Regional Boards > Ohio Valley

Western Kentucky Parkway as Interstate spur from I-69 to I-165

<< < (8/8)

The Ghostbuster:
If Interstate 71 were extended south along Interstate 65 to the eastern terminus of the Western Kentucky Parkway, the co-currency of the two Interstates would be about 45.3 miles long. Not the longest co-currency in the country (Interstates 80 and 90 run together for 278.4 miles in Indiana and Ohio), but it would be a significant co-currency for the state of Kentucky (Interstates 24 and 69 are co-current for about 16.7 miles, and Interstate 71 is co-current with Interstate 75 for about 20 miles). That's probably why the Western Kentucky Parkway is becoming another 3di of Interstate 69.

Life in Paradise:

--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 03, 2022, 04:14:51 PM ---If Interstate 71 were extended south along Interstate 65 to the eastern terminus of the Western Kentucky Parkway, the co-currency of the two Interstates would be about 45.3 miles long. Not the longest co-currency in the country (Interstates 80 and 90 run together for 278.4 miles in Indiana and Ohio), but it would be a significant co-currency for the state of Kentucky (Interstates 24 and 69 are co-current for about 16.7 miles, and Interstate 71 is co-current with Interstate 75 for about 20 miles). That's probably why the Western Kentucky Parkway is becoming another 3di of Interstate 69.

--- End quote ---

If that would be the reason, I would feel it is a very poor reason not to have I-71 badged on the Western Kentucky Parkway for a 3di.  Kentucky is planning too many of those 3di's for my taste.  I would have rather KY had done the North Carolina thing and made what is now I-165 and the Audubon Parkway a 2d.  If NC got I-73, I-74, I-89, and I-42 approved, that for sure would have been approved (Take your pick 52, 54, 56, 58, 60-strike that, 62).  I can see the I-169 to Hopkinsville, but that is still a bit of a stretch.  The Cumberland Parkway 3d also would be too much.  I'd just as well have them badge it the same as the 2d from Henderson to Bowling Green and extend it to Somerset (it will at some time in the future...perhaps 22nd century) make it to I-75.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version