News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: mgk920 on December 04, 2021, 07:37:04 PM
I'm thinking that that is a special 'retro' themed design that (Caltrans?) is offering.

Mike

I wasn't able to find it on the DMV website.

Also, note that "California" is written in script, whereas the retro plates (yellow on blue, yellow on black) use the older block-type text.

mukade

Quote from: catch22 on December 02, 2021, 02:27:10 PM
Michigan brings back retro "Water Winter Wonderland" yellow on blue license plate as an alternate plate choice:

Link:  https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/MISOS/bulletins/2fed729

I remember the originals from the mid-60s. I think I still have one from my parents' car. That was a great color.

I wonder if Michigan will ever adopt the flat plates.

thenetwork

Years ago, Ohio had a special Red-On-Amber plate that was issued to drivers with DUI convictions.  Basically giving the driver a plate that pretty much allowed them to drive to work and/or school.  When the semi-suspension was over, the driver would get their regular plates back.

Perhaps these are special plates that give those with DUI charges the same limited driving permissions that Ohio gave???

ski-man

Quote from: thenetwork on December 04, 2021, 10:12:46 PM
Years ago, Ohio had a special Red-On-Amber plate that was issued to drivers with DUI convictions.  Basically giving the driver a plate that pretty much allowed them to drive to work and/or school.  When the semi-suspension was over, the driver would get their regular plates back.

Perhaps these are special plates that give those with DUI charges the same limited driving permissions that Ohio gave???

A great idea. But you know someone now a days would sue that the plate would be singling them out and be infringing on their rights or some crap like that.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: ski-man on December 06, 2021, 04:18:43 PM

A great idea. But you know someone now a days would sue that the plate would be singling them out and be infringing on their rights or some crap like that.

It's a terrible idea.  We as a society don't easily identify people for offenses for other crimes in this manner. We shouldn't do it for this either.

And there is no evidence this work.  At best, Ohio's DUI rates are no different than the rest of the country's.

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/pdf/impaired_driving/drunk_driving_in_oh.pdf

Rothman

I want to bring back the public stocks.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jzn110

Michigan brings back retro "Water Winter Wonderland" yellow on blue license plate as an alternate plate choice:

It looks like these are replacing the green/white/blue "Spectacular Peninsulas" plates, as the Michigan SOS no longer lists them as an available option on their website.

Scott5114

Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 06, 2021, 04:45:51 PM
Quote from: ski-man on December 06, 2021, 04:18:43 PM

It's a terrible idea.  We as a society don't easily identify people for offenses for other crimes in this manner. We shouldn't do it for this either.

And there is no evidence this work.  At best, Ohio's DUI rates are no different than the rest of the country's.

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/pdf/impaired_driving/drunk_driving_in_oh.pdf

In Oklahoma, they actually print the words SEX OFFENDER in red over your photo on your driver license. I was always a little weirded out when I carded someone at work to do a credit card transaction and got one of those. That's not information I want to have.

There's a little more justification for having a DUI offender flagged while operating a motor vehicle, but there's no guarantee that the person driving the car is going to be in the process of reoffending (or even that the offender is the one driving at the time), so the plates are not very useful as a warning device. The benefit would primarily be for law enforcement, and these days that can be handled by a notation displayed on the computer when performing a plate lookup.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

wanderer2575

Any new option that doesn't incorporate the godawful "Pure Michigan" tagline is a good thing.

GCrites

Especially when you see a really rusty car with the Pure Michigan tags. "Now that's Pure Michigan"

frankenroad

Ohio still has these.  From a distance they look like old New Mexico plates.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

tigerwings

Quote from: frankenroad on December 08, 2021, 04:22:24 PM

Ohio still has these.  From a distance they look like old New Mexico plates.

Rusting cars; Awful roads; Detroit; Pure Michigan.    (I can rip on my hometown)

There are plenty of (not so) Pure Michigan spoofs on YouTube.

GCrites

I think (think) that you only get the yellow DUI tags if the car is shared for work commuting with another family member and that they do them in lieu of ignition interlocks. I again think it has something to do with making someone that has never been charged with OMVI (Ohio's term) blow into the interlock -- that being the family member that uses the car that didn't get the DUI. Cars with the yellow tags can be pulled over at any time to check for sobriety of the person who got the DUI.

OCGuy81

Oregon has recently updated their Cultural Trust plate. I'm liking the new design!

jakeroot

That is hilariously awful, holy shit.

And to think Pacific Wonderland is one of the best plate designs ever. Get it together, Oregon.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jakeroot on December 10, 2021, 12:43:21 PM

And to think Pacific Wonderland is one of the best plate designs ever. Get it together, Oregon.

Eh.  Color me one of the ones that thinks it's kinda cool.  Legible and interesting.

jakeroot

Quote from: jayhawkco on December 10, 2021, 12:57:53 PM

Eh.  Color me one of the ones that thinks it's kinda cool.  Legible and interesting.

I disagree completely. The white typeface disappears into the design on the left, and the "n" in Oregon disappears into the mountain.

The background is incredible, but it does not belong on a license plate. It's simply too complex.

SEWIGuy

Yep.  I like it.

Rothman

Quote from: jakeroot on December 10, 2021, 01:42:55 PM

I disagree completely. The white typeface disappears into the design on the left, and the "n" in Oregon disappears into the mountain.

The background is incredible, but it does not belong on a license plate. It's simply too complex.
I'm with you on this.  Too busy.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jdbx

Of course it's also a flat-printed plate, so that makes the legend blend even more into the background. I think legibility would be improved greatly if all of the characters were given a black outline or drop shadow.  One has to wonder how much review these designs undergo with regards to practical concerns like contrast and readability.

7/8

Quote from: jdbx on December 10, 2021, 04:11:16 PM

Of course it's also a flat-printed plate, so that makes the legend blend even more into the background. I think legibility would be improved greatly if all of the characters were given a black outline or drop shadow.  One has to wonder how much review these designs undergo with regards to practical concerns like contrast and readability.

Not enough review in Ontario at least (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-licence-plate-foi-findings-1.6154105). The now-discontinued plates are almost impossible to read at night! It's embarrassing that these were issued, and the fact that they haven't been recalled.

I'm also of the opinion that while the Oregon one does looks cool, it isn't practical for a licence plate design (it'd probably be hard to read from a distance).

OCGuy81

I do think the new Cultural Trust plate is an improvement over the previous version.

wanderer2575

I agree with jakeroot.  It's not supposed to be a f***ing advertisement for tourism, but that's what a lot of license plates have become.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: wanderer2575 on December 19, 2021, 10:53:06 AM

I agree with jakeroot.  It's not supposed to be a f***ing advertisement for tourism, but that's what a lot of license plates have become.

Why can't it be an advertisement for tourism?

Rothman

Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 19, 2021, 11:55:51 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on December 19, 2021, 10:53:06 AM

Why can't it be an advertisement for tourism?
https://youtu.be/YU0q1ztAemw

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.