Regional Boards > Northwest

Journey to Alaska - Aug-Sep 2021

(1/2) > >>

M3100:
Here are some highway-related pics from a recent trip to Alaska, roughly from south to north.  The pics of bridges were taken from a train.
Roads were well maintained for the most part. 

1. Southern "End" of AK State Highway 1 at Homer, or more specifically Homer Spit.  No "End" or "Begin" sign in sight.  In fact, much of AK Highway 1 had few signs.

2. AK Highway 3 near Denali Park. Between this point and the Fairbanks area, the highway was viewed in spots from a train.

3. AK Highway 3 bridge over the Nenana River, between Denali Park and Healy.

4. Another view of the AK Highway 3 bridge.  Note the pedestrian "catwalk" on the lower frame of the bridge.

5. AK Highway 3 bridge over the Tanana River at Nenana. 

6. AK Highway 3 in the Fairbanks area.

7. AK Highway 2 in the Fairbanks area.

8. Junction of AK Highway 2 and AK Highway 6 in Fox, north of Fairbanks.

9. AK Highway 2 just north of the AK Highway 6 junction.

Alps:
Nice seeing some of those bridges from a side view.

triplemultiplex:

--- Quote from: M3100 on September 19, 2021, 05:57:07 PM ---9. AK Highway 2 just north of the AK Highway 6 junction.

--- End quote ---

For some reason I find it amusing that it's more than twice as far to Manley as it is to Livengood.  Seems like a metaphor.
Like it's only an hour to Livin' Good.  But if you wanna be "Manly" you gotta go way farther. :-P

JayhawkCO:
Nice pics. Saw a lot of things I recognized from my trip in June.  The Parks Highway is a really pretty drive most of the way for sure.

Chris

oscar:

--- Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 24, 2021, 10:02:51 AM ---For some reason I find it amusing that it's more than twice as far to Manley as it is to Livengood.  Seems like a metaphor.
Like it's only an hour to Livin' Good.  But if you wanna be "Manly" you gotta go way farther. :-P

--- End quote ---

The highway to Livengood is paved. The rest of the way to Manley is mostly unpaved, and often was rather gnarly (more so than the Dalton Hwy) when I last drove both in 2012.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version