News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Whats up.

Started by Bandon23, October 21, 2013, 11:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandon23

Hey guys i'm new here. I hope to meet you everyone. :)

For this i would say this forum was completely awesome, incredible and a nice site. And actually i love designing guide signs :)

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Zeffy

Welcome to the forums! I too love designing guide signs.  :)
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Bandon23

Quote from: Zeffy on October 21, 2013, 07:55:40 PM
Welcome to the forums! I too love designing guide signs.  :)

Yeah i see you designing guide signs, i design it too. Infact i use some of the Roadgeek arrows and icons so it may help me a lot.

Anyways i got some guide signs that i design. :) I will put the link if i wanted it.

EDIT: Here it is

Zeffy

Not bad at all!  :) Here's my version of your sign:

Couple tips:

• Your destination legend looks a bit too large.
  • There's a whole mess of resources in the Road Related Illustrations forum that also include the arrows the FHWA uses. I would use those instead of the Roadgeek 2005 Arrows fonts ones.

Other than that, your sign looks fine. On my version I moved the airplane symbol to a separate panel on top because I think it looks better.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Bandon23

Your signs are cool, the airplane on top corner is pretty nice, and its example that i look in Google Streetview.

The airplane i just put next to the east is better, but yours could be better too. :)

EDIT: I added one guide sign in the left, look:

:)

Zeffy

One thing: It looks like your directions are too close to the shields. I would space them out a bit. Everything else looks good to me. Judging by the similarity to my signs as well as KEK Incs', I would have to assume you are using PowerPoint to make them.  :)

Bandon23

I am using PowerPoint 2010 to make them already, but i resizing with Windows 7 Paint. If you gonna tell me what i gonna use Paint.NET or Inkscape. Because it's part of resizing. And finally, my direction is ok since i cant space because it moves little bit, since i further watched your videos in BGS Design Kit Beta 2.

KEK Inc.

I use GIMP for resizing and post-editing (adding a blurred reflection, lighting, rainbow flare, etc.). 

One of the biggest problem most people in the Redesign forum has is lane spacing.  Drop arrows tend to be a bit too close or inconsistent, and I see it with a lot of different artists/designers there.   Just one thing to note.  :) 

Take the road less traveled.

Bandon23

The problem is i cannot get Clearview Hwy 5W and all, because i can't buy, is somebody gonna put the download font of Clearview Hwy 5W?

sammi

Quote from: Bandon23 on October 26, 2013, 11:36:13 AM
The problem is i cannot get Clearview Hwy 5W and all, because i can't buy, is somebody gonna put the download font of Clearview Hwy 5W?

I think it's available on this website somewhere. :/ (IIRC it was in the Shield Generator.) Besides, we don't really like Clearview here. >.>

Zeffy

Quote from: Bandon23 on October 26, 2013, 11:36:13 AM

This is included in the Roadgeek 2005 font package under the font names:
[Roadgeek 2005 prefix assumed]
Series 1B/1W
Series 2B/2W
Series 3B/3W
Series 4B/4W
Series 5B/5W/5R
Series 6B/6W

The B / W is for positive / negative contrast respectively. Note that the FHWA prohibits Clearview in negative contrast situations such as on EXIT ONLY panels.

That being said, here's KEK's sign in Clearview...

Quote from: sammi on October 26, 2013, 12:56:53 PM
I think it's available on this website somewhere. :/ (IIRC it was in the Shield Generator.) Besides, we don't really like Clearview here. >.>

Originally Quillz had it as a download link in the Road Related Illustrations topic that got split into my Zeffy's Signs thread once the entire Road Related Illustrations forum opened. The link is dead, but I still have all the fonts it contained. (Clearview, Pixymbols, and SAA series)

Bandon23

And even SAASeriesEMD that i needed it. It uses the 1/2 mile or something. I can't buy, so i should get free of them. Any download?

EDIT: Oh, btw i made another sign, tell me if you want to redesign. Sorry about the wrong route of I-295.  :)

Zeffy

Quote from: Bandon23 on October 28, 2013, 01:24:45 PM
And even SAASeriesEMD that i needed it. It uses the 1/2 mile or something. I can't buy, so i should get free of them. Any download?

EDIT: Oh, btw i made another sign, tell me if you want to redesign. Sorry about the wrong route of I-295.  :)

Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qsom4oq3ccqpad6/Quillz-RoadFonts.zip

As for your sign, the only thing I would change on it is move the NORTH up a bit so it's aligned with the top of the shield. Other than that - no, it looks good.  :)

Bandon23

Thanks for that note. However, i could make another one when i find them.

The NORTH text seems good. But always i look on Google StreetView that text NORTH is between the I-295 and US-75. Which means it could stay. And yes, the NORTH text could be alligned up.

Bandon23

Here's a fixed version of guide:

• I alligned North up, and both shields aren't too close in destination legend. To make clear for that.
  • Arrows are staying and destination legend is better.

Scott5114

The sign panel should be a bit bigger to allow wider margins between the legend and the borders. Refer to the MUTCD for dimensions.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Zeffy

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 06, 2013, 04:31:06 AM
The sign panel should be a bit bigger to allow wider margins between the legend and the borders. Refer to the MUTCD for dimensions.

Here's a visual example if you need it:

Unfortunately, when it comes to lane spacing, there is no way to make this look better if I keep with my current system of spacing them each out by 2 units. Also, the destination legend is a modified series E with increasing character spacing, which I believe looks better than standard EM especially when scaled down because the thickness causes slight blurring as it gets compressed.

Bandon23

Quote from: Zeffy on December 06, 2013, 12:11:46 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 06, 2013, 04:31:06 AM

Here's a visual example if you need it:

Unfortunately, when it comes to lane spacing, there is no way to make this look better if I keep with my current system of spacing them each out by 2 units. Also, the destination legend is a modified series E with increasing character spacing, which I believe looks better than standard EM especially when scaled down because the thickness causes slight blurring as it gets compressed.

I do lane spacing as well, learning how to do it is easy to make the sign. And however, the right arrow is too far from its border corner. Yes, I use EM, it shows in streetview map that is used with EM standard, if its E standard. Then it's ok, could be E standard.

In your powerpoint (Zeffy's Beta2 BGS Design Kit) I looked in to slide 10-18 (I don't know what is slide number but it's good) North was E standard, Shields are B C D and Destination Legend was EM. I'll stay with this one. :)

agentsteel53

LIBEL!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

sammi

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 31, 2013, 01:13:48 PM

LIBEL!

I'm sorry!
* Sammi ducks

agentsteel53

Quote from: sammi on December 31, 2013, 01:20:19 PM

I'm sorry!
* Sammi ducks

if I ever decide that putting Clearview on the shield generator would help increase my revenues, assume the whole "selling medical waste laced with crack cocaine to small children" business didn't work out.

jake@aaroads.com

sammi

What I was trying to say was that the URL from which I got Clearview was shields.aaroads.com/something. I mistyped. :banghead:

agentsteel53

Quote from: sammi on December 31, 2013, 06:17:24 PM
What I was trying to say was that the URL from which I got Clearview was shields.aaroads.com/something. I mistyped. :banghead:

I think I uploaded the file for someone; but don't ask me where I put it, it's been a while!

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.