News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Information Some may find Interesting

Started by Daniel Fiddler, December 30, 2021, 09:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Fiddler

Busiest Long-Distance Routes:

Primarily Motorists:

1st:  Miami, Florida <--> Boston, Massachusetts (especially Washington, DC - NYC section):  I-95 <--> I-295 Richmond, VA By-pass <--> I-95 <--> New Jersey Turnpike <--> I-95 <--> I-93

2nd:  San Diego, California <--> San Francisco, California:  I-5 <--> I-405 LA By-pass <--> I-5 <--> I-580 <--> I-80

Motorists and Trucks Combined

1st:  Tampa, Florida <--> Detroit, Michigan (especially 493 miles it shares with route below):  I-75 <--> I-475 Macon, GA By-pass <--> I-75

2nd:  Miami, Florida <--> Chicago, Illinois (especially 493 miles it shares with route above):  1-95 <--> Florida Turnpike Mainline <--> I-75 <--> I-475 Macon, GA By-pass <--> I-75 <--> I-24 <--> I-65 <--> I-90

Most Trucks Traversing States

1st Overall:  Texas

2nd Overall:  Tennessee

Most per Lane Mile:  Tennessee

Most Trucks Traversing Cities

Most Overall:  Chicago, Illinois

Most per Lane Mile (Worst Congestion):  Chattanooga, Tennessee

Bottlenecks

Worst Bottleneck:  I-95 Fort Lee, New Jersey (across Hudson River from NYC) between I-80 and George Washington Bridge

City with 1st most of 10 worst Bottlenecks:  Atlanta, Georgia, with 4

City with 2nd most of 10 worst Bottlenecks:  Nashville, Tennessee, with 2

JayhawkCO

Daniel Fiddler

Shit, I forgot everywhere I got my sources from.  All articles I read online.  I can probably dig them back up, especially the 10 worst bottlenecks, that was recent.  I do remember reading them in the past, but don't remember where I read them.

webny99

I'd be interested to know where the truck data came from. Pennsylvania has to be up there with Tennessee and Texas, it almost certainly has a lot more truck traffic on non-interstates than those states or any other state.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

vdeane

I'm curious about the routing of the greater I-95 corridor listed.  Does most traffic really bypass Richmond on I-295?  Google lists the same time for both, so driving the five extra miles wouldn't seem to be worth it outside of rush hour.  And it's so much more efficient to take I-91/I-84/I-90 than I-95 and I-93 between New Haven and Boston that Google doesn't even suggest the latter (it's also missing I-295 in NJ/DE to connect between I-95 and the New Jersey Turnpike, but I'm presuming that's just an oversight).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on December 30, 2021, 12:40:48 PM
I'm curious about the routing of the greater I-95 corridor listed.  Does most traffic really bypass Richmond on I-295?  Google lists the same time for both, so driving the five extra miles wouldn't seem to be worth it outside of rush hour.  And it's so much more efficient to take I-91/I-84/I-90 than I-95 and I-93 between New Haven and Boston that Google doesn't even suggest the latter (it's also missing I-295 in NJ/DE to connect between I-95 and the New Jersey Turnpike, but I'm presuming that's just an oversight).

One strategic advantage to I-295 around Richmond that wouldn't be apparent from maps is a higher speed limit (mostly 70 mph instead of 55 to 60). While most people aren't obeying the speed limit either way, the higher speed limit reduces the amount of the ticket if you get pulled over for going the same speed you would have been doing on the other road (and, in the 70-mph zone, gives you an extra 5 mph before you hit the reckless driving threshold).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on December 30, 2021, 09:07:37 AM
We need a southern and eastern bypass for Chattanooga.

Daniel Fiddler

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 30, 2021, 02:32:46 PM

Absolutely.

sprjus4

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 30, 2021, 01:41:41 PM

One strategic advantage to I-295 around Richmond that wouldn't be apparent from maps is a higher speed limit (mostly 70 mph instead of 55 to 60). While most people aren't obeying the speed limit either way, the higher speed limit reduces the amount of the ticket if you get pulled over for going the same speed you would have been doing on the other road (and, in the 70-mph zone, gives you an extra 5 mph before you hit the reckless driving threshold).
I-295 allows you to set your cruise at 75-80 mph and go without any issues the whole way. The speed limit is 70 mph throughout, with the exception of 65 mph near I-95 North.

I-95 traverses urban segments in Richmond and Petersburg that have tighter curves, lots of merging traffic in areas, and you're legally speed restricted to 55-60 mph, so more like 65-70 mph, maybe 75 mph if you push it in the 60 mph zone (which many do - and should be 65 mph)

I-295 may be slightly longer mileage wise, but it's much easier to drive and less stressful. Also, rarely any congestion even during peak periods due to it smartly being designed with 6 lanes for most of the way, and 8 lanes on the busiest I-95 North to I-64 East segment.

vdeane

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 30, 2021, 03:40:07 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 30, 2021, 01:41:41 PM

I-295 allows you to set your cruise at 75-80 mph and go without any issues the whole way. The speed limit is 70 mph throughout, with the exception of 65 mph near I-95 North.

