News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

North Houston Highway Improvement Project (project resumed March 2023)

Started by MaxConcrete, April 22, 2015, 09:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

There's tolerance and preference.  My son tolerated getting around by bus since he had to.  He resisted taking a car I was replacing for a while, until he thought it would increase his job prospects while in college.

So, we dropped off the car a week or so ago.  Recently asked him if he liked having it and he grinned ear-to-ear.

It's one thing to make do riding transit and another to realize the independence a car enables.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Plutonic Panda

PS, I'm not trying to put busses down. IMO, America should focus more on its bus network than its rail. BRT should be used considered waaaaaay more than it is and actually built like true BRT and not enchanted bud service. With that said, there is no denying people in the US in general have a negative view of busses.

silverback1065

Geeze with all these benefits, you'd think the woke urbanists would love it. Makes me wonder if any of these people even know what the project entails.

Pixel 5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 12, 2021, 09:42:33 AM
Wait a minute, commuters prefer cars!?!! What

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-12/gasoline-usage-in-india-jumps-in-march-as-commuters-prefer-cars?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab&utm_content=algorithm

That article says more people are using cars because they're seeing a surge in COVID cases. It's because they don't want to get sick, not because of the transportation itself.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Plutonic Panda

silverback1065

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 12, 2021, 09:54:51 AM
ya ridership is WAY down due to covid on mass transit.
Ridership was already varying and dipping in many areas before COVID.

silverback1065

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 12, 2021, 10:01:23 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on April 12, 2021, 09:54:51 AM
ya ridership is WAY down due to covid on mass transit.
Ridership was already varying and dipping in many areas before COVID.

Needs citation.

kernals12

Since 2013, the number of registered automobiles in the United States has risen by 40 million, or about 16%. And it's happening everywhere, even in Western Europe. And there's no reason to expect it to let up. Electric cars will be super cheap to run and new AI enabled factories will be able to spit out new cars at very low cost with little to no human labor. In such an environment, who will want to take a bus?

bwana39

My thought on mass transit is people will use it if it  fits all of the following.
1) It is the most reliable way to get there at the acceptable price point.
2) It is convenient (both in time and accessibility to both the destination and to the origin point.)
3) People of similar SES use this transit option both on the macro (the whole system) and the micro (the particular conveyance or line).

As a rule, most of those who drive have a far higher tolerance to price point than the actual fare for public transit.  Some have to drive with a price point that is out side their comfort zone because there is no routes that match their location or schedule.  There are some that would benefit from and utilize more localized mass transit, but far and wide, larger usage of mass transit will only come about if options become narrower. That means prices drive access to auto transit costs up exponentially. 

I will add one thing. the only place the train is a good choice is from from a park and ride to downtown and some limited places alongside the line. Yes, Joe Biden rode the train home every day from Washington DC.  How many others had the opportunity to do so? How many other people were able to make it fit their life and lifestyle.....
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Bobby5280

Car payments, insurance, fuel, tag fees and other costs (like tolls, parking, etc) can get pretty expensive. But mass transit carries a substantial daily cost too. And it's not practical for certain trips like when you need to go to the grocery store. A person can carry only so many bags of groceries onto a bus. Even for choices of vehicle many people need something with some hauling capacity. My current vehicle is a crew cab pickup truck and the previous vehicle I had was a regular cab pickup truck.

I don't mind parking and riding a train into the core of a giant-size city like New York City, particularly the Manhattan part of it. It's easier to take a subway into a place like that and not worry about having to find (and afford) a place to park. Not many other cities have the balance tilting in favor of mass transit like NYC. In most other cities it's easier/faster to drive.

Quote from: kernals12Electric cars will be super cheap to run and new AI enabled factories will be able to spit out new cars at very low cost with little to no human labor. In such an environment, who will want to take a bus?

I don't have as positive an outlook for electric cars.

So far I haven't seen any electric cars that are less expensive than a comparable gasoline powered vehicle. A small economy car basically costs near double when it is built as an electric vehicle. The batteries are not cheap. And there is only so much lithium and cobalt in the world. In order to scale production to replace all gasoline powered vehicles in the United States or other countries as well they have to invent new battery technology that uses resources that are far more plentiful and even "renewable."

Automation in manufacturing hasn't lowered prices to "low cost" levels for many kinds of big ticket products. If anything, stuff is getting more and more expensive. Raw materials prices have shot up through the roof lately. And even when they come back down to normal levels all of the components that go into an automobile will still carry a substantial cost regardless of how the vehicle is assembled or the nature of its power plant.

CoreySamson

Quote from: Bobby5280 on April 13, 2021, 12:26:09 AM

Quote from: kernals12Electric cars will be super cheap to run and new AI enabled factories will be able to spit out new cars at very low cost with little to no human labor. In such an environment, who will want to take a bus?

