News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Signs at state lines put up by one state that refer to things in the other state

Started by KCRoadFan, August 22, 2020, 09:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 05, 2020, 05:25:25 PM
I wonder if when the I-57 extension goes through, IDOT will change from "Memphis" to "Little Rock".

Given IDOT, I'd say no.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ozarkman417

I wonder if when the I-57 extension goes through, IDOT will change from "Memphis" to "Little Rock".
Here's a prediction for the I-55 interchange:

The current sign------------------------------Becomes:

60 WEST                                          57 SOUTH 60 WEST
  Dexter                                                 Poplar Bluff
Popular Bluff                                          Little Rock AR

tdindy88

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 05, 2020, 08:58:19 PM
Well Hammond would probably be the only other Indiana city to go with and that's right next to Chicago so if Hammond would be it you mine as well make it Chicago.

Once you get north of Kentland Hammond basically does become the control city for US 41. All mileage signs north of Kentland list Hammond instead of Chicago. Chicago gets its last mention on US 41 northbound after the merge from US 52.

I-55

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 06, 2020, 09:25:40 PM

It'll be more interesting to see what Arkansas puts as the control city. I could see Jacksonville, Searcy, Jonesboro, and/or Sikeston over Chicago.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

thspfc

thspfc

Quote from: I-55 on September 06, 2020, 10:22:24 PM

It'll be more interesting to see what Arkansas puts as the control city. I could see Jacksonville, Searcy, Jonesboro, and/or Sikeston over Chicago.
If they do choose Chicago as the primary control (doubtful but cetrainly possible), that would be the furthest away primary control city in the country, surpassing Memphis being signed in Chicago for I-57.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

amroad17

Quote from: thspfc on September 06, 2020, 10:33:13 PM

If they do choose Chicago as the primary control (doubtful but cetrainly possible), that would be the furthest away primary control city in the country, surpassing Memphis being signed in Chicago for I-57.
The control city could be St. Louis.  There are a few mileage signs listing the distance to St. Louis on NB US 67 north of Little Rock.

https://goo.gl/maps/ySh1xax91A35qYxW6
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 06, 2020, 03:43:04 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 31, 2020, 12:29:44 PM

As does VTrans

I know it's not in Quebec, but is this the only QC route shield in existence with an English directional banner?

Given everything federal is bilingual, there are plenty of route shields around bridges that have both English and French banners, e.g. https://goo.gl/maps/EHJhuSeW45spGSUw7

I'd imagine everything along the border in ON or NB would be bilingual as well, though you might find something English-only that was locally installed in one of the predominantly anglophone areas.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Flint1979

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 06, 2020, 10:02:52 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on September 05, 2020, 08:58:19 PM
Well Hammond would probably be the only other Indiana city to go with and that's right next to Chicago so if Hammond would be it you mine as well make it Chicago.

Once you get north of Kentland Hammond basically does become the control city for US 41. All mileage signs north of Kentland list Hammond instead of Chicago. Chicago gets its last mention on US 41 northbound after the merge from US 52.
So I'd think it should be Hammond on IN-63 as well since that merges right into NB US-41.

thspfc

Quote from: amroad17 on September 07, 2020, 02:07:59 AM

The control city could be St. Louis.  There are a few mileage signs listing the distance to St. Louis on NB US 67 north of Little Rock.

St Louis would make more sense than Chicago, but I would just go with Searcy, then Jonesboro, then StL, and finally Chicago north of Sikeston.

Flint1979

I-57 SB starting in Chicago could have Kankakee, Champaign, Effingham, Mt. Vernon, Marion and Sikeston over Memphis. That's six control cities they could use instead of Memphis. I hate how they'll use a control city for a highway that isn't anywhere near the actual highway.

Like in Michigan with I-275 using Flint as a control city (yes I-275 was suppose to reconnect to I-75 near Davisburg but it doesn't and never will). Novi, Livonia or Farmington Hills would be a better control city than Flint even if I-275 reconnected to I-75 near Davisburg.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 07, 2020, 02:57:29 PM
I-57 SB starting in Chicago could have Kankakee, Champaign, Effingham, Mt. Vernon, Marion and Sikeston over Memphis. That's six control cities they could use instead of Memphis. I hate how they'll use a control city for a highway that isn't anywhere near the actual highway.
For whatever reason, Marion is not used along I-57 or I-24. Cairo is used on I-57, tho.

I-24 West uses "Interstate 57"  as the Local Control in lieu of Marion, but whatever

Leaving Chicago, I-57 should probably have Champaign/Urbana as the SB Control, imho

JoePCool14

Quote from: Brandon on September 06, 2020, 10:41:03 PM
Quote from: thspfc on September 06, 2020, 10:27:09 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.508154,-88.9836294,3a,55.1y,252.72h,87.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQVkawfOzADeneFb4Dh7sUw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Fairly sure this was put up by WISDOT because of the font, which is different from the font used in Illinois.

