News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Longest limited access highway (freeway, expressway) without exit numbers?

Started by TheStranger, January 14, 2021, 02:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Thought of this lately in context with the upcoming full opening of Metro Manila's Skyway Stage 3 mainline.  Even though this road was constructed from 2014-2020, NONE of the exits on the entire road have been numbered at all.  The current extent of the road from the Alabang commercial district in Muntinlupa to the NLEX Balintawak toll plaza is 21.2 miles/34km, eventually to be extended south to Susana Heights for a total length of 22.4 miles/36km.

The North Luzon Expressway that this newer route connects to, does have numbers (and unlike most of California, external tabs!); to a lesser extent the South Luzon Expressway does use a few numbered exits on the other side - so this is not a Philippines-wide thing for these to not be used. 

Had this question been asked in the early days of the AARoads forum, the answer probably would have been some sort of major California freeway, but despite the glacial pace of CalNEXUS it does feel as if most in this state have been 90% numbered as of now. 

So other than the Filipino example above, are there any roads of significant length in the US/Canada or elsewhere that are completely devoid of numbered exits?  (For the sake of discussion a road that might have one numbered exit but otherwise no others in a significant stretch is also interesting enough to mention, and in the past would have encompassed some California roads.)
Chris Sampang

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

SkyPesos

I have a couple google sheets of exit numbers on unnumbered exits freeways in a fictional thread. Here's some freeways I gave fictional exit numbers for already:
- US 36 Denver-Boulder Turnpike
- US 36 Missouri
- US 22/322 Pennsylvania
- OH 161/16
- US 30 Ohio
- US 23 Ohio
- US 35 Dayton
- US 67 Missouri
- US 61/AotS Missouri

TheStranger

Quote from: 1 on January 14, 2021, 02:14:03 PM
Do Jersey freeways count?

I would absolutely say so.  My first thought - and the road that specifically inspired that term in my head years ago - is Route 17 south of I-287, though I haven't been on it since 1998.
Chris Sampang

kphoger

Almost anything you can find in Mexico.  Only a rare few highways there have exit numbers.

For example, here is a 244-km stretch of controlled-access toll road with no exit numbers.

And here is a 248-km stretch that, other than a very short stretch of Jersey freeway, is also controlled-access.

Those are just two I thought of off the top of my head.  There are likely even longer ones out there.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jemacedo9

Since PA doesn't put exit numbers on many of it's non-interstate freeways, there are several...the longest two I could find are
US 219 freeway, 66 miles give or take a few
US 322 Clarks Ferry to the base of Seven Mountains, 52 miles when combining the longer US 22 concurrency plus the stand alone portion. If you didn't have the gap at Clarks Ferry, you could add another approx 15 miles.

US 15 north of Williamsport was 61 miles, but exit numbers were added within the last couple of years.

CoreySamson

I think Beltway 8 would be one of the best Texas candidates until the Grand Parkway is finished. No exit numbers on either of those routes (or on any state routes, for that matter).
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

kphoger

Quote from: CoreySamson on January 14, 2021, 03:55:28 PM
I think Beltway 8 would be one of the best Texas candidates until the Grand Parkway is finished. No exit numbers on either of those routes (or on any state routes, for that matter).

For those keeping score, Beltway 8 is 88 miles long.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

thspfc

I-75 in south Florida goes 35 miles without exit numbers between nowhere and nowhere.

cl94

Until a few years ago, the Taconic State Parkway in New York went over 100 miles with no exit numbers. That was easily the winner in the Northeast. Since 2017, it has had exit numbers.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

I-55

US-82 goes fully-controlled access for 39 miles in Mississippi without exit numbers between MS-25 and the Alabama state line.

US-30 in Ohio goes 46 miles between Upper Sandusky and Mansfield. If Ohio continues numbering exits this one will likely be eventually numbered.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

sprjus4

For Virginia, I believe it would be the VA-288 freeway around Richmond at 32 miles long.

Virginia does not post exit numbers on most arterial freeways, with some exceptions including VA-168 in Hampton Roads, VA-895 in Richmond, VA-267 in Northern Virginia, though does not have much in the way of long distance arterial freeways, besides small limited access portions on long distance arterial divided highways.

Virginia ought to at least add exit numbers to urban freeways that connect into the interstate system, such as VA-164, VA-150, VA-76, VA-288, etc.

bassoon1986

A few Texas examples. There will definitely be some long examples here:

The current completed stretch of TX-99/Grand Parkway around Houston makes 70 miles. The eastern section that will likely be completed next would probably break the Beltway 8 mileage listed above.

