News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2 lane freeways

Started by ethanman62187, September 05, 2011, 12:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

ghYHZ

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 05, 2011, 01:07:21 PM
Several of Nova Scotia's 100-series routes are of that sort. Some have interchanges, some don't (e.g., on NS-103 heading east from Yarmouth towards Shelburne and Liverpool, some of the crossroads have "exit" numbers even though they're not interchanges, whereas NS-101 has some interchanges on some of the two-lane portions). The speed limit on those is generally 100 and passing is usually perfectly safe.

Here's a typical "Super 2"  interchange in Nova Scotia: James River Exit 30 on TCH104. Speed Limit is 100 kmh.  Full off/on access in both directions........ you have to be a bit more careful when merging as traffic can't get over to let you in.

ghYHZ

In Nova Scotia most overpasses on the Super 2s were constructed so they could eventually be extended when the highway was twinned.
Here's West River Station Road at Salt Springs on TCH104. This section was twinned in the late "˜90s. The original structure is on the left. The square abutments were buried for about 30 years then uncovered when this section was twinned and the structure extended to the right.

West of this structure, the highway was twinned with the original carriageway becoming the new westbound lanes. East of the structure (below) a totally new divided 13 KM by-pass was constructed to Alma. In the photo you can see where the old alignment extending through the gap in the trees and joined the original Trunk 4.

To appease the business owners on the by-passed section, a "Service-Loop"  was identified but as you can see on the sign, in the years since, most business have closed and the gas, food, lodging symbols have been plated over.

AsphaltPlanet

These are great photos. I like the service loop signage to appease businesses along the old highway. Pity it didn't really work.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

ghYHZ

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 10, 2011, 03:04:54 PM
These are great photos........

Thanks......it was a great weekend to be out with the camera. It's Thanksgiving here with summer like tempretures!

1995hoo

Quote from: ghYHZ on October 10, 2011, 02:42:56 PM
Several of Nova Scotia's 100-series routes are of that sort. Some have interchanges, some don't (e.g., on NS-103 heading east from Yarmouth towards Shelburne and Liverpool, some of the crossroads have "exit" numbers even though they're not interchanges, whereas NS-101 has some interchanges on some of the two-lane portions). The speed limit on those is generally 100 and passing is usually perfectly safe.

Here's a typical "Super 2"  interchange in Nova Scotia: James River Exit 30 on TCH104. Speed Limit is 100 kmh.  Full off/on access in both directions........ you have to be a bit more careful when merging as traffic can't get over to let you in.

When you live in the DC area, as I do, you just assume people won't do that anyway!

It's been three years since I was last in Nova Scotia and the driving there was far more civilized than it is around here, though some of the roads on the eastern side of Cape Breton Island were in quite atrocious shape (and we didn't go around the southeast corner on the Fleur-de-lis Trail, which I was told is among the worst road conditions in the Maritimes).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

AsphaltPlanet

It's Thanksgiving here too, I live in Ontario.  I visited Nova Scotia for a couple of days back in 2006. I only really got to see Halifax during that time. If I get the chance to go back what I'd really like to do is drive the Cabot Trail.

Back on topic I was into Quebec a few weeks ago and they have an impressive network of two lane freeways like Nova Scotia. MTQ, Quebec's Transportation Ministry is just about to open the final leg of a new 2 lane freeway that will link Gatineau to Metro Montreal.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 10, 2011, 05:13:29 PM
It's Thanksgiving here too, I live in Ontario.  I visited Nova Scotia for a couple of days back in 2006. I only really got to see Halifax during that time. If I get the chance to go back what I'd really like to do is drive the Cabot Trail.

Back on topic I was into Quebec a few weeks ago and they have an impressive network of two lane freeways like Nova Scotia. MTQ, Quebec's Transportation Ministry is just about to open the final leg of a new 2 lane freeway that will link Gatineau to Metro Montreal.

I think there's a few more sections left to build before A-50 is actually completed. The section that is to be opened in the next weeks ends in Fassett or Montebello.

Like Nova Scotia, the overpasses on all super-2 autoroutes in QC are designed to leave room for twinning. In fact, they don't even bury the structure.

The current super-2 autoroutes in Québec are:
  • A-20 from Rimouski to Mont-Joli;
  • A-30 in Salaberry-de-Valleyfield (twinning in progress; to be renumbered to A-530 next year);
  • A-30 from Bécancour to Gentilly;
  • A-50 except through Gatineau, Lachute, and between the Mirabel Airport and A-15;
  • A-55 between A-20 and Bécancour;
  • Some of A-73, perhaps some of A-70 (not yet clinched);
  • A-955;
  • Probably a few more 3-digits I missed.