That's distinctly WisDOT.  The exit tab is a dead giveaway.

The sign is also not an ugly eyesore like most of the trash put out by IDOT, that's a dead giveaway too.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 08, 2020, 02:28:43 PM
Quote from: Brandon on September 06, 2020, 10:41:03 PM
Quote from: thspfc on September 06, 2020, 10:27:09 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.508154,-88.9836294,3a,55.1y,252.72h,87.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQVkawfOzADeneFb4Dh7sUw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Fairly sure this was put up by WISDOT because of the font, which is different from the font used in Illinois.

That's distinctly WisDOT.  The exit tab is a dead giveaway.

The sign is also not an ugly eyesore like most of the trash put out by IDOT, that's a dead giveaway too.

Also I'm pretty sure that "Illinois" shield is actually a county shield with the text changed.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ErmineNotyours

WSDOT-spec sign put up in Idaho.  Single sheet instead of stacked horizontal panels, and the exit tab is part of the sign and fits across the whole top of the sign.

By the way, the sign is on one side of a river bridge, and the actual exit is on the other side, in Washington State.  I was thinking of starting a thread for river crossing bridges that cross state lines that aren't defined by the river, but I don't think there would be any other examples.

jmacswimmer

This one is interesting since the physical split happens in PA just before entering DE, but...
PennDOT signs for I-95 DE exit 11

(This sign closer to the split does at least list off 3 exits located all the way into DE)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

roadfro

Another one for Nevada: I-15 northbound Primm 1 mile advance sign (without mention of it being "Exit 1"),

Quote from: gonealookin on August 23, 2020, 08:05:03 PM
Advance sign for Exit 83 on southbound US 395 in Nevada gets a Caltrans exit "tab":

https://goo.gl/maps/dhs4Htna3oUZF8oXA

Which is too bad, because the old button copy sign at that location had two fun oddities: (1) Misspelling of Bordertown as "Border Town", and (2) the rare external exit tab in California, which was reflective and mounted in the center. (On seeing this the first time, my mind imagined NDOT sneaking into California under cover of darkness to attach the exit tab to Caltrans' sign.)

Following that advance sign, there's also blue motorist service signs for fuel and camping/food installed to Caltrans spec for things at the Bordertown exit.

Previously, there was a white regulatory sign between the BGS advance and the motorist service signs, which was warning about hazardous material permits required and Nevada Highway Patrol contact info. Interesting thing here is that, aside from the sign being abnormally wide, it's an NDOT spec sign–the metal sign supports are the telltale indicator. This appears to have been removed in the last two years.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

nwi_navigator_1181

I'd be willing to bet future I-57 would have St. Louis as its northbound primary, with Sikeston, Poplar Bluff, and Corning as secondaries. One main reason is that AR 440 northbound at I-40 is given St. Louis as a control outside Little Rock, so there's some level of precedent.

Once closer to I-55 (and likely after US 67 breaks from that physical route), mentions of Chicago would be more prominent, until it's the new primary north (east?) of I-55. Again, that's my thought process, and not the end-all be-all.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

webny99

This sign in Pennsylvania refers to an upcoming exit and an upcoming toll, both of which are in New York.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on September 20, 2020, 11:09:02 PM

I'd be willing to bet future I-57 would have St. Louis as its northbound primary, with Sikeston, Poplar Bluff, and Corning as secondaries. One main reason is that AR 440 northbound at I-40 is given St. Louis as a control outside Little Rock, so there's some level of precedent.

Once closer to I-55 (and likely after US 67 breaks from that physical route), mentions of Chicago would be more prominent, until it's the new primary north (east?) of I-55. Again, that's my thought process, and not the end-all be-all.

Same for I-69 going north out of Houston.  Currently it is signed with the US-59 control city of Cleveland, but I am sure when I-69 is completed that will change to Shreveport. 

CoreySamson

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on September 21, 2020, 09:29:19 AM
Same for I-69 going north out of Houston.  Currently it is signed with the US-59 control city of Cleveland, but I am sure when I-69 is completed that will change to Shreveport.

Yeah maybe, but I can very well see Lufkin being mentioned first before Shreveport.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

amroad17

Quote from: webny99 on September 21, 2020, 08:18:24 AM
This sign in Pennsylvania refers to an upcoming exit and an upcoming toll, both of which are in New York.
I wonder why Pennsylvania did not have an EXIT 61 tab above the sign?  Maybe waiting for New York to decide when to install mileage-based EXIT signs and what exit number it would be (1, the more likely, or 495)?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

ethanhopkin14

I-55

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on September 21, 2020, 09:29:19 AM
Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on September 20, 2020, 11:09:02 PM

I would like to point out that the St Louis control is likely there because of US-67 going from Little Rock up to St Louis (mostly as a divided highway) and having nothing to do with the proposed route for I-57. I think the routing of I-57 will take precedent over US-67 to STL but it's still a very cloudy prediction.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.