Rural Freeways That Need Six Lanes

Started by webny99, January 01, 2019, 12:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 18, 2021, 12:40:57 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on June 18, 2021, 12:34:39 PM
I don't think any part of I-75 between Bay City, MI and Miami should be under six lanes. In fact it should be six lanes up to the US-23 split in Standish. That is a logical point to cut it back down to four lanes because a lot of traffic stays on US-23 heading toward Lake Huron. The stretch between the US-23 split in Flint and the south end of I-475 should be 6-8 lanes as well.
I'll exclude I-75 in Macon from the 6 laning, as I-475 is the bypass and is 6 laned already.
Yeah that doesn't need to be six lanes unless the traffic counts are high enough. A new Ohio River crossing is really needed, the Brent Spence Bridge needs to be replaced. I made it from Troy to Findlay in an hour the other day I thought that was pretty good and I didn't want to stop on the four lane stretch.

Crown Victoria

Looks like that I-65 widening between Nashville and Kentucky is happening. First segment goes to construction this fall.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/tdot-to-widen-i-65-from-nashville-to-kentucky-state-line

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Crown Victoria on June 22, 2021, 09:55:34 AM
Looks like that I-65 widening between Nashville and Kentucky is happening. First segment goes to construction this fall.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/tdot-to-widen-i-65-from-nashville-to-kentucky-state-line

Looks like it will not be rural in construction.  Looks like this will no longer be a rural interstate.   :no: :ded: :angry:
TDOT provided the following outline of the project:

I-65, north of Nashville, will be widened from four to six lanes with three 12-foot travel lanes in each direction, 12-foot paved outside shoulders, 12-foot paved inside shoulders, with approximately 300 feet of right-of-way and a concrete median barrier wall where required.
Two northbound truck climbing lanes will be constructed — one between mile markers 99 and 100 and another between mile markers 102 and 104.
An auxiliary lane will also be added in each direction between the interchanges of Rivergate Parkway (Exit 96) and SR 174 (Long Hollow Pike, Exit 97) to accommodate traffic exiting and entering the roadway.

sprjus4

Sounds like a typical rural interstate highway widening cross section. Given the high volumes, it's needed. It also indicates concrete median barrier wall will only be used where needed, the large grassy median could be retained in certain areas.

Either way, glad to finally see this project started. It's been long overdue.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 22, 2021, 10:54:24 AM

Looks like it will not be rural in construction.  Looks like this will no longer be a rural interstate.   :no: :ded: :angry:

The road could have as wide a profile as they can make it...if it's in a rural area, then it's rural.

Besides, three 12-foot travel lanes each way, with 12-foot paved inside and outside shoulders, and a median barrier...plenty of examples of that in rural areas. Just look at the Blue Mountain to Carlisle stretch of the PA Turnpike...

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Crown Victoria on June 22, 2021, 11:46:09 AM

The road could have as wide a profile as they can make it...if it's in a rural area, then it's rural.

Besides, three 12-foot travel lanes each way, with 12-foot paved inside and outside shoulders, and a median barrier...plenty of examples of that in rural areas. Just look at the Blue Mountain to Carlisle stretch of the PA Turnpike...

Agreed, and the widened portions of the Ohio Turnpike west of Cleveland still feel perfectly rural to me as well.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

SkyPesos

On the contrary, this have one of the widest patches of grassy median I've seen, though it would in no way be considered rural.

JoePCool14

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 22, 2021, 12:01:21 PM
On the contrary, this have one of the widest patches of grassy median I've seen, though it would in no way be considered rural.

That's funny that you sent that, as I'm currently sitting at a hotel about a mile away from that. Yes, it's a huge median, but it's crazy how much of a difference that makes for the feel of the highway.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

sprjus4

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 22, 2021, 11:54:30 AM

Agreed, and the widened portions of the Ohio Turnpike west of Cleveland still feel perfectly rural to me as well.
Same with I-35 in Texas between Dallas-Fort Worth and Austin.

SkyPesos

Quote from: JoePCool14 on June 22, 2021, 12:07:12 PM

That's funny that you sent that, as I'm currently sitting at a hotel about a mile away from that. Yes, it's a huge median, but it's crazy how much of a difference that makes for the feel of the highway.
If you're only a mile from that, you're also only about 5-7 miles from me  :D

sprjus4

Here's I-295 that bypasses Richmond, VA to the east. I'd say this is relatively rural.

