News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Locations where Auxiliary Lanes are needed

Started by webny99, May 10, 2018, 01:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Ontario really loves two-lane exits (with the rightmost thru lane as an option lane). I hadn't thought of the potential this has for queue reduction, but that's an excellent point.

TheOneKEA

MD 32 westbound is missing an auxiliary lane between the on-ramp from Dorsey Run Road to the C-D lane for the US 1 interchange. MD 32 eastbound does have an auxiliary lane between these two interchanges.

Mergingtraffic

CT tends to have too many where it creates more traffic slow downs.  They are too short to really be useful but during rush hour people use them as passing lanes and then merge back in and slows down traffic.  I-84 in western CT has this a lot.

Other times CT will end the "slow vehicle lane" half way up the hill. typical.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 09, 2018, 02:40:19 PM
CT tends to have too many where it creates more traffic slow downs.  They are too short to really be useful but during rush hour people use them as passing lanes and then merge back in and slows down traffic.  I-84 in western CT has this a lot.

Other times CT will end the "slow vehicle lane" half way up the hill. typical.
I use the longer climbing lanes to pass slow traffic. Passing on the right with three or more lanes is legal here.

Revive 755

In Illinois:

* I-290 between Woodfield Road and the I-90 ramps.
* I-290 EB between the EB St. Charles Road entrance and the ramp to SB I-294 (can't remember if one is being put here as part of the Tri-State rebuild)
* Several spots on I-55 east of I-294

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 11, 2018, 09:47:16 PM
In Illinois:

* I-290 between Woodfield Road and the I-90 ramps.
* I-290 EB between the EB St. Charles Road entrance and the ramp to SB I-294 (can't remember if one is being put here as part of the Tri-State rebuild)
* Several spots on I-55 east of I-294
I think I saw St. Charles Road area may be part of plan. Need to find that doc.
I-290 / I-90 needs alot more.

More
I-94
past deerfield rd to half-day rd
milwaukee to grand

I-90
sayre to nagle
foster to bryn mawr

IL-53
euclid thru rand

I-355
lake to army trail road
army trail road to roosevelt

I-190
mannheim road to I-294

tolbs17

Bump, but I think auxiliary lanes are needed here:

US-264 at Bell Rd

I-40 at Conover - Long merge lane but I do think an auxiliary lane is needed due to the fact my friends were actually driving in the merge lane that was ending! Example

ibthebigd

Lexington Ky

Winchester Rd interchange and the I-64 split on I-75

SM-G950U

SkyPesos

For Cincinnati:

- I-75 between OH 562 and OH 126. I was on OH 562 getting onto I-75 NB a week ago, and the exit ramp backed on on 562 all the way to the OH 4 exit, because of the short merge area on I-75. Also the Towne St ramp removal on NB I-75 would help too.
- I-71 between US 22/3 and Pfeiffer. Especially the SB direction between 126 and 22, where mall traffic back up on the freeway. An auxiliary lane already exists for SB 71 between Pfeiffer and 126, but would be nice to extend that to the US 22 exit, as previously mentioned, and add them to the NB lanes.

SkyPesos

Found this while browsing GSV, this would be a great candidate for auxiliary lanes, considering US 60 east of Phoenix have so many tightly spaced exit ramps like this:

I-55

I-69 between Exits 316 and 317 in Indiana. Allen County has rapidly sprawled on the north side and the southwest side. Union chapel Road (Exit 317) is the last exit north in Allen County before the Dekalb County line (Mile 322) and the next exit is at Co Rd 11A (Exit 326). The stretch between 316 and 317 is where the 3rd lane each way ends, so traffic on I-69 is less spread. Add in everyone entering from Union Chapel with little merge room and you have congestion.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

chrismarion100

Here are some for Wisconsin Us 53 from Us 12 to River Prairie Drive and from River Prairie Drive to Wi 312 and one on Wi 29 from county highway X in Lake Wissota to Wi 29 BUS / 178

ran4sh

Georgia 10 Loop from exit 6 to exit 15. Which is about half of the length of that route, but it has 2/3 of the exits. Along that stretch there is about 1 exit for each mile, but only 2 auxiliary lanes currently exist (along the Outer loop from exit 11 to exit 12, and along the Inner loop from exit 11 to exit 10C).
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

chrismarion100

On US 53 in Eau Claire, one will be needed between WI 312 (North Crossing) and River Prairie Dr and another one between River Prairie Dr and US 12 (Clairemont Ave)

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on May 10, 2018, 02:17:55 PM
I've long wanted to see one on I-90 (each direction) between exits 36 (I-81) and 37 (Electronics Parkway).

