Roads with severely overgrown foliage

Started by index, April 07, 2021, 05:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Max Rockatansky

Golden State Boulevard from Kingsburg north to the Fresno City Limit is getting overrun with plants that once adorned US 99.

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 07, 2021, 05:28:27 PM
Golden State Boulevard from Kingsburg north to the Fresno City Limit is getting overrun with plants that once adorned US 99.
I got put on that road on Geoguessr once and I couldn't believe how ugly and just terrible overall it was once I figured out the location. I thought that CalTrans made a good effort to keep their roads in good shape, but apparently that doesn't apply to the Central Valley.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on April 07, 2021, 05:31:22 PM
I got put on that road on Geoguessr once and I couldn't believe how ugly and just terrible overall it was once I figured out the location. I thought that CalTrans made a good effort to keep their roads in good shape, but apparently that doesn't apply to the Central Valley.

Golden State hasn't been maintained by the DOH or Caltrans since the early 1960s.  That's all under the responsibility of; Fresno County, Kingsburg, Selma, Fowler and the City of Fresno.  Considering how little traffic Golden State gets now I get why it really in the budget to keep it nice looking for any of those entities.  The small freeway segment of Golden State in Fresno also has a issue with homeless camps in the median approaching CA 99.

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 07, 2021, 05:55:35 PM
Quote from: thspfc on April 07, 2021, 05:31:22 PM

Golden State hasn't been maintained by the DOH or Caltrans since the early 1960s.  That's all under the responsibility of; Fresno County, Kingsburg, Selma, Fowler and the City of Fresno.  Considering how little traffic Golden State gets now I get why it really in the budget to keep it nice looking for any of those entities.  The small freeway segment of Golden State in Fresno also has a issue with homeless camps in the median approaching CA 99.
Ah, I didn't realize that it's not a state route.

Rothman

El Camino Real in Burlingame, CA used to have huge eucalyptus trees lining it, growing over the curb and sidewalk.  Some are still there, but they tried to thin them out.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Any back road in New England.  See MA 8A, MA 143, MA 112...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

OCGuy81

Haven't driven a lot of backroads in the Deep South, but I imagine kudzu has taken over a lot of overpasses?

webny99

Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 07, 2021, 07:37:27 PM
Haven't driven a lot of backroads in the Deep South, but I imagine kudzu has taken over a lot of overpasses?

Kudzu was actually the first thing I thought of. Can't seem to find any specific examples, but I recall it being bad in rural parts of Tennessee and southern Virginia.

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on April 07, 2021, 10:15:46 PM

Kudzu was actually the first thing I thought of. Can't seem to find any specific examples, but I recall it being bad in rural parts of Tennessee and southern Virginia.
I've taken many trips down to Appalachia over the past few decades.  I have to say that there's less of it -- at least in the areas I frequented -- than there was when I was a kid.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on April 07, 2021, 10:17:35 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 07, 2021, 10:15:46 PM

I've taken many trips down to Appalachia over the past few decades.  I have to say that there's less of it -- at least in the areas I frequented -- than there was when I was a kid.

This was several years ago for me, too. The locations I'm thinking of were in the Smokies and in far southwestern Virginia (west of Abingdon). I've never noticed it in PA, WV, or elsewhere.

Rothman

It's definitely in WV and I'd bet PA, too.

plain

US 1 in Morrisville, PA, especially SB past the Pennsylvania Ave interchange. Pretty overgrown there
Newark born, Richmond bred

formulanone

Quote from: plain on April 07, 2021, 11:34:49 PM
US 1 in Morrisville, PA, especially SB past the Pennsylvania Ave interchange. Pretty overgrown there

No doubt!

Been on I-65 a few times in the summer months in Alabama and there's weeds at least 2 feet tall in the median or swale.

US 77 (in 2012, before the I-69E designation) near Harlingen was really overgrown in areas:

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ErmineNotyours

This tree is purely truck trimmed, not worker trimmed.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: formulanone on April 08, 2021, 08:39:42 AM
Quote from: plain on April 07, 2021, 11:34:49 PM

No doubt!

Those are actually on the stretch between Kennett Square and the MD line.

The Merritt Parkway (CT 15) is notorious for its trees, and ones that often fall over.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

HighwayStar

Other than the safety concerns that might arise I really do like roads that are "overgrown", it is one reason why the east has such beautiful highway landscaping without even really trying in most cases. In many areas as long as unsound trees are removed and any required line of sight is maintained I think this "overgrown" look really reduces the visual impact of the road.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

kernals12

The Merritt Parkway is fairly infamous for this.

CoreySamson

I would think I-H3 in Hawaii would be pretty overgrown in spots based on what I've seen.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.