Best Creative/Funny Exit Name In Each State...

Started by thenetwork, December 21, 2021, 10:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassoon1986

Quote from: hbelkins on December 22, 2021, 12:44:27 PM
Kentucky's is probably the brown exit sign for Big Bone Lick State Park on I-75.

Another possibility is the Waddy-Peytona exit on I-64. It's the unofficial halfway point between Lexington and Louisville, although both communities are just wide spots in the road and the exit would really be a nondescript rural interchange if two major chain truck stops hadn't been built there.

For years, the signs were the last full-text-based exit signs left in Kentucky, with the text "KY 395 Waddy Peytona" displayed. But in a sign replacement project, the eastbound signs were changed with Peytona above Waddy, in compliance with the MUTCD requirement that the destination on the left side of the exit goes on the top line. There was a bit of a public flap about it and some media coverage.

https://www.theandersonnews.com/content/sign-spat-sparks-civil-war-between-waddy-peytona

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/30948047/the-courier-journal/

https://misc.transport.road.narkive.com/euPmJKGZ/i-64-in-ky-waddy-peytona-exit-or-petona-waddy

The two towns were even combined to create the name of a fictional NASCAR character who never quite became as famous as Ricky Bobby or Cole Trickle. https://www.fictiondb.com/title/spinout~harpercollins~1736314.htm
Sharkey Farmers on I-64 is a good one, too.

iPhone

lepidopteran

Some possibilities
OH: both on I-75

• Exit 58, Needmore Rd.
  • Exit 21, Cin-Day Rd.  I know Cincinnati-Dayton Rd. wouldn't fit on the sign, but I always thought it odd to have that BGS notation.
  • There is/was an exit on SR-2 for "Put-in-Bay".
NJ: 

• SR-17, no exit number, Ho-Ho-Kus
  • US-46, The Ridgefields.  Sounds like the name of a sitcom. Not sure if it's still signed as such.
  • NJTP, Exit 15W, Kearny (and) The Oranges.  Sounds like a 50s rock-and-roll band.  But this has since been re-signed as merely Newark (and) Kearny.
MD:

• Exit 8, SR-100, Coca-Cola Dr.
  • Exit 14, SR-32, Broken Land Parkway.  Also signed on Exit 18 of US-29.
  • Edit: I still sing The Flintstones theme song when passing Exit 56 of I-68

DandyDan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 21, 2021, 11:27:25 PM
MN:

Opportunity Drive (I-94 exit 173)

Cretin Ave (I-94 exit 237) - Joseph Cretin was St. Paul's Catholic bishop, also lending his name to a local high school in St. Paul. Not the only street with a French name that MSP has corrupted; Nicollet Ave is "Nickel-It", not "Nickel-Eyy".
This might be representing my old hometown, but I prefer Innovation Road on US 61 in Cottage Grove. This is the exit for the 3M plant there.

Nebraska's is almost certainly Exit 369, for Beaver Crossing.

I don't have a good one for Iowa.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Terry Shea

Quote from: lepidopteran on December 22, 2021, 02:01:08 PM

There is/was an exit on SR-2 for "Put-in-Bay".

Wouldn't you get awful wet driving there?

hobsini2

Quote from: Henry on December 22, 2021, 10:02:16 AM
Here's one from my home state of IL:

Metropolis off I-24 (it leads to the namesake of Superman's city)
And the local newspaper in Metropolis is the Metropolis Planet.
https://www.metropolisplanet.com/
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

The local favorite around here is in Kenosha County on I-94.  Exit 340 (Wis 142/Hwy S) goes to the (Richard) Bong Recreation Area.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5990627,-87.9521491,3a,75y,16.5h,80.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sm3XBxD2KhWHDK1wRXfHW9Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

thspfc

Wisconsin's is definitely the Bong sign because of the irony of it being in a state where weed is illegal, yet just a couple miles away from a state where it's legal.

Big John

I-85 in Gwinett County GA.  SR 378 Beaver Ruin Road.

CNGL-Leudimin

For Pennsylvania I'd rather put up I-76 Denver. No, I didn't mean Colorado, but Pennsylvania :sombrero:.

Now for whole countries, I think Spain's outright winner would be A-4 exit 283 for Guarroman (Guarro means "dirty", so it sounds like an anti-superhero).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

SkyPesos

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 22, 2021, 06:07:30 PM
For Pennsylvania I'd rather put up I-76 Denver. No, I didn't mean Colorado, but Pennsylvania :sombrero:.
The sign is technically not wrong either way, as I-76 does go to Denver, CO  :-D

Though this reminded me of another thread idea: highways with two same named different state cities both used as control cities.

GaryV

Evan_Th

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 22, 2021, 06:10:57 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 22, 2021, 06:07:30 PM
The sign is technology not wrong either way, as I-76 does go to Denver, CO  :-D

Though this reminded me of another thread idea: highways with two same named different state cities both used as control cities.

