News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Have you ever been on television?

Started by hbelkins, July 22, 2021, 02:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Inspired by kphoger's lament that he had no place to post his family's television appearance after one of the c0v1d threads got locked. I thought there was an existing thread for "roadgeeks on TV" but have had no luck finding it.

Post narratives about any television appearances you may have had here, along with links.

I'll refrain from posting every link every time I get interviewed for my job. Ken Jennings (if he's still here) is also excused from posting Jeopardy appearance links.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

I was briefly interviewed by a station in Lansing when our neighborhood flooded in 1998.  Why they would care what a 15 year old had to say I have no idea.

More interestingly my Dad did a spot for Prodigy Online and Regis & Kathie Lee.  He demonstrated how you could order merchandise from Sears and it would be delivered to you.  They even had a Sears van pull onto the set at some point.

tolbs17

On channel 12 (WCTI) I'm sure. I graduated from a program called ProjectSEARCH and I don't know if the video is on youtube but i can find it.

JayhawkCO

I have no links, but as a kid I was on some show about animals and science and got to go to the zoo and read some scripted lines.  More recently, the hotel in which the restaurant I ran was opening our rooftop pool bar, so I got to go on the morning show of Fox 31 and make a cocktail for the anchors.

Chris

CtrlAltDel

I once had the privilege of sitting directly behind home plate at a Cubs game. So, I was on TV, even if I wasn't the focus of the camera.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

NWI_Irish96

I was interviewed by WGN-9 at Taste of Chicago I think in 2001.

I was interviewed by WSBT-22 in South Bend in 2011 to commemorate our family's 50th consecutive year of bowling on Thanksgiving.

As a student manager, I can be spotted on the sideline of a few Notre Dame football games from the 1993 season, most notably the Cotton Bowl.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

1995hoo

I competed on It's Academic when I was in high school and briefly appeared on the show again two years later when I was in the audience to watch my brother compete on the same show.

I used to show up on UVA basketball broadcasts all the time due to being down front with my face painted orange and blue and an orange thing tucked under my hat to make my hair appear orange.

More recently, I was interviewed by a local TV sports reporter after my wife and I got our picture taken with the Stanley Cup after the Capitals won it in 2018. A brief clip of that interview was used on that night's sports report.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

index

According to my mother, yes on WBTV, in 2019. I was volunteering at a political event.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Scott5114

I was interviewed by KWTV when I attended the ODOT open house prior to the demolition of the old I-40 Crosstown in downtown Oklahoma City. I think I said something silly about how even though the road was closed I felt compelled to stay out of the travel lanes.

One of my supervisors saw it and the next day at work he approached me to say, "I saw you on TV. You were wearing a hat." Then he walked off. Thus was the only review of my 30 seconds of fame.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

My post was the inspiration for this thread, and yet I can no longer find the video on the news station's website.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on July 22, 2021, 03:20:29 PM
My post was the inspiration for this thread, and yet I can no longer find the video on the news station's website.

In my experience digging up old news coverage for use as Wikipedia cites, I've found that TV news sites are about the worst about archiving old content. If you really want a long-term record of you talking to a reporter, you need to get in the newspaper.

keithvh

Yes ... "catching" a Home Run ball at a Reds game (2012 against the Marlins) out in right field, after the ball initially bounced off a concession girl's butt.

WillWeaverRVA

I was interviewed for VCU InSight, a campus news program that aired on PBS, about being a Wikipedia admin and a VCU student back in 2007 when Jimmy Wales spoke on campus. Unfortunately the people running the production completely butchered the interview footage, took things I said out of context (oh yes, you should definitely use Wikipedia as a primary source, even though that's not what I said at all). They even combined the "admin" and "student" things to create the strange title of "student administrator". VCU InSight disappeared last fall and I'm honestly glad it's gone.

Other than that I've had a few photos featured on the news but that's it.

EDIT: Duh, as a sports photographer I've made a ton of cameo appearances on broadcasts of VCU basketball games, including a rather infamous one where I'm wandering around aimlessly in the background while a player was being interviewed.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Big John

I was on a local station as a child in 1980 for a charity.

More recently, a co-worker saw me on TV waiting in line to vote in 2008.

Mapmikey

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 22, 2021, 02:58:24 PM
I competed on It's Academic when I was in high school and briefly appeared on the show again two years later when I was in the audience to watch my brother compete on the same show.

I used to show up on UVA basketball broadcasts all the time due to being down front with my face painted orange and blue and an orange thing tucked under my hat to make my hair appear orange.

More recently, I was interviewed by a local TV sports reporter after my wife and I got our picture taken with the Stanley Cup after the Capitals won it in 2018. A brief clip of that interview was used on that night's sports report.