So far I haven't seen any electric cars that are less expensive than a comparable gasoline powered vehicle. A small economy car basically costs near double when it is built as an electric vehicle. The batteries are not cheap.
Although the upfront cost is much greater (and even though I'm not really into the premise of electric cars) you have to admit that maintenance costs for electric vehicles will be cheaper than gasoline-powered vehicles in the long run, as the electric drivetrain has fewer moving parts that could break versus a gasoline one, and so are more reliable (older Prius batteries tend to outlast the car itself, for example). Plus running costs would probably be lower too if you charge at home versus paying a lot for gas. I personally think the ideal at this point is plug-in hybrids, though.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

kernals12

Car payments, insurance, fuel, tag fees and other costs (like tolls, parking, etc) can get pretty expensive. But mass transit carries a substantial daily cost too. And it's not practical for certain trips like when you need to go to the grocery store. A person can carry only so many bags of groceries onto a bus. Even for choices of vehicle many people need something with some hauling capacity. My current vehicle is a crew cab pickup truck and the previous vehicle I had was a regular cab pickup truck.

I don't mind parking and riding a train into the core of a giant-size city like New York City, particularly the Manhattan part of it. It's easier to take a subway into a place like that and not worry about having to find (and afford) a place to park. Not many other cities have the balance tilting in favor of mass transit like NYC. In most other cities it's easier/faster to drive.

So far I haven't seen any electric cars that are less expensive than a comparable gasoline powered vehicle. A small economy car basically costs near double when it is built as an electric vehicle. The batteries are not cheap. And there is only so much lithium and cobalt in the world. In order to scale production to replace all gasoline powered vehicles in the United States or other countries as well they have to invent new battery technology that uses resources that are far more plentiful and even "renewable."

Automation in manufacturing hasn't lowered prices to "low cost" levels for many kinds of big ticket products. If anything, stuff is getting more and more expensive. Raw materials prices have shot up through the roof lately. And even when they come back down to normal levels all of the components that go into an automobile will still carry a substantial cost regardless of how the vehicle is assembled or the nature of its power plant.

Wrong, wrong, wrong

hotdogPi

Quote from: kernals12 on April 13, 2021, 07:30:37 AM

Wrong, wrong, wrong

Dividing by GDP also divides by population, and the population is growing. You need to divide by median income.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kernals12

Quote from: 1 on April 13, 2021, 07:33:13 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on April 13, 2021, 07:30:37 AM

Wrong, wrong, wrong

Dividing by GDP also divides by population, and the population is growing. You need to divide by median income.

I'm not dividing by GDP, I'm dividing by the measured price of all goods and services in the economy.

In_Correct

Quote(older Prius batteries tend to outlast the car itself, for example)

This is a problem. Automobiles are supposed to last for ever. Bus Grease Monkey has proven that.

The Battery Electric Rail Vehicle has been around since the early 1800s. Diesel Electric has been around since the early 1900s. Even Regenerative Braking has been around in the Turbine Locomotives.

So Called Renewable Energy should be used for certain types of Rail systems, not Automobiles. Diesel Electric is best for Automobiles, certain types of Rail systems ... and in occasional types of Rail systems it is best for them to switch back to Turbine.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Scott5114

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 12, 2021, 07:07:59 AM
BRT should be used considered waaaaaay more than it is and actually built like true BRT and not enchanted bud service.

Dispensaries run by wizards???
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

The Ghostbuster

Enchanted bud service? Is that where I can get a Budweiser or a Bud Light instantly on-demand? I'm just kidding! I know Plutonic Panda meant "enhanced bus service".

Plutonic Panda

Sorry I had a bit too much wine tonight... I mean last night

kernals12

The City Council has approved 400 apartments that will serve as replacement housing for those currently living in the Clayton Homes complex, which will be demolished if the highway project goes through.

Also, the Clayton Homes were very badly damaged by Hurricane Harvey. It might not be such a bad thing to replace housing with a freeway interchange on flood prone land.

armadillo speedbump

Quote from: kernals12 on April 14, 2021, 08:29:23 PM
Also, the Clayton Homes were very badly damaged by Hurricane Harvey. It might not be such a bad thing to replace housing with a freeway interchange on flood prone land.

I wonder if the County Grad Student has figured that out yet.

The Ghostbuster

The stupid web story requires a subscription to the Houston Chronicle to read the whole story. Well isn't that ducky. :ded:

kernals12

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 14, 2021, 09:37:35 PM
The stupid web story requires a subscription to the Houston Chronicle to read the whole story. Well isn't that ducky. :ded:

Just stop the page from fully loading before the paywall slams down.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.