News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Limon

Started by JayhawkCO, November 25, 2021, 11:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which describes you?

I have been to/through Limon, CO and I think it's fine as a primary control city.
38 (40.9%)
I have NOT been to/through Limon, CO and I think it's fine as a primary control city.
17 (18.3%)
I have been to/through Limon, CO and I don't think it should be used as a primary control city.
16 (17.2%)
I have NOT been to/through Limon, CO and I don't think it should be used as a primary control city.
22 (23.7%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Occidental Tourist

Couldn't this debate be ended once and for all by Limon agreeing to rename itself East Denver?

hbelkins

Limon has value as a control city. Burlington does not.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

So after about a day and a half of poll selections, it's pretty much panned out how I thought it would.  Most of the people who have been through the area agree with the status quo.  For those that are against the status quo, a larger portion have never actually been here.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 26, 2021, 10:00:13 AM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on November 26, 2021, 09:55:52 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 25, 2021, 11:22:40 PM
Hopefully, there is not a fifth option:  Been to Limon due to commission to the Colorado Department of Corrections

*sheepishly raises hand*

not a nice place.

Better than being in Florence!

i was a canon city facility for a while and could see it from there. might not be so bad tho. limon was.... chaotic, a lot of unsavory stuff going on whereas florence, just kick back. opinions could vary, though. i don't recommend any of them, though. behave yourself, and you'll never have to deal with it. </std-psa>
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

thspfc

I personally am done with the Limon debate. There's no right or wrong answer. It's all opinion.

Scott5114

I still don't understand why anyone would skip Topeka as a control city. It's a state capital, and not one of those weird little ones like Jeff City or Pierre. It's a city of over 100,000 people, and the fifth-largest city in Kansas (third-largest if you skip suburbs of Kansas City). While it's sort of close to Kansas City, KC doesn't claim it and considers it its own thing.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: thspfc on November 27, 2021, 11:48:12 AM
I personally am done with the Limon debate. There's no right or wrong answer. It's all opinion.

I'm glad we got this on record.  :-D
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 27, 2021, 12:06:49 PM
I still don't understand why anyone would skip Topeka as a control city. It's a state capital, and not one of those weird little ones like Jeff City or Pierre. It's a city of over 100,000 people, and the fifth-largest city in Kansas (third-largest if you skip suburbs of Kansas City). While it's sort of close to Kansas City, KC doesn't claim it and considers it its own thing.

The metropolitan statistical areas for Topeka and Kansas City border one another, and the population of the Kansas City one dwarfs that of Topeka by an order of magnitude.

Moreover, being a state capital doesn't really matter for wayfinding in and of itself. That said, it does increase the likelihood that people would have heard of it. And for that reason, I wouldn't be too bothered if it were used as a control city, even if I wouldn't pick it myself.
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Scott5114

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on November 27, 2021, 12:15:47 PM
Moreover, being a state capital doesn't really matter for wayfinding in and of itself.

Yes, it does. Thanks to elementary school geography classes, the one city in every state anyone knows is the capital. (For anyone outside the Northeast, the first city in Vermont you're going to think of is Montpelier, even though that's nowhere near its most important city.) Signing "Topeka" is exactly as good as signing "Kansas" for most people, except it's more specific for people who have a destination in Kansas.

Flint1979

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 27, 2021, 12:06:49 PM

The metropolitan statistical areas for Topeka and Kansas City border one another, and the population of the Kansas City one dwarfs that of Topeka by an order of magnitude.

Moreover, being a state capital doesn't really matter for wayfinding in and of itself. That said, it does increase the likelihood that people would have heard of it. And for that reason, I wouldn't be too bothered if it were used as a control city, even if I wouldn't pick it myself.
The metro areas of Detroit and Flint come close to touching each other same with Flint and Saginaw which happen to be in the same media market but that doesn't stop MDOT from using Flint and Saginaw on I-75. To me the control city should be the city that is at the next major junction.

Flint1979

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 27, 2021, 12:22:14 PM
Moreover, being a state capital doesn't really matter for wayfinding in and of itself.

