News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most Popular Interchange Trend by Decade

Started by Georgia Guardrail, February 20, 2024, 08:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georgia Guardrail

It is fascinating to see the evolution of freeway interchanges over the decades.  Excluding regular diamond interchanges, here is my list of what seems to be the most popular types of interchanges by decade. 

Any additions or revisions you would add?

Interchanges of Freeways and Non Freeways
Cloverleafs - 1940s thru 1960s
SPUIs - late 1970s thru mid 1990s
Diverging Diamonds - early 2010s to the present

Interchanges between Freeways
Cloverleafs - 1940s thru mid 1970s
Windmill - mid 1970s thru mid 1980s
Stacked Flyovers - late 1980s to present

My guess is that they used cloverleafs a lot initially because cars didn't accelerate as fast as they do today so not as much weave space at the merges was required.  Plus they had more room to build them than today because there was more space available then with less building around.

kphoger

Cloverleaf?  Why?  Because there was less traffic back then.  And because weaving wasn't the known issue then that it is now.

And what else had even been invented yet?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Wouldn't slower accelerating cars make weaving more of an issue, not less?  Merging is more complicated with a big speed disparity, after all.  kphoger's reasoning re:cloverleafs makes more sense to me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

lepidopteran

Between turnpikes/toll roads and anything else, a double trumpet.  This would apply to the heyday of toll-road building, probably through the 1960s. I've often said that sometimes these were built even when a trumpet was not really needed for the non-freeway side.

Does not apply to toll roads that used a barrier system from the start.

ran4sh

With barrier tolls, the "butterfly" interchange was common, to allow both exiting and entering traffic to go through the same toll booth
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

kurumi

There may also be a transition between directional 3-way and semi-directional 3-way system interchanges (that is, left exit/entrance on the main route or not).

In Connecticut, at least (opening dates within a year or so, but plans date back earlier):

directional:
I-84 and US 7 (1961)
I-95, CT 349 (1966)
I-84, CT 72 (1970, 1975)
I-91/291 (1973, but construction halted)
CT 9/72 (1978 -- as CT 72 and SR 506)

semi-directional:
I-84/691 (1987)
I-84/384 (1989)
I-84/291 (1994)
I-91, CT 20 (1994)

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Henry

For many years, the Circle Interchange (now Jane Byrne) was the only one of its kind, but now there are new interchanges that use this design, such as I-85 at I-485 north of Charlotte and I-295 at FL 202 east of Jacksonville. While stacks are great in their own right, I absolutely love the turbine because it functions like a stack, without all the extra levels.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

epzik8

Diverging diamonds and single-point urban interchanges are all the rage right now...
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Henry on February 20, 2024, 10:59:07 PM
For many years, the Circle Interchange (now Jane Byrne) was the only one of its kind, but now there are new interchanges that use this design, such as I-85 at I-85 north of Charlotte and I-295 at FL 202 east of Jacksonville. While stacks are great in their own right, I absolutely love the turbine because it functions like a stack, without all the extra levels.

There's another one at I-4 and I-75, which would be one of my favorites, if it weren't for a nearby landmark.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Scott5114

I tend to associate SPUIs more with the 2000s, since during that decade it seemed like they were the king of the freeway-to-surface interchanges. (Oklahoma didn't get its first SPUIs until the tail end of the 2000s.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Georgia Guardrail

Forgot to add the roundabout diamonds.  Along with diverging diamonds, those seem increasingly more popular as well from the mid 2010s to the present.

ilpt4u

How about Freeway "T"/3-way Interchanges?

Is there a timeline preference for a Trumpet vs the 3-level Y/T Stack Interchange?

Henry

Quote from: Georgia Guardrail on February 22, 2024, 09:17:28 PM
Forgot to add the roundabout diamonds.  Along with diverging diamonds, those seem increasingly more popular as well from the mid 2010s to the present.
You probably meant to say dumbbells, but roundabout diamonds is just as good.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mgk920

Quote from: Henry on February 23, 2024, 09:50:47 PM

I've always heard them being referred to as 'Dogbone' roundabouts.

Mike

freebrickproductions

Quote from: mgk920 on February 24, 2024, 12:25:24 AM

Mike

I thought those two were slightly different?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Big John

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 24, 2024, 02:29:12 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on February 24, 2024, 12:25:24 AM

Mike

I thought those two were slightly different?
Yes, a dumbell has a full circle on both ends while a dogbone omits the inside portion on both ends as it is lightly used as it can only be used to make a U-turn.

roadman65

I wonder if NJ will ever build a DDI or Dogbone? They seem to be the only state that don't want to accept modern design and still even keeping a cloverleaf at the Garden State Parkway/ NJ 37 intersection where other states would convert to a SPUI or Parclo.

Most likely it's because NJDOT likes it's left turn free arterials which a SPUI would violate, but a Parclo could still work having the exits on the right to match the jug handles.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

epzik8

Whatever they're called, there can never be enough of them in my eyes (even if some find them tricky to navigate...)
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.