Welcome to AARoads, AsphaltPlanet!

ethanman62187

Quote from: ghYHZ on October 10, 2011, 02:42:56 PM

Wow!  Nice 2 lane freeway pictures of Nova Scotia.
I like all of this. I like va sr 28 to be an interstate highway.

ethanman62187

Quote from: ghYHZ on October 10, 2011, 02:50:49 PM
In Nova Scotia most overpasses on the Super 2s were constructed so they could eventually be extended when the highway was twinned.
Here's West River Station Road at Salt Springs on TCH104. This section was twinned in the late "˜90s. The original structure is on the left. The square abutments were buried for about 30 years then uncovered when this section was twinned and the structure extended to the right.

West of this structure, the highway was twinned with the original carriageway becoming the new westbound lanes. East of the structure (below) a totally new divided 13 KM by-pass was constructed to Alma. In the photo you can see where the old alignment extending through the gap in the trees and joined the original Trunk 4.

To appease the business owners on the by-passed section, a "Service-Loop"  was identified but as you can see on the sign, in the years since, most business have closed and the gas, food, lodging symbols have been plated over.

I think that 110 KM/H should handle this 2 lane freeway.
I like all of this. I like va sr 28 to be an interstate highway.

NE2

I think the mods should handle you.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

I believe the speed limit is indeed 110 on there (km/h, BTW, not "KM/H").

froggie

Not sure how Nova Scotia does it, but on the New Brunswick side, the Super-2s didn't go higher than 100km/h, at least those Super-2s I've been on (parts of NB 1 and also NB 15).

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on November 01, 2011, 08:37:36 PM
Not sure how Nova Scotia does it, but on the New Brunswick side, the Super-2s didn't go higher than 100km/h, at least those Super-2s I've been on (parts of NB 1 and also NB 15).

I was referring to the roads shown in ethanman's most recent post, which aren't Super-2s. The Super-2s I've driven in Nova Scotia were generally posted at 100.

I hit 140 going through the Cobequid Pass (not a Super-2, and posted at 110) and it seemed quite reasonable, but no doubt it would have been a hefty ticket had I been stopped.

froggie

Right, those are 4-lane freeways, but ethanman referred to them as 2-lane.  110km/h in those 4-lane cases makes perfect sensee...same speed limit New Brunswick generally uses on the 4-lane parts of NB 1 and NB 2.

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on November 01, 2011, 09:53:39 PM
Right, those are 4-lane freeways, but ethanman referred to them as 2-lane.  110km/h in those 4-lane cases makes perfect sensee...same speed limit New Brunswick generally uses on the 4-lane parts of NB 1 and NB 2.

Yeah, I noticed his mistake as well, but my wife and I were watching the Caps game and I ran out of time during the commercial to correct him further.....well, that plus I figured it would be a waste of time (the way he worded his post makes no  grammatical or logical sense either).

OCGuy81

Would MD-90, the Ocean City Expressway qualify?

ghYHZ

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 01, 2011, 09:18:46 PM
I hit 140 going through the Cobequid Pass (not a Super-2, and posted at 110) and it seemed quite reasonable, but no doubt it would have been a hefty ticket had I been stopped.
Someone was caught last weekend on the Cobequid Pass doing 172.......It's an automatic seven-day licence suspension with the vehicle impounded also for seven days. Then there's two fines — one for stunting with a fine of $2,410.21 and a loss of six points and one for speeding with a fine of $282.71, three points and a further seven-day licence suspension.
Stunting is 50km/h over the limit........I'll be heading over the Pass in about an hour on my way to New Brunswick but it won't be at that speed!

froggie

QuoteWould MD-90, the Ocean City Expressway qualify?

Most of it, yes.  There's a traffic signal on the Isle of Wight, so that's the end of the freeway, but west of there to US 50 is 2-lane freeway.  From just west of the St. Martin River to just east of US 113 is even 2-lane divided freeway.

hbelkins

Testing this theory/statement...

Quote from: tolbs17 on April 13, 2021, 09:44:10 PM
the first thread you linked shows ethanman62187 as the OP (which is banned right now so it would be pointless to bump that thread). If you try bumping it, it will automatically get locked.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tolbs17

Wtf... Well, just watch it get locked!

WillWeaverRVA

Posting in legendary ethanman thread.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

SkyPesos

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.