Best, coolest, or most impressive stretches of highways

Started by achilles765, January 09, 2022, 04:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jmd41280

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 10, 2022, 05:08:57 PMI've never been on that road north of downtown. Thanks for the link.

No problem at all. As a native Yinzer, I can say that the entrance via I-279 south is very underrated. Coming off I-79 south, you go through alternating stretches of suburbia and wooded valleys. Going down the East Street Valley, you round a bend and one of the best angles of the Pittsburgh skyline suddenly comes into view.
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: achilles765 on January 09, 2022, 04:02:10 AM
I have been wondering what others think are some of the most impressive or most interesting stretches of highways they have seen or experienced?

I was thinking this should be two categories:
1. Most impressive urban highway/freeway, meaning a stretch of highway or freeway in an urban area that is particularly impressive or interesting/cool to see or drive though.  Things like interesting interchanges, lane configurations, stacks, skyline views, scenery up against urban landscapes--that kind of thing
and
2. Most beautiful and impressive scenic landscapes...like I-70 in Colorado, I-15 in the Virgin River Gorge

Out of the places I have driven, I will always like the stretch of IH 45 here in Houston within the 610 loop, including the Pierce Elevated, which I really don't want them to tear down...I like IH 10 and US 90 in New Orleans, the double decked portions of I 10 in San Antonio, the BQE/I-278 in NYC, IH 35W/820 and 35E/635 areas in DFW, and I 93 in Boston.
The only scenic routes I have been able to enjoy were I-81 in the mountains of PA and the videos I have seen of Texas Loop 375 in EL Paso

I love all your entries.  Additions to most expensive would be Katy Freeway in Houston and The Atchafalaya Basin Bridge in Louisiana always makes me jaw drop how they built an 18 mile long elevated highway though a swamp. 

Great Lakes Roads

I-635 in Dallas with those "trenched" express lanes.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: jmd41280 on January 11, 2022, 08:57:12 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 10, 2022, 05:08:57 PMI've never been on that road north of downtown. Thanks for the link.

No problem at all. As a native Yinzer, I can say that the entrance via I-279 south is very underrated. Coming off I-79 south, you go through alternating stretches of suburbia and wooded valleys. Going down the East Street Valley, you round a bend and one of the best angles of the Pittsburgh skyline suddenly comes into view.

Not to totally devolve into good/great "BOOM!" moments of seeing the Pittsburgh skyline, I-376/Parkway east heading into town, coming around the sharp bend before the Oakland/Glenwood exit ain't too shabby either.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

webny99

Rochester has a bit of a "blink and you miss it" downtown, but I've always enjoyed this view from I-490, especially at night.

The state as a whole doesn't have a lot of very interesting interstates in rural areas... There's I-87 north of Albany, and maybe parts of I-81. I-86/NY 17 is scenic too. But unless I'm missing something obvious, it's mostly pretty boring other than that.

thspfc

My favorite stretch of rural Interstate in the Midwest is I-39/90/94 between CTH-V in DeForest and WI-33. Especially on a fall or winter afternoon.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on January 13, 2022, 08:16:30 AM
Rochester has a bit of a "blink and you miss it" downtown, but I've always enjoyed this view from I-490, especially at night.

The state as a whole doesn't have a lot of very interesting interstates in rural areas... There's I-87 north of Albany, and maybe parts of I-81. I-86/NY 17 is scenic too. But unless I'm missing something obvious, it's mostly pretty boring other than that.
I-87 is pretty nice, especially in the Adirondacks but also around the Catskills.  I-90 is also pretty nice in the Mohawk Valley.  I-88 has its moments too.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jmacswimmer

An upthread post mentioned I-90/Mass Pike thru Newton - I'll go ahead and expand that to the duration of I-90 from I-95/MA 128 to MA 1A beyond BOS.

There's the parallel Commuter Rail tracks from Weston to South Station, the aforementioned Star Market & Four Points hotel over the highway, the brief elevated stretch above the tracks squeezed between BU & the Charles, followed by 3 tunnels in quick succession (Prudential, Fort Point, Ted Williams).  Not to mention the absolute mazes of interchanges at I-93 & Logan that extend into the adjacent tunnels...That stretch was always a blast to ride during airport runs in my college years.

There's also a brief view of downtown Rochester from I-390 just south of the Thruway, prior to descending a hill.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 10, 2022, 08:47:22 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 10, 2022, 08:43:47 PM
Minnesota doesn't have much, but it's probably MN 61. Some of the 1960s-era rock cuts (particularly just NE of the MN 1 junction and the section from Grand Portage to the border) are pretty neat. After Grand Marais it spends a lot of time at lake level which gives a different perspective, before climbing back high above the lake to cross the border.

MN 61 is one of the best roads in the Great Lakes Region.  M-26 and WI 13 come to mind as other scenic Lake Superior stretches.  I would take M-26 for overall scenery over M-22.

61 probably has the most miles of lakeview of any of these routes, which for me is a big plus.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

thspfc

Quote from: vdeane on January 13, 2022, 12:48:28 PM

I-87 is pretty nice, especially in the Adirondacks but also around the Catskills.  I-90 is also pretty nice in the Mohawk Valley.  I-88 has its moments too.
This style of post gives me flashbacks to the Illinois is not flat threads. Difference is, when you click the links in this post, you actually get scenic views, not a bunch of trees at the edge of a cornfield.

vdeane

Quote from: thspfc on January 14, 2022, 01:05:21 PM
Quote from: vdeane on January 13, 2022, 12:48:28 PM

This style of post gives me flashbacks to the Illinois is not flat threads. Difference is, when you click the links in this post, you actually get scenic views, not a bunch of trees at the edge of a cornfield.
The irony is that I was focusing on areas webny99 missed while myself missing that he already mentioned I-87 north of Albany, though it still works given that the phrase "I-87 north of Albany" can also refer to one of the most boring stretches of interstate in the state (outside of, say, fresh snow making the trees look like a winter wonderland).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.