TX 121 in Fort Worth and Dallas - 53 miles (it's a mixture of concurrent highway numbers and partially Sam Rayburn Tollway)

George Bush Turnpike (Dallas) 52 miles

Loop 1604 (San Antonio) 39 miles on the northern half of the loop. Limited access from US 90 to roughly Converse.

Dallas North Tollway - 30 miles

If US 287 becomes totally limited access between Ennis and Mansfield, it would be 51 miles long. 61 of you count from I-45 all the way to I-35W. The small stretch of US 287 that hops along I-20 and I-820 would have exit numbers.

iPhone

Ketchup99

Pennsylvania's is probably US-322/US-22 - 72 miles from where the freeway starts near Tusseyville to its southern terminus in Harrisburg at Elmerton Avenue. (I'm counting it as one freeway through Clarks Ferry.)

In fact, I believe that this is one of the longest in the nation - Beltway 8 in Texas being the only one that I've seen that would have a chance at beating it.

Once finished, there will be 86 miles of continuous freeway without exit numbers from I-99 in State College to Harrisburg, coming in just below Beltway 8's 88 miles. Had I-99 never been designated, we'd have 102 miles of US-322/22 freeway without exit numbers - the longest in the nation. Wish my local road was #1, boooooo!

SkyPesos

Quote from: Ketchup99 on January 15, 2021, 11:16:40 PM
Pennsylvania's is probably US-322/US-22 - 72 miles from where the freeway starts near Tusseyville to its southern terminus in Harrisburg at Elmerton Avenue. (I'm counting it as one freeway through Clarks Ferry.)
There's fictional exit numbers for that section on one of my google sheets that's part of another fictional idea ;)

I thought PA would be one of the states that would exit number US route freeway exits when making that sheet, but I was so wrong. Think there's a freeway portion of US 30 between York and Philadelphia, and US 15 from Williamsport to the NY border for PA too.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

rickmastfan67

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 15, 2021, 11:50:17 PM
and US 15 from Williamsport to the NY border for PA too.

That only got exit numbers because of being future I-99, and thus, are based on it's mileage.

-- US 175 --

Quote from: bassoon1986 on January 15, 2021, 07:24:13 PM
A few Texas examples. There will definitely be some long examples here:

The current completed stretch of TX-99/Grand Parkway around Houston makes 70 miles. The eastern section that will likely be completed next would probably break the Beltway 8 mileage listed above.

TX 121 in Fort Worth and Dallas - 53 miles (it's a mixture of concurrent highway numbers and partially Sam Rayburn Tollway)

George Bush Turnpike (Dallas) 52 miles

Loop 1604 (San Antonio) 39 miles on the northern half of the loop. Limited access from US 90 to roughly Converse.

Dallas North Tollway - 30 miles

If US 287 becomes totally limited access between Ennis and Mansfield, it would be 51 miles long. 61 of you count from I-45 all the way to I-35W. The small stretch of US 287 that hops along I-20 and I-820 would have exit numbers.

iPhone

US 175 between the new west terminus at I-45 in Dallas, and the TX 34 bypass exit in Kaufman (the longest freeway portion of US 175) is 32 miles (per Google Maps).

dgolub

Quote from: cl94 on January 14, 2021, 05:52:20 PM
Until a few years ago, the Taconic State Parkway in New York went over 100 miles with no exit numbers. That was easily the winner in the Northeast. Since 2017, it has had exit numbers.

This.

If we're counting things like Jersey freeways that aren't quite full freeways, then some of the ADHS corridors in West Virginia would probably be up there.  For example, Corridor H (US 48), Corridor L (US 19), and Corridor G (US 119).

roadman65

The Jane Addams Tollway in IL was one at one time.
The Tristate Tollway too was one.

Those were long routes and part of the interstate system and even I-90 had its mileposts in reverse.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

webny99

Quote from: cl94 on January 14, 2021, 05:52:20 PM

This brings up an interesting question of what's the current answer for NY? LOSP?

CNGL-Leudimin

Italian autostrade don't have exit numbers. The longest are A1 and A14, both run most of the length of the boot and thus are pretty long.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

epzik8

The Kennett-Oxford Bypass, which is US 1 in Chester County, Pennsylvania from just north of the Maryland line to the Baltimore Pike split/merge in Kennett Township, does not have exit numbers. This is about 21.8 miles.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

ran4sh

If we're looking at historical answers, the obvious one is I-5 in California before the state used exit numbers (so, up to about 20 years ago)
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

bassoon1986

Quote from: ran4sh on January 18, 2021, 04:06:01 PM
If we're looking at historical answers, the obvious one is I-5 in California before the state used exit numbers (so, up to about 20 years ago)
Or I-10 in Texas. I don't think they always had exit numbers, either. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.