Regional Boards > Southeast

North Carolina's Famed Truck-Scalping Bridge Nears 100 Recorded Crashes

(1/33) > >>

mrsman:
http://www.citylab.com/commute/2015/07/they-still-havent-fixed-that-north-carolina-bridge-that-decapitates-trucks/399053/

--- Quote ---
Another year, another opportunity to check in with Durham, North Carolina’s notorious truck-decapitating underpass.

Eleven feet, eight inches—that’s all the room there is below the Gregson Street bridge. Glaring signs, flashing lights, and a bright-yellow crash bar all attest to the dangerously low clearance. Yet trucks continue to batter it like besiegers trying to take down the castle door. A thundering accident on July 9 marked the 95th crash since 2008, says Jürgen Henn, a local who’s garnered worldwide fame filming the mayhem. “By the way,” wonders one of his German YouTube fans, “do you prepare a small gift or a nice certificate for the 100th crash driver?”

--- End quote ---

Zeffy:
Oh come on. They've placed ample warning devices before the overpass. If you miss all of those, you deserve to total your vehicle. GPS doesn't replace the necessity for paying attention to the road you are on.

NJRoadfan:
This is just one of many bridges that rips trucks apart across the country. There is one on Elmora Ave. (NJ-439) in Elizabeth that has the same collection of warning signs that go ignored.

mrsman:
I agree that it is the driver's responsibility to not let this happen.

But it still behooves the question as to what should the DOT do as it is still happening.  This is the only place I know of where these collisions occur with this type of frequency.

I would treat this like bad behaved children.  If one misbehaves, the whole class could lose out on a privilege.

So I would put up signs to prohibit all moving vans, trucks, buses (except transit) and RVs from going under the bridge.  Passenger cars and transit buses only.

Then, I'd redirect the trucks to turn left on Peabody, right on S Duke, and right on Memorial to continue their journey.  The left lane of S Duke would have course need to convert to a southbound lane.

Zeffy:

--- Quote from: mrsman on July 23, 2015, 06:06:49 AM ---So I would put up signs to prohibit all moving vans, trucks, buses (except transit) and RVs from going under the bridge.  Passenger cars and transit buses only.

--- End quote ---

If the three warning signs aren't helping, how will regulatory signs do anything? Perhaps on the approach to the bridge, there needs to be a large (so you can't miss it) sign that states LOW BRIDGE WARNING or something similar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version