Sound when driving over concrete pavement

Started by joshI5, July 15, 2015, 06:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

Quote from: roadfro on July 16, 2015, 03:53:56 AM
While the result of diamond grinding is similar to the grooving seen on new concrete pavements, I believe those grooves on new pavements are created via a separate method.

Right behind the concrete paver someone glides a really wide "pitchfork" with about 20 small tines across the wet concrete (for the grooves that run perpendicular to the traffic). It really is that simple.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Sonic99

Quote from: pumpkineater2 on July 16, 2015, 08:04:23 PM
Quote from: hm insulators on July 16, 2015, 01:56:56 PM
Nearly all the freeways in Phoenix now have rubberized asphalt overlays, but years ago, the grooves in the concrete were perpendicular to the direction of travel and they made a whistling sound that was quite a bit louder than the "clunk-clunk-clunk" of L.A. freeways.

I remember when the freeways in phoenix made that wonderful whistling noise. Although rubberized asphalt is nice, I really miss that sound. It always sounded so cool when getting on or off the freeway, hearing the changing pitch.

It's too bad that it's almost nonexistent now in Phoenix.

I've noticed that some freeways are starting to get the "clunk-clunk-clunk" sound. For example the northwest corner of Loop 101 around union hills.

When I was a kid, I loved going with my parents or grandparents and driving on the freeways. That high pitched whistle was an awesome sound. For my younger sister, however, it was instantaneous in making her fall asleep. If she was fussy and wouldn't take her nap, just jump on the Superstition for a couple miles and come back. Bam, she was out.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

jcn

Quote from: Alex4897 on July 15, 2015, 09:57:56 PM
Delaware's concrete paved roadways tend to have a higher pitched whistle to them.  DE 1 and I-495 both stand out as being like, I suppose because the higher speeds tends to heighten the pitch.  Our bridges are all unique, you might get a raspy one, a middle pitch whistle, are something in between.  The DE 1 turnpike tends to have a whistle at a lower pitch then the regular roadway.

Yes, when it comes to DE Route 1, portions of the road is continuously concrete, therefore, we hear the sound continuously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.