least to Interstate 84.

Also:

Two divided highways to connect Interstate 80 to Interstate 15 in Nevada.

U.S. 89 from Page to Flagstaff.

S.H. 47 in Illinois, including improved Grade Separations for Fox River, and also the rail line farther north of it.

4 Lane Divide all of U.S. 35, U.S. 62, U.S. 67, U.S. 77, U.S. 80, U.S. 81, U.S. 82, U.S. 84, U.S. 87, U.S. 90 includes extension, U.S. 177 includes extension to U.S. 82, U.S. 180, U.S. 271, U.S. 277 includes a realignment east of the current alignment in Wichita Falls, U.S. 281, U.S. 287 includes Interstate Quality through Decatur, U.S. 377 includes S.H. 99 from Nebraska to United Mexican States, U.S. 380.

U.S. 69, U.S. 75, and The Unfinished Corridor. This also includes converting The Disputed Bridge to a nearby tunnel. Do not close Frontage Roads.

Grade Separate bridges for rail, beginning with at least one per town per rail line.

Grade Separate the rail lines in Houston.

A solution to widen Interstate 35 through Sanger with out interfering with The B.N.S.F. and with out closing Frontage Roads.

Infinite Beautiful 4+ Lane Divided Toll Roads. And Arch Ways.

Passenger Rail, possibly Electric.

Ban driving on shoulders.

Have Maximum Speed Limit Signs Per Lane. Three Lanes per carriage way is preferred. The "slow" lane is for traffic entering and exiting the highway. This is especially useful for cities. Also especially useful for Trucks, Buses, and R.V.s ... especially if the road inclines with a very low speed limit. The middle lane is for regular travel and higher speed limit, a passing lane with an even higher speed limit ... with Minimum Speed Limits for each lane as well.
Pretty sure that Route 47 is "grade separate" from the Fox River. :)
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

mvak36

I'm not sure how much that bill would actually fund for expansion (if it passes), so I've put those in a wish list at the end.

For Missouri, I'd be ok with it if it pays to fix most of their deficient bridges and any pavement rehabilitations. Idk if Kansas has that many deficient bridges as Missouri, but same applies for them. Their roads are usually better than on the Missouri side, at least in my experience. Maybe they can expedite some of their IKE program projects.

Wish List Items (in no particular order except for the first one :)):
I-70 expansion between KC and STL
I-70 improvements from downtown KC to I-435 (getting rid of those curves, etc.,)
I-70 Lewis and Clark Viaduct to get rid of those curves
I-270 (whatever isn't funded in the area of the ongoing project)
I-57/US67 in Missouri/Arkansas
Chester Bridge (if not already included in the bridge fixes above)
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.