News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The Most Boring Stretches of Highway

Started by nwi_navigator_1181, March 07, 2013, 12:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: texaskdog on July 07, 2020, 03:21:33 PM
... Nebraska ... North Oklahoma ... west Kansas....

There's some pretty driving out there, if you know what roads to take.

Nebraska
northern Oklahoma
western Kansas
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jbnv

I hope I go to heaven.  If I go to hell I'll have to drive I-39 in to work to I-180 to that factory.  My vacations will be limited to I-238, I-99, Breezewood, Nebraska, west Iowa, North Oklahoma, west Kansas....

Florida, but only from Pensacola to Tallahassee. If you've really been naughty, the Florida Turnpike approaching Orlando--but you never get there.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

AlexandriaVA

The west side of the Beltway, between Springfield and Gallows Rd, is pretty boring, when you consider how developed the area is.

I think a lot of it comes down to tree buffers. By contrast, 395 doesn't have much in the way of tree buffers, and as a result you can practically see into people's balconies along the highway (e.g. Southern Towers and Pentagon City).

Roadgeekteen

The entire state of Connecticut except CT 15.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ZLoth

The entirety of I-20 west of Dallas-Fort Worth. My mother and I drove on it in January, 2019 when I moved to DFW. It's flat, it's dry, and it's not visually appealing.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

jbnv

Quote from: ZLoth on March 26, 2021, 05:10:29 AM
The entirety of I-20 west of Dallas-Fort Worth. My mother and I drove on it in January, 2019 when I moved to DFW. It's flat, it's dry, and it's not visually appealing.

I-20 from DFW to Shreveport isn't much more exciting.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jbnv on March 26, 2021, 09:32:19 AM

I-20 in general is a strong contender for most boring Interstate in general. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 26, 2021, 09:34:17 AM

That would probably be something like I-16 or I-22.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SkyPesos

This one may be an effect as my most traveled rural interstate segment, but I-71 between Cincy and Columbus. Even though it's only about 80 miles from where I am in Mason to the southern I-270 interchange, it can sometimes feel like double the length. I also have all the exit numbers and route numbers between the two beltways memorized from using it so much. Thankfully, there are a couple of alternatives, like I-75/675/70 and US 42.

I-74 between Cincy and Indy takes second place for the same reason as I-71; one of my most traveled rural interstate segments.

thspfc

Wisconsin's most boring road has to be I-39 between Portage and Stevens Point. In my opinion it's not even close.

webny99

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 26, 2021, 12:25:09 PM
I-71 between Cincy and Columbus.

Have to agree that it is very boring but it should definitely be six-laned.

SkyPesos

Quote from: webny99 on March 26, 2021, 12:55:50 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on March 26, 2021, 12:25:09 PM
I-71 between Cincy and Columbus.

Have to agree that it is very boring but it should definitely be six-laned.
There's currently a short 6 lane section the US 35 and OH 41 interchanges, but it seems like that ODOT is planning for the entire rural segment between OH 48 in Mason and OH 665 in Grove City to be 6 laned sometime in the future. When the Jeremiah Morrow Bridge replacement was done about 5 years ago, there's space on the left that's reserved for a future 3rd lane in each direction.

mgk920

Quote from: thspfc on March 26, 2021, 12:51:49 PM
Wisconsin’s most boring road has to be I-39 between Portage and Stevens Point. In my opinion it’s not even close.

I've always found that road to be interestingly varied.  Every few minutes on it, it changes its character.  The only remotely 'boring' part is the flatlands section north of Coloma (WI 21).

IMHO, the only lengthy part of I-39 that might 'snooze' most average non-roadgeeks is the part between the Illinois River bridge and I-55 in Normal, IL.

Mike

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on July 07, 2020, 04:20:56 PM
... Nebraska ... North Oklahoma ... west Kansas....

There's some pretty driving out there, if you know what roads to take.
northern Oklahoma

Northwest Oklahoma is so random, it's hard to know what you're going to get. This view is on the same road as the first link you posted–feels like worlds apart.

The boring part of Oklahoma, if any, is probably the north-central part. I-35 north of about Guthrie doesn't have a whole lot going for it, and there's really not much interesting to be found in that general area off the interstate, either.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Road Hog

I-20 is OK west of Fort Worth until you get to Ranger Hill. There's the Brazos Valley, Mary's, and the scenery which I can only describe as "knobby." Once you get past Ranger Hill, it gets flat and boring quick.

ZLoth

Quote from: Road Hog on March 27, 2021, 07:25:30 AM
I-20 is OK west of Fort Worth until you get to Ranger Hill. There's the Brazos Valley, Mary's, and the scenery which I can only describe as "knobby." Once you get past Ranger Hill, it gets flat and boring quick.
To be fair, I have only taken I-20 East of DFW once since I moved here.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

US 89

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 26, 2021, 11:27:39 AM

I've clinched 22 and most of 16, and I will say that I-16 is far more boring. 22 at least goes through some interesting hilly terrain in Alabama and hits a few cities. 16 is just trees upon trees and barely even hits any towns at all along the way.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: US 89 on March 30, 2021, 11:39:36 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 26, 2021, 11:27:39 AM

I've clinched 22 and most of 16, and I will say that I-16 is far more boring. 22 at least goes through some interesting hilly terrain in Alabama and hits a few cities. 16 is just trees upon trees and barely even hits any towns at all along the way.
The east end of I-16 is probably ok.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 30, 2021, 02:23:34 PM
The east end of I-16 is probably ok.

Only because you can't wait for it to end. 

In seriousness, other than the I-95 interchange and then the eastern terminus, nothing exciting.  And the I-95 interchange isn't even particularly cool nor are the control cities ones you'd get excited about. 

Chris

jbnv

Pretty much every stretch of I-75 that's flat and outside of a city is boring.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jbnv on October 11, 2021, 10:49:52 AM
I felt like the part in Northern Michigan is at least sort of interesting.

jbnv

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 11, 2021, 01:55:03 PM
Quote from: jbnv on October 11, 2021, 10:49:52 AM
I felt like the part in Northern Michigan is at least sort of interesting.

I haven't been up I-75 past Detroit so I'll take your word for it.

Flint1979

I-75 north of exit 202 is pretty scenic. South of there not so much. You have Bay County which is pretty boring, then Saginaw County which features the Zilwaukee Bridge which isn't very scenic.

Flint1979

Quote from: Thomas77 on October 11, 2021, 01:32:08 AM
I believe it's US-23 and I-75 from Columbus to Toledo.

It's a really brutal drive and feels like 6 hours even if it's only about 2 hours and 30 minutes.

There's US-23. There is nothing to see on the entire route. Mom Wilson's is always closed. The scenery is just farmland and trees. It is an extremely flat and barren landscape and for some reason the speed limit is only 65. Another problem with this route is it starts getting painful to drive on towards Delaware. With stop lights every 2 seconds, Always congested, etc...

I-75 is better because it is 70 mph and does not have random stoplights and is an interstate. (Which means it has more standards. But it's just as flat and barren as US-23 is. And has nothing to stop at until you hit Toledo.

I personally just started using US-68 and I-75. It's a much better drive than US-23 and OH-15. Since the I-75 stretch is relatively short and it's quick.
I-75 has Lima, Findlay, North Baltimore and Bowling Green that have major exits. North Baltimore is the halfway point between my house and Cincinnati so it's always been a stopping off point at least for me.

thspfc

Wisconsin's most boring is easily I-39 between Oxford and Plover.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.