Yeah, came back here to second that and also note that I-87 could use auxiliary lanes between NY 144 and the Berkshire Connector.

I'd really like to see the entire segment from I-787 south to the Berkshire Connector widened to six lanes... hopefully the construction just south of I-787 is a step in the right direction, at least for a slight extension of the six lanes if not a longer widening project.

JCinSummerfield

Definitely US-23 between I-94 & US-12 in Washtenaw County, Michigan.

thefarmerchris

Quote from: I-55 on August 04, 2021, 12:04:54 AM
I-69 between Exits 316 and 317 in Indiana. Allen County has rapidly sprawled on the north side and the southwest side. Union chapel Road (Exit 317) is the last exit north in Allen County before the Dekalb County line (Mile 322) and the next exit is at Co Rd 11A (Exit 326). The stretch between 316 and 317 is where the 3rd lane each way ends, so traffic on I-69 is less spread. Add in everyone entering from Union Chapel with little merge room and you have congestion.

If INDOT is smart, they will also add in an aux lane on NB I-69 between Coldwater Rd and I-469 solely because of the traffic jam that occurs during the day. Maybe when they modify the 469/69 interchange in a couple years it'll get rectified.

MikieTimT

This is one that is almost indefensible since it was just completed a little over a year ago.  I-49 between the Wedington Dr. exit (current exit 64, until they renumber the exits to account for mileage down to Louisiana like the soon to be or already open newer sections of I-49) and Porter Rd./Mt. Comfort Rd (Exit 65).  Those exits are already less than 3/4 mile apart from each other to begin with, so that leaves less than half a mile of enforced merging, so anyone who is travelling through is pretty much forced into the center or left lane to keep from hitting brakes heavily (or stopping altogether as off-ramp traffic backs up onto the shoulder) during peak times.  They had the right-of-way already when they did the 6/8 lane expansion in Fayetteville, but couldn't be bothered to pave another 1/2 mile in each direction to keep the on-ramp as an off-ramp.  At 4:30PM onward, southbound I-49 traffic backs up onto the shoulder awfully close to the end of the on-ramp from Porter Rd. anyway, and it's hard to get over enough to stop on the shoulder with such a short one lane off-ramp onto Wedington Dr.

I-49 Exit 64 southbound
I-49 Exit 65 northbound

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

tolbs17

Desperately needed here. I might have to request or find plans to add an exit lane here (and widen the exit ramp to two lanes) as well as reconfiguring the nearby NC-97 interchange.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8332744,-78.3103441,370m/data=!3m1!1e3

tolbs17

In this plan, I-540 will get auxiliary lanes at every single interchange. I believe it's from US-70 to Capital Blvd (US-1). Ramp meters are a part of that plan too.

https://ncdot.maps.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?layers=8623ff32a0a249c79a106dfb12dc83b2

webny99

In the Buffalo area, I-290 has some egregious ones.

The most notable is between Exit 4 (I-990) and Exit 5 (NY 263). Heading east, the two lanes entering from I-990 collapse into the mainline in the span of about 800 feet, squeezing all traffic into the three thru lanes to pass under Maple Ave, only for a decel lane for NY 263 to open up almost immediately. And westbound, the two lane exit to I-990 is wasted by the bottleneck. It's even more egregious when compared to heading the other direction from I-990, which has a full 10-lanes between there and US 62. This setup should be mirrored heading towards NY 263.

I-290 WB also has a short 600-foot span between Exit 5 (NY 263) and Exit 6 (NY 240/324) with no auxiliary lane, though EB does have an auxiliary lane in this instance.

And then there's the eastern terminus of I-290, where new auxiliary lanes on I-90 have helped somewhat (especially on I-90 EB), but I-290 EB still backs up due to the auxiliary lane formed on I-90 exiting to NY 33 WB. A 500 ft extension to join the lane that opens up for NY 33 EB (shown here) would do wonders, and it's baffling why this was not done with the recent project. This would make a full 8-lanes in both directions between I-290 and the south side of the NY 33 interchange.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.