Yes, it does. Thanks to elementary school geography classes, the one city in every state anyone knows is the capital. (For anyone outside the Northeast, the first city in Vermont you're going to think of is Montpelier, even though that's nowhere near its most important city.) Signing "Topeka" is exactly as good as signing "Kansas" for most people, except it's more specific for people who have a destination in Kansas.
I agree. Almost always the state capital is going to be the most important city in a state but there are a few exceptions I think. Topeka is good as a control city on I-70.

on_wisconsin

Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Big John

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Mixture of lime and lemon as portrayed in 1970s Sprite commercials.

US71

Quote from: Big John on November 27, 2021, 03:41:25 PM

Limon means Lemon in Spanish
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

DenverBrian

Quote from: US71 on November 27, 2021, 08:16:59 PM
Quote from: Big John on November 27, 2021, 03:41:25 PM

Limon means Lemon in Spanish
I am fairly sure no lemon trees ever grew in Limon.

Scott5114

The Wikipedia article on Limon notes that the Ports-to-Plains Corridor passes through Limon. So maybe someday we'll see a sign in Amarillo for I-27 north, Limon.  :-D

SkyPesos

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 27, 2021, 08:44:12 PM
The Wikipedia article on Limon notes that the Ports-to-Plains Corridor passes through Limon. So maybe someday we'll see a sign in Amarillo for I-27 north, Limon.  :-D
Limon could possibly become a crossroads in the interstate highway system, with I-27 from the south, and maybe an x70 to Colorado Springs, depending on how fast Colo Springs continues to grow.

US71

Limon has a number of quaint motels in addition to a lot of big names.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 27, 2021, 12:22:14 PM

Yes, it does. Thanks to elementary school geography classes, the one city in every state anyone knows is the capital.

This is pretty much what my full quote said. To wit:

And so, I'm not sure if there's a nuance here that you're trying to insist upon, or if you're just trying to emphasize your overall disagreement with me here.

Scott5114

I'm emphasizing that, because of a state capital being half of a paired list in most people's minds, a state capital can be used as a synonym for an entire state, even when it's a small city. So if "Hays" is seen as undesirable because unfamiliar motorists are not likely to associate it with Kansas (and thus the east, coming from Denver), Topeka is a good choice because for people who just need a sign saying "toward Kansas" it means the same thing. At the same time, someone with a specific destination elsewhere in Kansas, like Dodge City, is given the additional information that this route may not be the best route for them, as it heads to a part of the state that they are not interested in visiting.

TLDR: in before someone says 'just sign "Kansas"'

Roadgeekteen

Limon/Kansas City or Limon/Kansas

Problem solved. Don't you dare use it westbound unless it's with Denver. Eastbound is fine as there is nothing out there in the plains.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

oscar

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 28, 2021, 04:19:47 AM
Problem solved. Don't you dare use it westbound unless it's with Denver. Eastbound is fine as there is nothing out there in the plains.

But Limon makes more sense as a westbound control city. That's where WB traffic peels away on US 24 from I-70 for Colorado Springs, which is a major Colorado metro area (city population about half a million) even if not as much as Denver. My own travels west on I-70 usually take me to Colorado Springs or other southern Colorado destinations, rather than Denver. Seeing Limon on a BGS reassures Colorado Springs-bound WB travelers, after the intense boredom of western Kansas and far eastern Colorado, that they haven't missed their turn from I-70.

EB, while Limon is a good watering hole, it's not much different from Burlington CO, Goodland KS, or any other western Kansas destination or stopover. And my guess is that EB Limon is not a major turning point for traffic heading southeast, where there's no metro area nearly as large as Colorado Springs.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Flint1979

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 27, 2021, 08:44:12 PM
The wikipedia page also calls Limon a Hub City.

epzik8

I have driven past it on I-70 and don't lean one way or the other.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

SkyPesos

Quote from: oscar on November 28, 2021, 05:03:46 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 28, 2021, 04:19:47 AM

But Limon makes more sense as a westbound control city. That's where WB traffic peels away on US 24 from I-70 for Colorado Springs, which is a major Colorado metro area (city population about half a million) even if not as much as Denver. My own travels west on I-70 usually take me to Colorado Springs or other southern Colorado destinations, rather than Denver. Seeing Limon on a BGS reassures Colorado Springs-bound WB travelers, after the intense boredom of western Kansas and far eastern Colorado, that they haven't missed their turn from I-70.
That's like saying Findlay should be signed as a primary control city in Toledo over Dayton on I-75 SB because OH 15 breaks off here for traffic heading towards Columbus.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.