News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Strange habits you have

Started by golden eagle, February 10, 2015, 11:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

I never use the right shift key either. But then, I don't "touch type" in the classic way, with fingers resting on the home row and such. I have this hybrid method where I use only my index and middle fingers to hit letters, and I pivot my wrists in addition to moving my fingers in order to reach all the buttons. I use my left ring finger to hit shift, caps lock, and tab. I use my right ring finger to hit enter. Backspace, interestingly, I use my middle finger for rather than my ring finger. Spacebar is always hit with my right index finger, never my left.

I *can* type without looking at my hands via this method and usually do, but it's somewhat dependent on having the precise layout of my laptop's keyboard memorized, such that when I go to type on a keyboard I'm not familiar with I make tons of typos if I don't watch where my fingers are going.

I used to hunt and peck with just two fingers when I was little and stubbornly refused to learn the touch typing method since whenever I attempted it it slowed me down further. Over the years as I used computers more and more I learned to start using a few more fingers since it enabled me to type faster. But seasoned touch typists can still kick my ass, I can't go much past 45 words per minute.

I also misspell a lot of words in stupid ways and have to go back and correct them. The typing speed test I just took docked me points because I typed "numberal" instead of "numeral", and as I was typing this sentence I typed "poiints". If you really want to fuck with me, take away the red squiggly lines that show up under words not in the dictionary and watch how much I embarrass myself.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NE2

Most of what Duke87 just said applies to me too. However, I can usually sense when I make a typo as I'm making it.

I've also remapped a few keys, most notably using right alt as enter to avoid reaching over with my pinky. And scroll lock is pause/play because who the fuck uses scroll lock? (yeah, spreadsheets)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

Yeah, it's weird, I usually sense a typo right after I make it when I use a regular keyboard, but not when I use a touchscreen. I don't know why that is. Maybe because I make constant typos on the touchscreen due to bumping "m" when I want a space and the like? I've done that so often it's ridiculous. (I wish I understood how autocorrect decides when to change something and when it doesn't. It seems wildly inconsistent–sometimes it'll fix a word and sometimes it won't fix the same word, such as earlier in this sentence when I typed "snd" and it didn't fix it to "and" despite usually doing so. Maybe with the "m" issue I've done it so often it thinks I want the "m" there?)

I used to freak people out because I'd type on a laptop without looking at the screen or the keyboard and I wouldn't be making any typos.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: english si on February 17, 2015, 11:52:00 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 17, 2015, 12:46:45 PM
I don't like hot dogs, but I do like turkey dogs with Worcestershire Sauce on them.
How do you get the Worcestershire Sauce to stay on a hot dog - soaked into the bun?
I don't eat them with buns either. I'm quite weird that way.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Pete from Boston

One should never eat a hot dog that wouldn't be delicious on its own.

kphoger

I don't heat up my Pop-Tarts.  Neither does my wife.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: kphoger on February 18, 2015, 10:17:36 AM
I don't either.
In fact, I don't think I've met one person who heats up their Pop-Tarts.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Zeffy

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 18, 2015, 10:30:57 AM
I don't either.

Brown Sugar Cinnamon pop tarts taste amazing when you heat them.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

J N Winkler

I type with all five fingers (both Shift keys) and don't eat Pop-Tarts, warm or cold.

Where keyboarding is concerned, I think I am an anomaly only in using the left Ctrl key exclusively, and never using the right Alt key on US Standard keyboards at all, since I am too used to alternate keyboard layouts where this maps to the AltGr key and is used to enter special characters.  I often take my fingers off the home keys to enter digits (especially the ones that map to my little fingers), but I don't think this is terribly unusual among touch typists.

I wonder if some of the confusion regarding "CO" (as in clothing-optional) could have resulted from there actually being a meet planned for CO (the state) later this year.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

renegade

Quote from: Zeffy on February 18, 2015, 11:38:28 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 18, 2015, 10:30:57 AM
I don't either.

Brown Sugar Cinnamon pop tarts taste amazing when you heat them.

Have you ever tried butter on a Pop-Tart?  It's so frickin' good.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

djsinco

Quote from: kurumi on February 11, 2015, 10:59:58 AM
I eat salad with chopsticks*. Instead of trying to stab or balance veggies on your fork, you get a firm grip, with less mess. It's a superior tool. I don't think it's strange, but I've never seen anyone else do it (that wasn't influenced by me)

* also recommended for those of you into Cheetos
My method supersedes yours; I eat my salad with my bare hands, like a vegan caveman.
3 million miles and counting

vtk

Quote from: kphoger on February 17, 2015, 01:23:48 PM
Quote from: vtk on February 17, 2015, 06:47:22 AM
Quote from: kphoger on February 16, 2015, 06:41:37 PM
I think we might be halfway to a CO meet.
(And we'll see if anyone but @vtk gets that one.)

I hope someone else gets it, because it went right over my head.

Man!  I was so pleased with myself for that one too...

With all the nude sleeping posts, I figured we should start making at least some of the road meets clothing-optional.

I parsed CO as Colorado, and wondered what Colorado had to do with anything.  I think when I encounter the phrase "˜clothing optional', it's usually not abbreviated.  So, unless the context is already established as being about places you don't have to wear clothes, I'll likely only recognize CO as being the state.  (Unless I'm listening to railroad employees, then CO probably means conductor.)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

kphoger

^^ Right. I just figured that, if I had given you any context at all, someone else would have figured it out (that darned Google). Oh, well...

