News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famartin

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 04, 2021, 05:42:49 PM
In your opinion, what is the best scenery on the New Jersey Turnpike?

"Good scenery"  and "New Jersey Turnpike"  are not phrases usually used in the same sentence. Some prominent examples of the Turnpike's "scenery"  are in the opening to Sopranos, and are a major factor in many out-of-staters negative view of New Jersey.

That said, the lower Hackensack River Bridge on the Eastern Spur has some expansive views of Manhattan, and the Newark Bay Extension views of the city aren't too shabby, either.

roadman65

Not from Woodbridge to Newark. Mostly industrial and oil refineries with warehouse sprawl. Yes some parts have great views of NYC, but I-80 west of Netcong has the best views of a NJ freeway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: akotchi on May 04, 2021, 10:39:53 AM
If memory serves, there had been toll gantries up on the exit ramp for some time, but they were not in operation.  Not sure if they were replaced for the current use.
Nothing within my memory.

SignBridge

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 04, 2021, 05:42:49 PM
In your opinion, what is the best scenery on the New Jersey Turnpike?

Depends on your definition of scenery. I find driving the NJT between Elizabeth and the GW Bridge to be the most interesting stretch of road in the Northeast. There is so much to see including Newark Airport, Port Newark, the Skyway, Downtown Newark, the view from the Passaic and Hackensack River Bridges, Secaucus Rail Station Complex, Meadowlands, and yes, the NYC skyline.

But if you're talking about natural scenery, obviously you'd prefer the southern end of the Turnpike. 

roadman65

The Bayonne Bridge always was nice to see before the new roadway especially.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 05, 2021, 09:28:24 AM
NJDOT seems to love Camden and hate Philadelphia.

Of course they do. Part of living in NJ is hating on PA and NY. And vice versa.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on May 05, 2021, 10:07:58 AM

They sign NYC however.

Rothman

Heh.  Although NJ gets roasted, thinking of them hating on other states is like the slob roommate telling his fellow tenants to get off their back.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 05, 2021, 10:12:53 AM

They sign NYC however.

There's not exactly one NJ destination directly across the river from NYC. At the GWB, it's Fort Lee. At the Lincoln Tunnel, its Weehawken. At the Holland Tunnel, it's Jersey City. etc.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on May 05, 2021, 10:24:45 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 05, 2021, 10:12:53 AM

They sign NYC however.

There's not exactly one NJ destination directly across the river from NYC. At the GWB, it's Fort Lee. At the Lincoln Tunnel, its Weehawken. At the Holland Tunnel, it's Jersey City. etc.
Camden isn't super important. That's like Indiana signing Gary on the Indiana Toll Road and I-65.

jeffandnicole

The New Jersey Turnpike Authority has monthly board meetings which are open to the public. At the beginning of each meeting they offer a comment period for any issues, concerns or compliments you wish to bring up. Sometimes they may offer discussion in return; other times they may simply thank you for your statement.

The next meeting is May 25th. Log in info and past meeting agendas and minutes are here: https://www.njta.com/board-agendas-minutes/agenda-center .  This is how this issue needs to be addressed.

We can't continually go on about the subject, because it ain't going to get resolved on these forums.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 05, 2021, 01:51:17 PM
The New Jersey Turnpike Authority has monthly board meetings which are open to the public. At the beginning of each meeting they offer a comment period for any issues, concerns or compliments you wish to bring up. Sometimes they may offer discussion in return; other times they may simply thank you for your statement.

The next meeting is May 25th. Log in info and past meeting agendas and minutes are here: https://www.njta.com/board-agendas-minutes/agenda-center .  This is how this issue needs to be addressed.

We can't continually go on about the subject, because it ain't going to get resolved on these forums.
Yeah I don't care that much about Camden being signed to go to one of those. For the record, I do think Camden is the right city to be posted on I-295.

storm2k

Moving away from the ever continuing but frankly pointless control cities arguments (fact: the Turnpike Authority has always valued signing NJ's major cities, but only going southbound. I have thoughts about how they could be better, too, but that's not going to affect how they're signed or will continue to be signed)...

Drove the Turnpike between 9 and 4 today on the way to see family. Here are some observations from me:

This is a peach of a mileage sign. I wish the Authority would use these in more places and in both directions (for example, going northbound, would be nice to see mileage to saw Trenton, New Brunswick, and Newark).

