News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 02, 2022, 01:37:57 PM
I would add a stem on your arrow so it looks more like the standard No Left/Right Turn signs.

I thought of that, but making it look like a standard No Left Turn sign would obfuscate the actual intended meaning:  if I saw a No Left Turn sign, then I would assume it's still OK to shift between the frontage road and the main roadway.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on December 02, 2022, 11:46:24 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 02, 2022, 11:29:50 AM
it makes perfect sense right there because there are some trees between the service road and the main road coupled with traffic coming off the Nassau Expressway at relatively high speeds, such that they want service road traffic to move over one block further down.

And yet apparently that isn't a concern when it comes to traffic approaching from the side street itself, turning from a right angle...

I would assume–this is just my guess–that's because it's easier to look 90° to your left than it is to turn your head almost completely to see traffic coming essentially from behind you.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 02, 2022, 02:10:40 PM
it makes perfect sense right there because there are some trees between the service road and the main road coupled with traffic coming off the Nassau Expressway at relatively high speeds, such that they want service road traffic to move over one block further down.

And yet apparently that isn't a concern when it comes to traffic approaching from the side street itself, turning from a right angle...

I would assume–this is just my guess–that's because it's easier to look 90° to your left than it is to turn your head almost completely to see traffic coming essentially from behind you.
I would figure that as well.  The difficulty and awkwardness of looking nearly 180° is why I try to avoid this stop sign.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on December 02, 2022, 10:23:02 PM
In nosing around, I discovered a rather interesting sign just inside New York city limits prohibiting moving from the Seagirt Boulevard service road onto westbound Seagirt Boulevard.

Quote from: vdeane on December 02, 2022, 10:00:44 PM
I would figure that as well.

How is it any easier one block farther down the road?

You're farther from the interchange with the Nassau Expressway, so I guess they deem it less dangerous.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JoePCool14

Quote from: vdeane on December 02, 2022, 10:00:44 PM

I would figure that as well.  The difficulty and awkwardness of looking nearly 180° is why I try to avoid this stop sign.

Who thought that was a good design? Was it supposed to be traffic calming?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/Zti7JbvLvWPpHJRXA
Not only is this sign interesting that the 405 freeway is in text on a private enterprise sign, but that you would be routed through a parking garage to get there.

https://goo.gl/maps/3D3jw9JCuNxH1qd4A
Then this where the ONLY warning is two lanes out, but the one lane out is not warned.

https://goo.gl/maps/xYqnwdzof2ZueuSEA
Then the I-405 Freeway Entrance sign is to the left of the guide sign and not to the right of it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadfro

Quote from: roadman65 on December 05, 2022, 10:32:53 PM
Then the I-405 Freeway Entrance sign is to the left of the guide sign and not to the right of it.

Normally, I think Caltrans would put the guide sign before the ramp, but it's likely placed here so that the right turn is not confused with the adjacent side street. The configuration of the guide sign with respect to freeway entrance sign package likely has something to do with differing sign placement standards for the two types of signs (guide signs typically being further back from edge of pavement).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: roadfro on December 06, 2022, 12:16:01 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 05, 2022, 10:32:53 PM

Normally, I think Caltrans would put the guide sign before the ramp, but it's likely placed here so that the right turn is not confused with the adjacent side street. The configuration of the guide sign with respect to freeway entrance sign package likely has something to do with differing sign placement standards for the two types of signs (guide signs typically being further back from edge of pavement).

I'll further add that the configuration is not uncommon in California exactly for that reason.

J N Winkler

Another "fare" sign is due to bite the dust just south of the Mackinac Bridge.  The following sign sketches come from the construction plans for Michigan DOT contract 20015-201971.

Original sign:

New sign:

However, an existing "fare" sign upstream will be retained in place.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jay8g

Holy cow that's a lot of small text. Seriously, the only way you could possibly read that is walking by, and while there's technically a sidewalk there, it ends just past the sign and the road ends at I-5 not much further, so there's absolutely no reason anyone would be walking here unless they really wanted to read the sign for some reason. And even the full-size text looks awful.

JoePCool14

Quote from: jay8g on December 10, 2022, 02:19:59 AM
Holy cow that's a lot of small text. Seriously, the only way you could possibly read that is walking by, and while there's technically a sidewalk there, it ends just past the sign and the road ends at I-5 not much further, so there's absolutely no reason anyone would be walking here unless they really wanted to read the sign for some reason. And even the full-size text looks awful.

I think we found a winner!

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

LilianaUwU

Quote from: jay8g on December 10, 2022, 02:19:59 AM

I rarely swear on here (but I'm a sailor mouth otherwise), but I think this is worthy of a "what the fuck?"
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Max Rockatansky

Seems that a Christmas Tree Lane shield was installed this year on Van Ness Boulevard in Fresno just north of Shields Avenue.  This segment of Van Ness Boulevard has held a Christmas Tree Lane event since 1920:

IMG_7373 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Mr. Matté

Big John

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 10, 2022, 05:03:58 PM
Seems that a Christmas Tree Lane shield was installed this year on Van Ness Boulevard in Fresno just north of Shields Avenue.  This segment of Van Ness Boulevard has held a Christmas Tree Lane event since 1920:

IMG_7373 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr
Borrowed from the European triangular signs?

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

formulanone

Quote from: Mr. Matté on December 10, 2022, 05:43:31 PM
Mommy mommy buy me a street sign!

...were you talking to my street?

Max Rockatansky

Hunty2022

100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

Amaury

This one is interesting since there is no Interstate 90 Alternate: https://goo.gl/maps/g2sofhJhXgrxn8WX7

Unless they mean it as an alternate way to get to Interstate 90, and they don't mean it like US Route 97 Alternate or Washington State Route 141 Alternate, both of which do exist. Although I don't know why you would go all the way that way to get back on Interstate 90 in either direction when there are entrances and exits right there by Chevron. Coming from that way if you took the earlier exit, I understand, but...
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

LilianaUwU

The QC 138 part of this assembly is huge compared to the A-20 part. Avenue Saint-Pierre NB, Montréal.

Big QC 138 shield, Montréal by Liliana Vess, on Flickr
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: LilianaUwU on December 13, 2022, 01:06:49 PM
The QC 138 part of this assembly is huge compared to the A-20 part. Avenue Saint-Pierre NB, Montréal.

Big QC 138 shield, Montréal by Liliana Vess, on Flickr
I feel like this is a great case of 'similar-looking stuff means similiar stuff'.

I don't speak French, and the text of the signs is unreadable by me. But, the shapes, colors, etc. seem to translate well. I could probably dope out "EST" is "East" etc.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.