That I-76 doesn't go there. :D

ran4sh

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 22, 2021, 06:10:57 PM

Like Texarkana TX and Texarkana AR, assuming each state is using their own city as the control on I-30.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

tallfull

Quote from: thenetwork on December 21, 2021, 10:08:30 PM
There must be a memorable exit in each state that Roadgeeks try to visit and take pictures of the sign(s) denoting the exit.

Time to make a list of each state's most memorable Highway EXIT (MUST be a bona-fide exit).

Here are the three states I will start with:

CALIFORNIA:  I-15 @ Zzyzx Road

COLORADO:  I-70 @ No Name (in Glenwood Canyon)

MICHIGAN:  I-75 @ Big Beaver Road -- EXIT 69!!!

You used to be able to get off I-75 at Exit 69 and take Big Beaver Road to Hooters Restaurant. Alas, the Hooters closed several years ago, thus eliminating a great trifecta of humorous names.

Dirt Roads

Not many good ones in West Virginia.  I-79 has Exit 40 (Big Otter) and I-64 has Exit 133 (Pluto Road). 

I like the twist that I-64 has Exit 143 (Meadow Bridge/Green Sulphur Springs) and Exit 175 (White Sulphur Springs/Caldwell) plus Exit 181 (White Sulphur Springs).  Also, in between them I-64 crosses Smoot Road just west of Exit 156 (Sam Black Church), and Smoot Road used to turn into Blue Sulphur Springs Road, which goes to the old abandoned resort town of the same name.  Plus, WV-12 and the Alta exit (Exit 161) will take you to the resort town of Red Sulphur Springs in Monroe County, but that is 20 miles off of I-64.  For the record, Green Sulphur Springs was never a famous resort town.

Just for kicks, an exit was considered for Blue Sulphur Road in Cabell County but instead got located on a spur constructed where I-64 gets really close to US-60 between Ona and Barboursville.  That location (now Exit 20B) is now the main entrance to the Huntington Mall.  Before the mall was constructed, Exit 20 was signed only as Ona for eastbound I-64 and signed only as Barboursville only for westbound traffic.

skluth

Quote from: thspfc on December 22, 2021, 05:21:30 PM
Wisconsin's is definitely the Bong sign because of the irony of it being in a state where weed is illegal, yet just a couple miles away from a state where it's legal.

At first I thought you meant the Bridge, but cannabis isn't legal in Minnesota either. It's been a while since I passed this sign. The additional irony of it being a recreation area is a nice bonus.

skluth

It's certainly not the best, but Other Desert Cities is funny and creative in its own way. It was funnier when the "O" in Other was strangely lower case. It's still funny when those other cities include Rancho Mirage, Indian Wells, and Coachella which are arguably more well known than Indio.

DenverBrian

Texas: We always joked that there were so many ways to get to Turnaround we couldn't count 'em!

Scott5114

Quote from: skluth on December 24, 2021, 01:03:01 PM
Quote from: thspfc on December 22, 2021, 05:21:30 PM

At first I thought you meant the Bridge, but cannabis isn't legal in Minnesota either. It's been a while since I passed this sign. The additional irony of it being a recreation area is a nice bonus.

I was curious, so I looked it up–both are named after the same guy, Richard I. Bong, who was a flying ace from Superior who later died in a test flight accident. His name ended up getting attached to the recreation area (which is on the other end of the state from Superior) because the site was originally planned to be Bong Air Force Base. They started building it, but before they even got the runway finished, the project was cancelled, probably because someone realized what horrible idea it was to have an air force base that close to O'Hare.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Road Hog

Any sign in Arkansas (exit or control city) advertising Bald Knob.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Road Hog on December 31, 2021, 12:51:05 AM

i thought i saw in the beavis/butthead movie two exits called 'big piney'  and 'weippe'. i think they're real exits somewhere (montana/wyoming maybe?)

they also drove by 'bald knob'.

can't think of any here in colorado. where's the other colorado guy?
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on December 22, 2021, 09:32:27 AM
Witchduck Road (unsigned VA 190) on I-264. It sounds silly until you learn the context (it's named for Witchduck Point, where suspected witches were tried and executed).

what about 'dam neck'?

if she weighs as much as a duck, she's a witch and should hang by her dam neck?
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

bassoon1986

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on December 31, 2021, 10:38:57 AM
Quote from: Road Hog on December 31, 2021, 12:51:05 AM

i thought i saw in the beavis/butthead movie two exits called 'big piney'  and 'weippe'. i think they're real exits somewhere (montana/wyoming maybe?)

they also drove by 'bald knob'.

can't think of any here in colorado. where's the other colorado guy?
Not a BGS, but supplemental sign for Toad Suck Park along I-40 in Conway.

iPhone

rlb2024

Another one from south Louisiana -- I-12 exit 35, Baptist/Pumpkin Center, both unincorporated communities in Tangipahoa Parish.  Nothing to do with religion or Halloween decorations.

empirestate

In Missouri, I assume the local chamber of commerce gets its due mileage out of this one:
https://goo.gl/maps/why6TV3PDFV69CtB7

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.