There's some sort of interchange construction happening at both 5 and 4. Not sure the details of it, but saw some construction fencing up at both interchanges.

That also leads to an interesting development: MUTCD signage spotted at both interchanges. At 5, the overhead structures both northbound and southbound have been torn down, and there are 1/4 mile ground mount signs for the exit in the Turnpike's mostly-MUTCD style. Both gantries date from I would guess the early 1970s, so they likely were reaching or reached the end of their useful lives and needed replacement. RIP classic Turnpike arrows. So far, the gore point overheads are still there, but I'm guessing their days are numbered since there are gore point exit signs actually on the ground in the gores. Will guess they'll eventually be replaced with mostly-MUTCD signs with arrows as has happened from 9 northward. None of the other advanced signage (which was replaced ~2010-11ish timeframe) has been replaced, at least so far.

At 4, at least southbound, this structure is still up, but I won't be surprised if its days are numbered too. There's a ground mount 1/4 mile advance sign near this one, so I won't be surprised if this structure is replaced. I would still think the Authority would want an overhead sign for the lane drop, as is their standard, but no idea there.

I did find the Authority's Capital Improvement plan for 2021-25 on their website and of note is that there is money programmed in this year for sign structure replacement. I'll be curious where they do other signage replacements. I also wonder if the "classic" signage that was done for the 6-9 widening is on the endangered species list. All of those structures are new along that stretch, so it would not be out of the realm of possibility for the Authority to just replace panels with mostly-MUTCD versions instead. Not sure about plans south of 4, but given that they will be doing the phased widening all the way down to the southern end, I would think that signage replacements if they were to happen on that stretch, would come as part of those projects.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: storm2k on May 09, 2021, 02:46:43 AM
There's some sort of interchange construction happening at both 5 and 4. Not sure the details of it, but saw some construction fencing up at both interchanges.

I believe this is for a roadway lighting upgrade project for Interchanges 2 - 5.

roadman65

Sign at 43.72 is not brown rust, so it is old. Turnpike started in early 80s with rusted gantries. 

The 4 overheads need destinations on them as the large Exit 4 says nothing. At one time exit numbers were all you needed in NJ on both Parkway and Turnpike, but now things changed.

Sheryl Crowe

fmendes

can anyone explain how the Merge lanes on the Tpke acually work being that there like 400 feet long

famartin

Quote from: fmendes on May 10, 2021, 09:45:22 AM
can anyone explain how the Merge lanes on the Tpke acually work being that there like 400 feet long

Yeah that's an oddity considering the NJTA tends to usually overperform on following specs.

fmendes

Quote from: famartin on May 10, 2021, 10:22:40 AM

Yeah that's an oddity considering the NJTA tends to usually overperform on following specs.
i could be wrong but it could be that there tapers are long to allow people to slow down and speed up to merge better but this doesnt work if there is congestion as long as its free flowing it functions well they also close off ramps to congested roadways

storm2k

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 09, 2021, 10:19:14 AM

I believe this is for a roadway lighting upgrade project for Interchanges 2 - 5.

No, they break out lighting projects into an entirely different section of the capital plan. So this is definitely for sign structures only.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: storm2k on May 10, 2021, 10:45:52 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 09, 2021, 10:19:14 AM

No, they break out lighting projects into an entirely different section of the capital plan. So this is definitely for sign structures only.

You mis-understood. This lighting project went to bid and was approved prior to Fiscal Year 2021. It's not part of any portion of the 2021-2025 capital plan.

See PDF page 10 of https://www.njta.com/media/5468/minutes-bm-7-28-2020.pdf . This pertains to an extension of the original contract, but details in brief the project at the interchanges.

Alps

They are 1200 feet long, actually. The taper starts before the gore lines end but when you have a view of what you're merging into. About 600 feet of the taper is at least 10' wide and then the rest of the taper gradually feeds you into traffic.

famartin

Quote from: Alps on May 10, 2021, 06:30:19 PM
They are 1200 feet long, actually. The taper starts before the gore lines end but when you have a view of what you're merging into. About 600 feet of the taper is at least 10' wide and then the rest of the taper gradually feeds you into traffic.

That's an error in their perception of how drivers think. Most people aren't thinking about merging until the gore line ends, especially since they are the extra wide ones of the Turnpike. The average driver wants to be parallel to the next lane before judging their ability to merge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.