News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Grand Parkway H, I-1 and I-2

Started by TXtoNJ, August 25, 2016, 04:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXtoNJ

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Audit-finds-faults-with-TxDOT-design-build-checks-9184040.php?t=0b0f5c7ecc438d9cbb&cmpid=reddit-premium

Looks like this segment will be constructed as a TX Super-2, rather than a four lane tollway. Given the relatively low development out there, this seems to be a reasonable design decision.

On the other hand, of course the state has a problem with how the design-build process is going.

Bobby5280

Considering the regional traffic moving purposes of the Grand Parkway, I'm surprised they're choosing to build the Northeast leg of the Grand Parkway as a Super 2. I hope they at least secure enough right of way to flesh the road out completely as Interstate quality super highway in the future. I wonder if this Super 2 will at least be limited access like the TX-49 toll road in Tyler.

Regarding the design-build process, there are definitely pros and cons to it. The obvious plus is "fewer cooks in the kitchen," making the process a whole lot more efficient. The more firms that are involved in a construction project add to organizational and logistical headaches. It increases the chances of miscommunication. It's difficult enough to keep everyone within the same firm on the same page, much less do that with various third parties.

But, yeah, if one firm is able to do everything on a design-build road project there is the possibility they could dramatically pad the construction bill rather than save taxpayers a lot of money over increased efficiency. Some projects are beyond the capabilities of one firm to handle on its own. Some parts of a project might have to be jobbed out to others in order to meet a tight deadline.

One thing is certain: these construction firms are risking cutting their own throats with the ever increasing costs they're handing to taxpayers for infrastructure projects. A political backlash could bring a lot of things to a grinding halt.

TXtoNJ

The Ghostbuster

This may be a little off-topic, but were the controversies that have plagued Segment A been resolved (to this date)?

thisdj78

I read that construction has started on this segment, has anyone seen any ground clearing yet? I thought I saw something when flying into Houston last week but it was hard to tell with cloud cover.

MaxConcrete

Quote from: thisdj78 on May 16, 2019, 07:04:19 AM
I read that construction has started on this segment, has anyone seen any ground clearing yet? I thought I saw something when flying into Houston last week but it was hard to tell with cloud cover.

I was at the IH 10/Grand Parkway intersection last month, and work was in progress at that location. Ground clearing was underway to the north of IH 10, and a few piers for elevated roadway are already in place around IH 10 and to the south.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Bobby5280

Some of the clearing work on Section H is now visible in Google Earth. The imagery is dated 2/23/2019.

thisdj78

Quote from: Bobby5280 on May 17, 2019, 03:10:36 PM
Some of the clearing work on Section H is now visible in Google Earth. The imagery is dated 2/23/2019.

Is that on the desktop version or the app?

Bobby5280

I use the desktop "pro" Google Earth application.

thisdj78

Quote from: Bobby5280 on May 17, 2019, 11:23:36 PM
I use the desktop "pro" Google Earth application.

That's odd...I'm only seeing 1/2/2018 imagery

Chris

The northern portion has newer imagery.

click to enlarge

Verlanka

Quote from: Chris on May 22, 2019, 06:07:29 AM
The northern portion has newer imagery.

click to enlarge

So it's basically disconnected.

Bobby5280

They're just getting going on the clearing work for Section H. They don't necessarily have to clear the ROW in a linear fashion. So far they've been opening up the path where only trees are in the way. Some properties (along with utilities and other stuff) will have to be cleared in other areas, such as where the toll road will cross River Road (FM 1485).

MaxConcrete

Photo taken January 4, 2020, near the entrance to Lake Houston Wilderness Park. This is one of the few spots in the immediate area with actual construction underway. Most of the section along FM 1485 in still in the right-of-way and forest clearance phase. Further west near IH69, work is much further along.

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

RoadsByArco

Any new updates? I know this thread is more than 120 days old, but I'm curious.

TheBox

The map app on the Amazon Fire Stick is more updated, then Google Maps is
Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

Giddings bypass, Elgin bypass, and Elgin-Manor freeway/tollway when?

Bobby5280

You're going to find differences in satellite imagery, both newer and older, in various Internet-based map apps. None are uniformly more up to date than the other.

For example, in Apple Maps it shows newer imagery of CA-58 with the Hinkley bypass completed and the Kramer Junction bypass well under construction. Google Earth/Maps imagery is over 5 years old and shows next to no progress. On the other hand, Google Earth shows newer imagery in Oklahoma of the Kilpatrick Turnpike extension while Apple Maps' imagery is older.

