US/State mixup shield error signs

Started by hotdogPi, August 17, 2016, 07:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 1 on September 03, 2016, 08:37:16 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on September 03, 2016, 04:49:23 AM
Quote from: 1 on September 02, 2016, 07:30:52 PM
Quote from: myosh_tino on September 02, 2016, 07:25:04 PM
^^^ I can't see any of the pictures posted by Hoss.

I can't, either. I thought at first that it was caused my UMass Lowell blocking websites, but I'm at home, and it's still blocked.

It looks like he's hosting them on his Google Drive account, and if you have your own Google account logged into on your browser, you can see them.  Otherwise you can't. :/

My Google account is logged in right now. It still won't show.

Crazy, I can't see them now as well.  I did get to see them yesterday however. :/

PaulRAnderson

Poor US 202.  I once started a collection of pictures of all the signs in Massachusetts that incorrectly had a square MA sign for 202.  I think if I travelled the whole route through the state, I'd have a LOT of pictures.

Rothman

Quote from: PaulRAnderson on September 03, 2016, 08:10:01 PM
Poor US 202.  I once started a collection of pictures of all the signs in Massachusetts that incorrectly had a square MA sign for 202.  I think if I travelled the whole route through the state, I'd have a LOT of pictures.

I think they're less common than they were some years ago.  I seem to remember there not being a single US 202 shield in downtown Holyoke, for example.  Still, I believe US 202 has US shields all the way from Pelham up to MA 2 (then again, who knows what havoc has been wrought by MassHighway since I went through there last).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on September 06, 2016, 08:35:16 AM
Still, I believe US 202 has US shields all the way from Pelham up to MA 2 (then again, who knows what havoc has been wrought by MassHighway since I went through there last).

As of 2 years ago, it was all or almost all the correct US 202.

Also, you're using Pelham as a reference point? It seems like you were going to UMass Amherst from east of there.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on September 06, 2016, 08:40:54 AM
Quote from: Rothman on September 06, 2016, 08:35:16 AM
Still, I believe US 202 has US shields all the way from Pelham up to MA 2 (then again, who knows what havoc has been wrought by MassHighway since I went through there last).

As of 2 years ago, it was all or almost all the correct US 202.

Also, you're using Pelham as a reference point? It seems like you were going to UMass Amherst from east of there.

Nah, I was just a local.  Grew up in the Pioneer Valley.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

This GSV is of a local example of this.  The sign is supposed to be "US 41", but "State Hwy 41" is used instead; there is no State Highway 41 in Wisconsin, and there hasn't been since 1926.  It's been fixed now, but the GSV remains and I've seen it in real life before it was fixed.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

formulanone

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on September 03, 2016, 05:39:04 PM
Quote from: 1 on September 03, 2016, 08:37:16 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on September 03, 2016, 04:49:23 AM
Quote from: 1 on September 02, 2016, 07:30:52 PM
Quote from: myosh_tino on September 02, 2016, 07:25:04 PM
^^^ I can't see any of the pictures posted by Hoss.

I can't, either. I thought at first that it was caused my UMass Lowell blocking websites, but I'm at home, and it's still blocked.

It looks like he's hosting them on his Google Drive account, and if you have your own Google account logged into on your browser, you can see them.  Otherwise you can't. :/

My Google account is logged in right now. It still won't show.

Crazy, I can't see them now as well.  I did get to see them yesterday however. :/

Weird, I see them now, but couldn't before.

I didn't know you could link those as photos...does this work?

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

epzik8

Pennsylvania is good at this. There are at least two southbound on U.S. 522 between Fort Littleton and Warfordsburg. These ones are both south of McConnellsburg.

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

cu2010

This one was put up within the last month:

The kicker? The signs on NY31 westbound for the same intersection also have US shields, while one of the NY88 shields on eastbound 31 is also a US shield! All were posted by the Village of Newark, not NYSDOT.

This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

formulanone

Quote from: epzik8 on September 26, 2016, 07:21:32 PM
Pennsylvania is good at this. There are at least two southbound on U.S. 522 between Fort Littleton and Warfordsburg. These ones are both south of McConnellsburg.

It's been there at least a year...

PHLBOS

I saw this one in Exton, PA this past weekend... with a BY-PASS banner no less.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SD Mapman

Murdo, SD
This is actually more common in SD than standalone shields.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

paulthemapguy

A couple examples from Bill Burmaster's site.

Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

paulthemapguy

A couple more errors I've spotted--

Indiana 421.  I took this picture from I-74 below, heading west.  The sign is facing south on one of the exits between Indianapolis and Shelbyville, IN.

IN-421Z by Paul Drives, on Flickr

US50 at OH-264 in Cleves, OH.

OH-US50-264W by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

wanderer2575

This was on M-153 near the Washtenaw/Wayne county line for awhile in 2009 before being fixed.

MNHighwayMan

How is it that these are so common? In the two states I've lived in, I've seen a mix-up of the two only once - that was a state route shield used in place of a US shield for US-52 in Luxemburg, Iowa. I guess I can see how they wouldn't be confused in Minnesota, but Iowa... still manages to pretty much always get it right? I don't get it.

DaBigE

Should be Wis 33

Also seems happens a lot on construction projects around the state, when contractors seem to slap a number (or letter) on anything that resembles a highway shield.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

formulanone

US/Interstate or SR/Interstate mistakes are the rare ones.

I've never seen a mainline interstate use the wrong shield, though it must have happened before. I haven't sifted through the error thread in many years, maybe there's something. 

Mapmikey

Quote from: formulanone on February 22, 2017, 12:01:57 PM
US/Interstate or SR/Interstate mistakes are the rare ones.

I've never seen a mainline interstate use the wrong shield, though it must have happened before. I haven't sifted through the error thread in many years, maybe there's something. 

There are several of these in Covington VA - they are painted correctly but these are VA state shield cutouts:

Don't know if you mean "2di" when you say mainline interstate but there is also this VA 564 shield (photo by Froggie):

Here is I-77 signed as SR 77 in Virginia:

And this one has no words...(photo by Michael Summa)

US71

US 59-Lockesburg, AR

OK 15 gets a promotion

MO 249 gets an upgrade
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Aerobird

While I don't have a picture yet, I noticed a most-likely-contractor-dunnit error in Tallahassee, Florida as part of the Capital Circle SW project: "TO SR 319".
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

texaskdog

I once again so the sign that says I-383 Business Loop (green shield and all) that should be Texas 383 but again forgot to get a picture of it.  It is in Temple TExas right by Bucees

steviep24

This thread wouldn't be complete without the 404 error. (Route not found.)

Credit: Alps Roads

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.