I competed on a similar program in South Carolina when I was a senior in High School (1987) - The Winthrop Challenge.  Won the first match and came back on shortly after to lose the second one.

TheHighwayMan3561

I've worked on TV a handful of times as a sports broadcaster, just small-time local access channels.

I was on TV as a peon at a Dodgers/Brewers game in 2018. The Dodgers were winning a blowout game which caused the home plate seats to clear out, and unlike other ballparks those seats at Miller Park aren't separated by a secured tunnel under the concourse. I spent the bottom of the 9th on the Dodgers' broadcast and you can find me in the highlight of the final out of the game.

The weird sidebar to that was that I had bought a fairly good ticket for my original seat, and I found I liked that seat better than the plate seats. The plate seats felt a lot further from the action than my original seat a number of rows above the first base dugout.

Heh, by a crazy coincidence, this thread was made on the three-year anniversary of that game.

https://youtu.be/-3bMk0Cpt4k?t=142 I'm on the far left in the blue shirt, if you can stomach looking at my gross far self at the 2:20 mark.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

triplemultiplex

Speaking of the Brewers, that's how I made the local news years ago.  Waiting in line on day one of single game ticket sells one February.  What they called the "Arctic Tailgate" back then.  I think it was channel 4.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

MikeTheActuary

I paid for a large chunk of my college education by scholarship won on an academic trivia competition on a local TV station in Memphis (2 seasons).

More recently, I appeared on all four local newscasts a few years ago, and was interviewed on one, as a result of helping out with getting a bunch of middle schoolers to chat with an astronaut on the ISS via ham radio.

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 22, 2021, 03:23:52 PM

In my experience digging up old news coverage for use as Wikipedia cites, I've found that TV news sites are about the worst about archiving old content. If you really want a long-term record of you talking to a reporter, you need to get in the newspaper.

Yes and no. TV stations' links die quite often (unless they're lucky enough to be archived on the Wayback Machine or cached by Google) but I've found that newspaper links expire with great frequency, as well. Sometimes a Facebook memory will pop up from a few years ago where I've shared a newspaper story, and that link will turn out to be U.S. Federal Route 404.

Prior to my current job, where being interviewed by TV reports is an occupational hazard, I appeared in a couple of "Kentucky Life" shows  done by a Lexington television station, where they would highlight counties in their coverage area. I didn't have a speaking role in the ones done for Lee and Breathitt counties, but there's plenty of footage of me doing stuff at the paper office (layout/pasteup of pages, talking on the phone, typing up a story). Then, when I became editor of a paper, I actually did get interviewed about the newspaper for a similar type show. Occasionally someone will post a YouTube link on Facebook and I'll see it.

I've been told I was pretty prominent at the 2003 victory celebration for Kentucky Gov. Ernie Fletcher. I attended the event in Lexington and ended up being right on the front row. I got an email from a former boss saying she'd seen me in the coverage and that I looked pretty happy.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

OCGuy81

My sister and I were on a Nickelodeon game show back in the 90s called Legends of the Hidden Temple. Out in the first round.  Oh well, that's my 15 minutes.

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on July 22, 2021, 07:00:45 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 22, 2021, 03:23:52 PM

Yes and no. TV stations' links die quite often (unless they're lucky enough to be archived on the Wayback Machine or cached by Google) but I've found that newspaper links expire with great frequency, as well. Sometimes a Facebook memory will pop up from a few years ago where I've shared a newspaper story, and that link will turn out to be U.S. Federal Route 404.

I've found that while the links themselves expire frequently on newspaper websites, it's also more frequent than on TV news sites that the content merely got shuffled around and can be found again by searching. Also, papers are more likely to get picked up by library systems and added to library databases, so even if there's not a copy on the newspaper's own site, you can get it through the library.

zzcarp

No links to my knowledge, and I appeared several times on television in Cleveland.

In 1995 as a senior in high school, I along with the other area valedictorians and salutatorians appeared on the Morning Exchange. I also appeared that year on "Academic Challenge", a high school quiz team game show. Both were on WEWS channel 5 if I recall correctly.

In 2004 as a member of the Cleveland Orchestra Chorus, we sang the national anthem for the Cleveland Indians' opening day. Our performance was televised on the local broadcast.
So many miles and so many roads

Takumi

While I personally wasn't on there, I had a question sent in to a local TV station read on the air when I was a child.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

dlsterner

In the mid-1970's my high school marching band performed at a few Miami Dolphins home games.  Although much of the footage was shots of the entire band, there were some closeups where I was recognizable.  Back then halftime shows were actually televised; nowadays they cut back to the studio for "expert analysis".

Some of the footage was actually used for several years by NBC to show over the opening credits of their Sunday afternoon football telecast.

The clip of at least one of the shows exists on YouTube.  Curt Gowdy even mispronounces our high school's name.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.