News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Longest on/off ramps

Started by MCRoads, April 03, 2021, 08:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCRoads

Fairly self explanatory. Only one caveat: no toll road ramps. This is because toll road ramps are longer than average, and would flood this thread.

This is for ridiculously long ramps from freeway to freeway, freeway to arterial (or vice versa), and arterial to arterial.

What constitutes an on/off ramp?

1: The ramp must be free-flowing in its entirety (stoplights/stop signs/roundabouts at endpoints are fine, and ramp meters are fine).

2: It must be one-way (parclos/trumpets where roadways come close together or share pavements are fine).

3: It must have a distinct diversion from the mainline of the road it "exits" . I.E. if the ramp is the thru movement in an interchange, it would not count. There nay be scenarios where the "thru movement"  could count as an on/off ramp, but for the most part they don't. See my examples below for a through movement ramp that does count.

4: Any C/D road needed to get to/from the ramp does not count in the final distance. A C/D road is any ramp that, one you exit, you have a choice to merge back onto the road you just exited. No exceptions here.

5: The ramp may not exit and enter onto the same road. This may be a weird rule to include, however there are some situations where this might come up. (carpool ramps are allowed, if they go from general lanes to priority lanes, or vise versa).

With that out of the way, here are my contributions:

Exit 49 on I-70 in CO. This one is 0.9 miles long, and it is an interesting situation. The river separates the main road from the ramp for quite a ways.

the movement from WB I-10 to NB AZ-51 in Phoenix, AZ. This extremely long ramp is 1.1 miles in length, and is the exception to rule 3. It clearly exits off the mainline (I-10), so it does count.

And last, but by far not least:

the movement from NB I-45 to SB I-69 or SB TX-288 in Huston, TX. This insanely long ramp is 3 miles long! There isn't much else to say except that I know there are longer ones in TX. I'll leave those for you to find.

Good luck hunting!
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

SkyPesos

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

interstatefan990

If we're talking non-flyover, ground level-only ramps, the I-84 East on-ramp from I-684 is 1,402 feet long.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

jp the roadgeek

A few I can think of:

The I-84 East on-ramp from CT 4.  Including the SR 508 portion, it's over a mile long.  But even the ramp portion is long because it is separated by a Jersey barrier and is designed to end past the CT 9 exit to prevent crossovers (but it was designed that way even before that portion of CT 9 opened in anticipation of I-291)

The westbound ramp from Slater Rd.  Designed the same way to prevent crossing to CT 72 East

I-84 Exit 62-60.  The c/d road is almost 2 miles long, and Exit 60 requires that you stay on it for almost a mile and a half. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jmacswimmer

Another one I didn't see mentioned in the other thread: I-295 NB to I-95 NB & I-95 SB to I-295 SB on the north side of Richmond.

(Those with better knowledge can correct me, but I'm under the impression the design of these ramps is a relic from when I-95 was to be routed around Richmond?  The NB ramp especially, which is striped for 2 lanes but appears to be wide enough for 4 lanes, seems to hint at this.)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Hwy 61 Revisited

For straight onramps, this off I-84 certainly takes the cake.

And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

Big John

Ga293

Quote from: Big John on April 04, 2021, 12:47:31 PM
Kennesaw GA:  Wade Green Rd to I-75 NB. https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0589568,-84.600005,16.03z?hl=en-US

That's since been changed with construction of the tolled express lanes. It's much shorter now.

bassoon1986

Does something like this count? Does this constitute an off ramp? When it is a freeway terminus/merge with only one option after it's last exit. This is the new terminus of US 175. After the SM Wright exit, WB 175 only moves to NB I-45.

iPhone

hobsini2

The caveat of no toll roads is a slight to one that is a legit "ramp" between 2 toll roads. I-294 NB to WB I-88 and the reverse in Hillside. Over 1.7 miles.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

formulanone

I-95 South to I-595 West: 3.2 miles on a lane that's longer than some entire 3dis. (Once you take Exit 26, you can't return to I-95.)