SkyPesos

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 22, 2021, 12:09:56 PM
Here's I-295 that bypasses Richmond, VA to the east. I'd say this is relatively rural.
I think a lot of beltways have a section that looks relatively rural (even with grassy medians sometimes), but it's actually suburban or exurban. Like here's I-275 on the east side of Cincinnati and I-270 on the south side of Columbus.

sprjus4

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 22, 2021, 12:19:18 PM
I think a lot of beltways have a section that looks relatively rural (even with grassy medians sometimes), but it's actually suburban or exurban. Like here's I-275 on the east side of Cincinnati and I-270 on the south side of Columbus.
I'd say I-295 is more exurban / rural. There's some growth areas, but the beltway largely functions as a rural bypass route carrying heavy regional volumes from I-95 and I-64. The speed limit is posted at 70 mph, which VDOT keeps reserves for rural freeways. The highest they've posted on an urban freeway is 65 mph.

But I do understand where your statement is coming from. I-410 on the southside of San Antonio, TX is still relatively rural (development has concentrated on the northern and western side of the city) and feels that way driving on it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.3220063,-98.4553215,3a,41.7y,270.21h,83.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skECghYh6bFgmX2LLn5MbrA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1?hl=en

jeffandnicole

TDOT provided the following outline of the project:

If a concrete barrier was a guideline, the PA Turnpike wouldn't be rural either, despite it going thru a few hundred miles of farmland and mountainous terrain.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 22, 2021, 12:23:36 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on June 22, 2021, 12:19:18 PM
I'd say I-295 is more exurban / rural. There's some growth areas, but the beltway largely functions as a rural bypass route carrying heavy regional volumes from I-95 and I-64. The speed limit is posted at 70 mph, which VDOT keeps reserves for rural freeways. The highest they've posted on an urban freeway is 65 mph.

But I do understand where your statement is coming from. I-410 on the southside of San Antonio, TX is still relatively rural (development has concentrated on the northern and western side of the city) and feels that way driving on it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.3220063,-98.4553215,3a,41.7y,270.21h,83.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skECghYh6bFgmX2LLn5MbrA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1?hl=en

Some of I-95/495 southeast of DC fits this description as well - I think I've said this before in other threads, but there is a noticeable difference in 495 between Montgomery & Prince George's Counties (which IMHO may have played a role in routing I-95 around the east side, despite being a couple miles longer than going around the west side).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

webny99

Wow, I'm impressed. I didn't realize that section of the PA Turnpike was six lanes.

Let's get a bit of a Road Sign Uno trend going: From PA to OH to OH, and now back to PA, with one of the widest suburban/exurban medians I've ever seen: I-490 near MM 13

jeffandnicole

Quote from: webny99 on June 22, 2021, 12:39:17 PM

Wow, I'm impressed. I didn't realize that section of the PA Turnpike was six lanes.

Let's get a bit of a Road Sign Uno trend going: From PA to OH to OH, and now back to PA, with one of the widest suburban/exurban medians I've ever seen: I-490 near MM 13

There's some areas of the Garden State Parkway where Express/Local roadways exist with fairly wide medians not only between the different direction of travel, but also between the *same* direction of travel. This exists just 10 or 15 miles south of NYC.

kkt

Quote from: nexus73 on June 13, 2021, 03:05:20 PM
Quote from: Bickendan on June 13, 2021, 02:13:07 AM
I-5 from OR 62 to US 199

If we replaced the original I-5 viaduct in Medford, then we can 6-lane all the way south until the land flattens out.  Obviously the Rogue Valley needs 6 lanes but as we head south and have a ton of truck traffic, they need the extra lane for climbing up and dropping down so the other 2 lanes of passenger vehicle traffic can proceed at a decent speed.

Oh heck, just 6-lane minimum all of I-5 and call it a day!  There is so much traffic on it.

Rick

Yes.  There is no part of I-5 that is comfortable with less than six lanes.

Avalanchez71

I notice that six lanes on I-75 between Chattanooga and Atlanta is no better traffic wise than back in the four lane days.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 23, 2021, 10:19:15 AM
I notice that six lanes on I-75 between Chattanooga and Atlanta is no better traffic wise than back in the four lane days.
Really? Induced demand or does it need 8 lanes?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

sprjus4

The traffic volumes on that segment of I-75 are close to or above 100,000 AADT. That highway's capacity would be failing if it was still 4 lanes. Given those high numbers, it proves that 8 lanes is needed and 6 lanes is underbuilt. 4 lanes is not even an option.

Take a look at something like I-95 that only carries 55,000 - 60,000 AADT and has been 6 laned throughout. Virtually never any congestion.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 23, 2021, 12:31:06 PM
The traffic volumes on that segment of I-75 are close to or above 100,000 AADT. That highway's capacity would be failing if it was still 4 lanes. Given those high numbers, it proves that 8 lanes is needed and 6 lanes is underbuilt. 4 lanes is not even an option.