Also I'm very happy that we've made it to the sixth page already.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MNHighwayMan

I know it's not strange in this community, but in general pulling to the side of the road to get out and take pictures of road signs is a strange habit (that I indeed have.) :biggrin:

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on October 26, 2017, 12:44:55 AM
there's two other quotes I want to insert here, but they're not in the topic summary, so I can't figure out how to insert them.

In this case, I usually open a separate program like Notepad.  Then I go to the other thread, click on Insert Quote, copy the code, and paste it into Notepad.  Then I go back to the thread at hand, copy out of Notepad, and paste it into the reply window.
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2017, 11:52:46 AM
Quote from: webny99 on October 26, 2017, 12:44:55 AM
there's two other quotes I want to insert here, but they're not in the topic summary, so I can't figure out how to insert them.

In this case, I usually open a separate program like Notepad.  Then I go to the other thread, click on Insert Quote, copy the code, and paste it into Notepad.  Then I go back to the thread at hand, copy out of Notepad, and paste it into the reply window.

I tend to duplicate the current tab in Chrome, go back to the "read" view, find the post in question, select "Insert Quote", copy the text, switch back to the original tab, and then paste it. One less program to open.

Quote from: webny99 on October 26, 2017, 12:52:54 PM
My last two posts above had actual new content that I typed, but it must not have saved. I'll update them when I get around to it.

How much content did you write? Surely it wouldn't take more than a few moments to update the post :-D

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on October 26, 2017, 03:03:28 PM
Weird things are happening to my posts. So far, three posts have only the quotes showing up, not what I typed. The post above posted partially (until I edited it just now) stopping halfway through the word "remember"  :confused:

What device are you using to post? Is all the content in the text box before hitting "post"?

kphoger

Werd thing are happning to my pots. So far, thee posts hae ony the quotes shwing up, not what I typed. The post above posted partialllly (until I edited it just now stopping halfway thrugh the word remember"   :love:

I just assumed someone strangled you from behind and you couldn't get all the way through "remember".  Glad to know you're OK.

(How's my quote treating you?)
Male pronouns, please.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: webny99 on October 26, 2017, 12:47:19 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 26, 2017, 06:02:41 AM
I know it's not strange in this community, but in general pulling to the side of the road to get out and take pictures of road signs is a strange habit (that I indeed have.) :biggrin:

EDITED to add my actual content  :D

I, of course, don't think this is a strange habit. I don't do it myself, though, as I'd prefer to spend my time exploring or clinching, than photographing. Also, I know if I started taking sign pics, I would not be able to stop. It would get out of control way too fast!

To me, clinching is interesting in concept, but after I've done it, the only evidence of it is my memory and belief in the fact that I did it. Photographs, on the other hand, can prove that I've been to both endpoints, not to mention that they capture the essence of the time and place–was it cloudy and cool, or sunny and warm? Did the DOT just install new signage, or has the sign been out in the sun for too many years? What's the road like: smooth and fresh, or cracked and crumbling? And so on. These are all the fine details that can eventually be forgotten, if they had not been saved by the indelible evidence of a picture. This applies even more strongly to highways that once were but have been lost to time.

I definitely agree, though, that it can get out of control, especially if you're like me and don't keep up on sorting and naming. I have a massive folder of new images from my last few trips that needs to be edited and sorted. X-(

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on October 26, 2017, 03:16:17 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 26, 2017, 03:05:36 PM
Weird things are happening to my posts. So far, three posts have only the quotes showing up, not what I typed. The post above posted partially (until I edited it just now) stopping halfway through the word "remember"  :confused:

What device are you using to post? Is all the content in the text box before hitting "post"?

Well, given my "thumbs" comment, it should have been obvious :-D

True.

The only posting problem I have is that, sometimes, I'll hit post, and then Chrome will spin forever, until eventually getting a 304 error. I'll hit back, and then the text box is empty, but I can see in the topic summary that my post actually went through.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on October 26, 2017, 03:44:54 PM
The only posting problem I have is that, sometimes, I'll hit post, and then Chrome will spin forever, until eventually getting a 304 error. I'll hit back, and then the text box is empty, but I can see in the topic summary that my post actually went through.

Same.

Roadgeekteen

I sometimes have to touch something multiple times in different ways or else I feel uncomfortable. Have no idea why this is or what causes it.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 26, 2017, 10:46:32 PM
I sometimes have to touch something multiple times in different ways or else I feel uncomfortable. Have no idea why this is or what causes it.

It's possible that what you're experiencing is Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (but I don't know for a fact). I actually have a severe form of this. OCD (the abbreviation for this) can cause you to do Ordering and Repeating rituals (also known as compulsions), among many other possible kinds of compulsions. With the ordering and repeating compulsions, you may have to do the same thing over and over again (which could include touching things such as a wall or a chair - or you press the Caps Lock key over and over again multiple times a minute when you're on the computer *cough*yup, that's me*cough*). If you don't do this, you may feel uncomfortable, or even experience debilitating anxiety. You may have to repeat stuff until it feels "just right" or "perfect" to stop, or once you have reached the "mandatory number" that the OCD says you "must get to." This is more common than you would think. Of course, I am no doctor, but I have rich personal experience with these kinds of things and tons of knowledge on mental health, so I felt obligated to let you know all of this. I might tell your parent(s) or someone close about this and get it checked out, in case it is in fact Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (which is somewhat likely considering the habits that you spoke of).
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

CNGL-Leudimin

What happened here? I swear I posted in this thread last afternoon...

Anyway, I have the habit of running every race (except orienteering courses) with the same T-shirt. Somehow it's my lucky T-shirt.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Takumi

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 27, 2017, 05:13:53 AM
What happened here? I swear I posted in this thread last afternoon...
You did, but let’s pretend you didn’t. That was waaaaayyyyyyy too much information.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.