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

dlsterner

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 04, 2021, 10:24:56 AM
Not mentioned in either thread are these:

MD-198 westbound to I-95 southbound in Laurel, Maryland

I-405 southbound to I-105 eastbound near LAX (this one is metered)

I was going to mention the "opposite" ramp of the Maryland example - I-95 northbound to MD 198 eastbound - which is even longer (about three miles), but then figured it would probably be disqualified as it ends up being a C/D ramp (as it can return to northbound I-95).

Bickendan

I-5 south to 205 north in Tualatin clocks in at 1.2 miles.

Also I'm fairly certain that that one has been mentioned in another thread.

SkyPesos

I-865  :bigass:

Also in Indianapolis, I-70 E to I-74/465 E. It's 1.3 miles between the last entrance from the ramp to I-70 E and the split between the I-465 directions.

DJ Particle

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on April 04, 2021, 12:03:34 PM

On Street View, that looks to be a two-lane road for quite a bit.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 05, 2021, 12:04:08 AM
Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on April 04, 2021, 12:03:34 PM

On Street View, that looks to be a two-lane road for quite a bit.

It is. The single lane one way portion is less than 1,000 ft long at the end. Sure, there aren't technically any other driveways or intersections on the stretch Hwy 61 measured, but I certainly wouldn't consider it an onramp.

C/D roads kinda muddle this a bit, but US 3 in Nashua, NH has some contenders:
Exit 1 southbound offramp - 1.1 mi
(MA) Exit 91 northbound onramp - 2.0 mi

There's also the southern I-93/293/NH 101 interchange in Manchester: https://goo.gl/maps/yG7ikcxJKcQDLnwT7

And the ramp from I-95 northbound to NH 16 northbound in Portsmouth: https://goo.gl/maps/TV6g7Cedqco36zi49 (1.8 mi)

I assume it would be cheating to include the Scarborough Connector in Maine.  ;-)
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

sprjus4

Quote from: jmacswimmer on April 04, 2021, 11:34:29 AM
(Those with better knowledge can correct me, but I'm under the impression the design of these ramps is a relic from when I-95 was to be routed around Richmond?  The NB ramp especially, which is striped for 2 lanes but appears to be wide enough for 4 lanes, seems to hint at this.)
Yes.

Zeffy

PA 332 to 295 EB(NB) in Lower Makefield township, PA has a rather large loop ramp that Google Maps is saying is 1/2 a mile. It feels like it's huge when you're on it.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.234387,-74.8813622/40.2340696,-74.8818236/@40.2333936,-74.8809937,17.5z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Zeffy on April 05, 2021, 11:32:30 AM
PA 332 to 295 EB(NB) in Lower Makefield township, PA has a rather large loop ramp that Google Maps is saying is 1/2 a mile. It feels like it's huge when you're on it.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.234387,-74.8813622/40.2340696,-74.8818236/@40.2333936,-74.8809937,17.5z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

This reminded me of another one: MD 2 SB to I-695 EB south of Baltimore - large enough that a shopping center is inside the cloverleaf!
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

1995hoo

Westbound I-10 to southbound FL-23 is a 1.8-mile long ramp. While the OP excluded toll roads and FL-23 is a toll road, I've listed it anyway because it was constructed as a fully-ORT facility and there's nothing "toll road specific" about the interchange design–it's just a really long ramp.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 05, 2021, 12:28:39 PM
Westbound I-10 to southbound FL-23 is a 1.8-mile long ramp. While the OP excluded toll roads and FL-23 is a toll road, I've listed it anyway because it was constructed as a fully-ORT facility and there's nothing "toll road specific" about the interchange design–it's just a really long ramp.

Wow. That's just a big interchange in general, probably one of the largest cloverleafs I've ever seen (compare the loop sizes to the nearby Chaffee Road interchange, for example).

The connection to US 90 is also interesting, presumably it was designed that way to allow for a future northbound extension of FL-23.

CoreySamson

I've always thought the eastern end of the Polk Parkway in Lakeland, FL had a huge loop ramp:

I-4 WB to FL 570 SB (1 mile long)
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.