News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Removed Roundabouts

Started by KCRoadFan, August 21, 2021, 12:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

I know that throughout the last couple of decades - both in my area and around the country - roundabouts have become a lot more common (sometimes a little too common, in my opinion). That made me wonder: do you know of any intersections where a roundabout was removed?

Anyway, I can't really think of any examples of roundabouts being taken out and reverted to stop sign or traffic light intersections, but I'm sure they must be out there somewhere.

ozarkman417

I originally found this in the thread 'Quickest a roundabout has been removed': https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/cone-zone-hollywood-boulevard-roundabout-removed/video_cac02d5b-4d52-51df-940b-3b1d929a0d7c.html. Roundabout was removed at the intersection of Hollywood Blvd and Sahara Ave in Vegas. Done as a result of complaints from nearby residents.

Here is one that was considered controversial because its barely a roundabout, and was subsequently removed https://www.tampabay.com/news/transportation/roads/controversial-roundabout-in-old-northeast-to-become-a-thing-of-the-past/2177710/

On a related note, This roundabout is totally useless, and I have simply drove over the "circle" rather than going around at times.

Rothman

Yeah, I have heard of other cases of the stupid painted circle roundabouts being reconfigured.  Believe there's one somewhere around here in central NY that a locality is doing just that with.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ztonyg

Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 21, 2021, 12:29:30 AM
I know that throughout the last couple of decades - both in my area and around the country - roundabouts have become a lot more common (sometimes a little too common, in my opinion). That made me wonder: do you know of any intersections where a roundabout was removed?

Anyway, I can't really think of any examples of roundabouts being taken out and reverted to stop sign or traffic light intersections, but I'm sure they must be out there somewhere.

Roundabouts were removed at the Happy Valley Rd. / I-17 interchange and replaced with a diverging diamond interchange.

The satellite view shows the old configuration and the maps shows the new: https://goo.gl/maps/JDu7SwrcYq1nLTEp7

1995hoo

Maryland removed one at the BW Parkway's Arundel Mills interchange and turned it into a half-DDI, for lack of a better description (there's no road west of the interchange, so there's no second crossover).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US 89

Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 21, 2021, 12:29:30 AM

I expected the OP to be somebody else. You sure your name isn't tradephoric?  :bigass:

At any rate, one example that comes to mind for me is on 11400 South in South Jordan, Utah at its intersections with River Heights Dr and Summer Heights Dr. When 11400 South was widened through the area in the late 2000s, those two intersections were more or less combined to form what amounted to one huge roundabout. Here is a Google Earth image from 2010:

In the late 2010s, they got rid of the roundabout and converted it to two signalized intersections. That was done at the same time as the Bangerter Highway intersection just to the west was upgraded to a SPUI. Google Earth from 2019:

hotdogPi

That's a rotary. Those are being removed more often than they're created.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

ErmineNotyours

SkyPesos

tradephoric

I-55

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 21, 2021, 06:33:05 PM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on August 21, 2021, 06:19:05 PM
Before:

Not a real roundabout, but signed as such.
I wonder how often the signs in the middle gets knocked down...

Reminds me of this in my hometown. First time I drove through I forgot it was even a roundabout because you don't really have to try to avoid the middle.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Hot Rod Hootenanny

University Circle, next to Case Institute of Technology on the eastside of Cleveland. (Junction of Euclid Ave, Chester Ave & Liberty Blvd)
Not sure when University Circle was built, but it was removed by 1962
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

tradephoric

Smith Road and Everson Goshen Road appeared to be constructed as a single-lane roundabout around 2015 and has since been converted back to a 4-way stop.  This roundabout was even featured in a presentation in 2017 by the transportation research board.  But if it was so right-sized, why is it no longer there?!

"Right-Sizing Roundabout Intersections for State Highways"
https://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/webinars/171107.pdf

tradephoric

If you look at the 1999 aerial on Google Earth there are 5 "circular" intersections SE of Spartan Stadium in East Lansing.  They have since been removed and are now all standard signalized intersections.  My guess is dealing with traffic control on game day was a headache with the roundabouts and it was easier to lock signals in an event plan on game day to move traffic in/out of the stadium. 

J3ebrules

Oh a bunch in Jersey. I actually live just off a fairly recently (2002, but that's recent to me lol) removed roundabout called the Collingswood Circle. Locals still call it that even though it's 20 years gone. Ellisburg Circle in Cherry Hill was taken out in "˜95. I think there's a Wikipedia page dedicated to former NJ circles, since our state is so damned famous for them.
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

There has been a handful of roundabouts removed in East Lansing with one removed in Brighton it turns out.

What should be removed is State Street & Ellsworth Road roundabout as there is always one driver or a few who always act like they don't know how to drive around it.
Renewed roadgeek

23skidoo

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 31, 2021, 03:11:09 AM
There has been a handful of roundabouts removed in East Lansing with one removed in Brighton it turns out.

What should be removed is State Street & Ellsworth Road roundabout as there is always one driver or a few who always act like they don't know how to drive around it.

Seconding this. Also, the roundabout at 14 Mile and Orchard Lake should be removed too. It has become one of the most crash-prone intersections in the state.

triplemultiplex

For a few years in the middle 10's, there was a roundabout at the temporary southern end of the US 12 freeway between Baraboo and Lake Delton.  The roundabout tied US 12 back in with its old alignment until the freeway was extended past Baraboo at which point the roundabout was removed.  You can see the ghostly image of the removed roadways in this aerial photograph:
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=43.48866,-89.77728&z=17&t=S

The tuft of green in the middle is the red cedars that were planted in the middle of the roundabout landscaping.  Here's a ground view I took in early 2018:

It's a special case where not only the roundabout was removed, but also all of the roads that fed into it.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: 23skidoo on January 01, 2022, 08:25:25 AM
Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 31, 2021, 03:11:09 AM

Seconding this. Also, the roundabout at 14 Mile and Orchard Lake should be removed too. It has become one of the most crash-prone intersections in the state.

I went on that roundabout only a few times last year, and there was never a shortage of idiots at this roundabout.
Renewed roadgeek

MCRoads

Has anyone already mentioned the roundabout on the Bella Vusta Bypass that was replaced with a SPUI?
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.