Plutonic Panda

Update on this project from Construction Equipment Magazine:

QuoteGrand Parkway Infrastructure LLC began construction of a $1.2 billion project that will build Segments H, I-1 and I-2 of the Texas Department of Transportation's (TxDOT) SH 99 Grand Parkway project, in an area northeast of the city of Houston in Harris, Montgomery, Liberty, and Chambers counties.

Construction started on July 26, 2018, and is expected to be completed in spring 2022. GPI, which secured the design-build contract on March 28, 2017, consists of Granite Construction Inc., Webber LLC and Ferrovial Construction.

This work will increase capacity by providing a new two-lane tolled controlled access facility (with intermittent four lane sections for passing) from U.S. 59 North to IH 10 East (Segments H and I-1, approximately 37.5 mi.); four additional toll lanes from FM 1405 to SH 146 (Segment I-2B, approximately 6.1 mi.); and upgrade tolling equipment to the existing four-lane tolled facility from IH 10 East to FM 1405 (I-2A, existing 8.7 mi.). Additional elements include bridge work, building of retaining walls, installation of drainage infrastructure, utility relocation and embankment work.

Segment I-2A includes upgrades for the tolling equipment and upgrades to the existing four-lane roadway constructed by TxDOT back in 2008. In addition to the new lanes, there are eight turnarounds and 20 mainline bridges featured within the segments.

More here with photos: https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/grand-parkway-infrastructure-links-segments-on-massive-texas-highway-job/53015

TheBox

Once the segment is done, how long will the "Super 2" segment last, before it becomes 4 lanes (like usual) cause of demand?
Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

Bobby5280

My guess is it won't take more than 2-5 years before they start adding the second set of lanes.

TheBox

I know this is barely related and connected to the Grand Parkway, but how's the work off of SH 146 from League City Parkway to Red Bluff Road?

sprjus4

Quote from: TheBox on July 08, 2021, 01:36:51 AM
Once the segment is done, how long will the "Super 2" segment last, before it becomes 4 lanes (like usual) cause of demand?
My predication there will be the demand for at least 6 lanes within the next two decades.

MaxConcrete

Quote from: TheBox on August 22, 2021, 02:53:22 PM
I know this is barely related and connected to the Grand Parkway, but how's the work off of SH 146 from League City Parkway to Red Bluff Road?

Progress is good as of my last visit in July. The bridge section is the main focus at this time. The main bridge over the channel is mostly complete. The long elevated approaches on the north and south sides have sections that are mostly complete and sections with mostly piers.

North of NASA 1, progress is slower. Traffic was still on the original pavement. Work on the southbound frontage road and main lanes was the main focus.

In a related development, TxDOT opened bids earlier this month to update SH 146 north to SH 225 to 3x3. This involves adding the third lane in each direction where the existing facility lacks the third lane.

County:   HARRIS   Let Date:   08/05/21
Type:   RECONSTRUCT AND WIDEN FREEWAY FACILITY   Seq No:   3201
Time:   1229 WORKING DAYS   Project ID:   C 389-5-87
Highway:   SH 146   Contract #:   08213201
Length:   11.521   CCSJ:   0389-05-087
Limits:   
To:   S. OF RED BLUFF   Misc Cost:   
Estimate   $123,933,207.35   % Over/Under   Company
Bidder 1   $110,766,237.66   -10.62%   WILLIAMS BROTHERS CONSTRUCTION CO., INC.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

bwana39

Quote from: MaxConcrete on August 22, 2021, 07:30:19 PM
Quote from: TheBox on August 22, 2021, 02:53:22 PM

Progress is good as of my last visit in July. The bridge section is the main focus at this time. The main bridge over the channel is mostly complete. The long elevated approaches on the north and south sides have sections that are mostly complete and sections with mostly piers.

More clearly, it over Clear Creek / Clear Lake. The marine traffic at this crossing is pretty much all recreational boats including high-masted sailboats. The ship channel is another 10+ miles up from Clear Creek.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

SquonkHunter

I traveled the northwestern quadrant from US 290 to I-69 a couple of weeks ago. Very nice drive with traffic moving at 70-80 mph. Sure beats going by TX 105 from Brenham thru Conroe to get to Cleveland.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.