I-95 traverses urban segments in Richmond and Petersburg that have tighter curves, lots of merging traffic in areas, and you're legally speed restricted to 55-60 mph, so more like 65-70 mph, maybe 75 mph if you push it in the 60 mph zone (which many do - and should be 65 mph)

I-295 may be slightly longer mileage wise, but it's much easier to drive and less stressful. Also, rarely any congestion even during peak periods due to it smartly being designed with 6 lanes for most of the way, and 8 lanes on the busiest I-95 North to I-64 East segment.
Google Maps factors in traffic speed in some way, shape, or form.  I imagine that's why the travel time was equal despite the mileage difference.

Don't forget the Hopewell speed trap.  The way people talk, it sounds like the pull people over even for 1-2 mph over.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ozarkman417

Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on December 30, 2021, 03:36:06 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on December 30, 2021, 02:32:46 PM

Absolutely.
For sure, though an eastern bypass would be far more easy and cheap to construct than a southern one, as a result of the north-south orientation of the Appalachian Mountains (particularly Lookout Mountain/The Cumberland Plateau). Another possible contributor to Chattanooga's congestion related to topography is I-24's 40 MPH curves in the city, created to orient the freeway through a mountain gap.

sprjus4

Quote from: vdeane on December 30, 2021, 09:12:09 PM
Don't forget the Hopewell speed trap.  The way people talk, it sounds like the pull people over even for 1-2 mph over.
Nope, they are shooting for 10 mph or more over. You are not getting pulled at 70-79 mph, and I've driven through there numerous times with the cruise at 74 or 75 mph and never had any issues, even with enforcement.

I'd take I-295 ten times over I-95 through, it's a far better and more rural route. I'd say the same for I-295 over I-64 for east-west travel. I've gone both ways, and the I-295 routing simply keeps the cruise at 75 - 80 mph vs. slowing down to the urban limits, dealing with merging traffic, curves, and heavy traffic overall.

1995hoo

But does Google factor in traffic speed or the speed limit? (That's a genuine question. I don't know.)

I might be more likely to go through on I-95 if I'm hungry because there are more options for stopping to eat along that route, although Wendy's new breakfast menu is pretty good and might change that equation because they have a location right off the last exit heading southbound on I-295. There's a Chick-Fil-A just off the highway in Mechanicsville, but getting in and out of their location is a nuisance.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: webny99 on December 30, 2021, 09:28:07 AM
I'd be interested to know where the truck data came from. Pennsylvania has to be up there with Tennessee and Texas, it almost certainly has a lot more truck traffic on non-interstates than those states or any other state.

Yes it would definitely be interesting to see where PA stands on this. No way we're not up near the top of the list, especially considering there's only one way for truck traffic between NJ, NY, and New England and the rest of the country to avoid PA (the Delaware Memorial Bridge).

And yes, a listing of non-interstate truck traffic would be nice to see. PA's got to be up there, with plenty of truck traffic on US 22, US 222, US 322, US 422, US 30, PA 61, and numerous other routes.

Daniel Fiddler

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 31, 2021, 08:40:13 AM
But does Google factor in traffic speed or the speed limit? (That's a genuine question. I don't know.)

I might be more likely to go through on I-95 if I'm hungry because there are more options for stopping to eat along that route, although Wendy's new breakfast menu is pretty good and might change that equation because they have a location right off the last exit heading southbound on I-295. There's a Chick-Fil-A just off the highway in Mechanicsville, but getting in and out of their location is a nuisance.

I know for an absolute fact that Google Maps and Mapquest cap at 65 mph, even if the speed limit is 70, 75, 80, or (on Toll Texas 130) 85.  I know because I have created mileage and driving times maps, and my driving times have differed sometimes dramatically from Google Maps and Mapquest.

They also do not always select the fastest route if the fastest route is slightly longer but has a higher speed limit.  I also know this from creating my mileage and driving times maps.

I have examples of two on my website (one from Walt Disney World and one from Gatlinburg), and you tell me if Google Maps and Mapquest give you the same driving time (I will almost guarantee they won't, especially if the route involves expressway) or route (90% or so of the time it will, 10% or so of the time it won't).

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on December 31, 2021, 09:30:56 AM

I know for an absolute fact that Google Maps and Mapquest cap at 65 mph, even if the speed limit is 70, 75, 80, or (on Toll Texas 130) 85.  I know because I have created mileage and driving times maps, and my driving times have differed sometimes dramatically from Google Maps and Mapquest.