Take a look at something like I-95 that only carries 55,000 - 60,000 AADT and has been 6 laned throughout. Virtually never any congestion.
Wow that's a lot more traffic than I would think.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

sprjus4

More progress being made... the entire project stretches from MM 241 to MM 233 and will be fully complete by Fall 2021. Upon completion, between 2016 and 2021, approximately 26 miles of I-64 between MM 254 and MM 233, and between MM 200 and 205, will have been expanded from 4 to 6 lanes. A 28 mile gap between MM 205 and MM 233 will remain at 4 lanes until funding is identified to complete that stretch.

New, Third Travel Lane Opens Along Eastern Project Limits of I-64 Widening Project
QuoteYORK COUNTY — As of overnight on Tuesday, June 22, contractor crews with the Virginia Department of Transportation's (VDOT) I-64 Widening Segment III Project have increased vehicle capacity eastbound by opening approximately two miles of a third travel lane to traffic. Following overnight operations to adjust traffic barriers, motorists are now able to utilize a third lane for travel on I-64 east between the on-ramp at Route 143 (exit 238) to the eastern limits of the project, just west of Route 199 (exit 242).

Lane closures will continue as needed in this section of I-64, as well as throughout the project corridor. Crews will also be implementing lane closures to place the final surface layer of pavement across all lanes to create a smooth riding surface throughout the project corridor.

Motorists are reminded to continue to obey the reduced work zone speed limit of 55 mph on I-64 and to drive with caution when traveling in the project work zone.
All project work and scheduled closures are dependent upon weather conditions. 

For additional scheduled lane closures this week and to learn more about the I-64 Widening Segment III project, please visit the project website at http://i64widening.org/learn_more/segment_3.asp.

doorknob60

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 23, 2021, 12:49:48 PM
More progress being made... the entire project stretches from MM 241 to MM 233 and will be fully complete by Fall 2021. Upon completion, between 2016 and 2021, approximately 26 miles of I-64 between MM 254 and MM 233, and between MM 200 and 205, will have been expanded from 4 to 6 lanes. A 28 mile gap between MM 205 and MM 233 will remain at 4 lanes until funding is identified to complete that stretch.

New, Third Travel Lane Opens Along Eastern Project Limits of I-64 Widening Project
QuoteYORK COUNTY – As of overnight on Tuesday, June 22, contractor crews with the Virginia Department of Transportation’s (VDOT) I-64 Widening Segment III Project have increased vehicle capacity eastbound by opening approximately two miles of a third travel lane to traffic. Following overnight operations to adjust traffic barriers, motorists are now able to utilize a third lane for travel on I-64 east between the on-ramp at Route 143 (exit 238) to the eastern limits of the project, just west of Route 199 (exit 242).

Lane closures will continue as needed in this section of I-64, as well as throughout the project corridor. Crews will also be implementing lane closures to place the final surface layer of pavement across all lanes to create a smooth riding surface throughout the project corridor.

Motorists are reminded to continue to obey the reduced work zone speed limit of 55 mph on I-64 and to drive with caution when traveling in the project work zone.

For additional scheduled lane closures this week and to learn more about the I-64 Widening Segment III project, please visit the project website at http://i64widening.org/learn_more/segment_3.asp.

The rest of this definitely needs to happen, but it's good seeing progress. I drove from north of Richmond to Chesapeake on Friday afternoon (I know, probably the worst time to be fair), and the whole rural stretch between I-295 and Williamsburg was in a constant flux between 35 and 65 MPH, with it occasionally coming to a near stop, never was really able to keep a constant speed. Once we hit the 6 lane section past Williamsburg it opened up to 75-80 MPH haha. Until we got stuck for 20+ minutes approaching the tunnel, but that's nothing new there.

skluth

Quote from: doorknob60 on June 23, 2021, 06:09:27 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on June 23, 2021, 12:49:48 PM

QuoteYORK COUNTY — As of overnight on Tuesday, June 22, contractor crews with the Virginia Department of Transportation's (VDOT) I-64 Widening Segment III Project have increased vehicle capacity eastbound by opening approximately two miles of a third travel lane to traffic. Following overnight operations to adjust traffic barriers, motorists are now able to utilize a third lane for travel on I-64 east between the on-ramp at Route 143 (exit 238) to the eastern limits of the project, just west of Route 199 (exit 242).

(image deleted)

The rest of this definitely needs to happen, but it's good seeing progress. I drove from north of Richmond to Chesapeake on Friday afternoon (I know, probably the worst time to be fair), and the whole rural stretch between I-295 and Williamsburg was in a constant flux between 35 and 65 MPH, with it occasionally coming to a near stop, never was really able to keep a constant speed. Once we hit the 6 lane section past Williamsburg it opened up to 75-80 MPH haha. Until we got stuck for 20+ minutes approaching the tunnel, but that's nothing new there.

Did you use the HRBT or Monitor-Merrimac? The HRBT has backed up at all times for years but when I left Tidewater backups on I-664 were pretty rare unless there was an accident. I'd use I-664 to get to Chesapeake in most cases.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.