They also do not always select the fastest route if the fastest route is slightly longer but has a higher speed limit.  I also know this from creating my mileage and driving times maps.

I have examples of two on my website (one from Walt Disney World and one from Gatlinburg), and you tell me if Google Maps and Mapquest give you the same driving time (I will almost guarantee they won't, especially if the route involves expressway) or route (90% or so of the time it will, 10% or so of the time it won't).

I disagree.  When I get on I-70 in eastern Colorado, and pick a destination 100 miles away, the ETA is an hour and fifteen minutes.

Daniel Fiddler

Quote from: jayhawkco on December 31, 2021, 09:33:43 AM

I disagree.  When I get on I-70 in eastern Colorado, and pick a destination 100 miles away, the ETA is an hour and fifteen minutes.

Strange.  I have not had that experience when creating my maps.  I have had an entire hour difference or so when tabulating distance between Jackson, TN and Walt Disney World between my time and Google Maps.  And I've capped my speed at 80 mph in the 70's south of Macon and 75 in the 70's north of Macon.

Mapmikey

Per VDOT traffic data about 1/3 of the traffic is using I-295 at the southern end.

There are signs on both ends on I-95 a few miles from 295 giving the travel time estimate for both routes at that point.  If you are operating on a time basis, I-295 should be your choice unless these signs show it being much longer than 45 min, which indicates some kind of problem.  I-95 is substandard in many portions throughout and minor incidents are way more likely to occur and way more likely to cause real delays.

I also concur the Hopewell speed trap is consistent presence of law enforcement catching 80+ mph drivers and not nabbing people going 72 mph.

QuoteThere's a Chick-Fil-A just off the highway in Mechanicsville, but getting in and out of their location is a nuisance.

Suggest using the one at I-95 at the Ashland exit or the one at I-295 at US 301/VA 2.  Both are way eaiser to get in/out from the interstate than the US 360 one.

Rothman

Quote from: jayhawkco on December 31, 2021, 09:33:43 AM

Yeah, my experience is that Google Maps takes into account at least the speed limit, no matter how high.  Where it becomes slightly iffy for me is if Google takes into account my average driving speed from past trips; I doubt it and believe they cap speeds at the limit.

Why anyone would use MapQuest nowadays is beyond me.  Their vector data is horrible and with my last interactions with them, no one really cared what was happening with the site.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SectorZ

Apple Maps just assumes you drive recklessly. I've driven before on a 20 mile stretch of 55 MPH road and have it tell me it was 17 minutes to get from one exit to the next, an avg. speed of 70.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SectorZ on December 31, 2021, 10:21:24 AM

Apple Maps just assumes you drive recklessly. I've driven before on a 20 mile stretch of 55 MPH road and have it tell me it was 17 minutes to get from one exit to the next, an avg. speed of 70.

15 over is reckless?

Daniel Fiddler

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 31, 2021, 10:23:46 AM

15 over is reckless?

Officially yes, which is ridiculous.

I once had an attorney who knew a judge would throw out a "reckless driving"  ticket of 86 or 87 in a 70 for I-75 in Warner Robins when I was driving between my house in metropolitan Orlando and my mother's house in Chattanooga.  So he moved for it to be changed from simple speeding to reckless driving so it would be moved from traffic to criminal court.  He was right, judge threw it out, no points, no fine, absolutely nothing.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on December 31, 2021, 10:35:02 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 31, 2021, 10:23:46 AM

15 over is reckless?

Officially yes, which is ridiculous.

I once had an attorney who knew a judge would throw out a "reckless driving"  ticket of 86 or 87 in a 70 for I-75 in Warner Robins when I was driving between my house in metropolitan Orlando and my mother's house in Chattanooga.  So he moved for it to be changed from simple speeding to reckless driving so it would be moved from traffic to criminal court.  He was right, judge threw it out, no points, no fine, absolutely nothing.

Definitely a state-by-state thing. Many are familiar with VA, where 85 in a 70, or 20 over otherwise, could be grounds for reckless driving. But in NJ, reckless driving based on speed alone is 40 mph over the limit. 104 in a 65 zone wouldn't qualify!

Daniel Fiddler

Indeed, New Jersey seems to be more lenient than Virginia and states in the Southeast.

Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee are mostly a county by county basis.  Some counties will only give you 5 or 10 allowance.  Some will give you much more.  I once was in a convoy between Fort Pierce and Orlando driving 120 - 125 mph on the Florida Turnpike Mainline, no cops pulled us over.

Madison County (where I live) for example will give you 15 mph or so on I-40 (in my experience, I have had no problems driving 85 mph on I-40 at least), and 10 mph on other roads.

Henderson County (where my mother and grandmother live) will give you 7, but at 8, they WILL ticket you!  At least in Lexington.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.