What were the biggest roads-related stories of 2021

Started by chays, January 11, 2022, 03:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chays

In your opinion, what were the biggest, most important news stories when it comes to roads, during 2021?

I think the completion of the Bella Vista Bypass in Arkansas was one of them.

What else? It could be new road construction, road re-numbering, re-routing of highways...anything important roads-related.

Max Rockatansky

Maybe the Rat Creek Side being repaired so quickly on CA 1 in Big Sur for California?

formulanone

The closure of the I-40 bridge over the Mississippi River was probably the biggest "event".

Great Lakes Roads

I-69 through Martinsville, IN being done in under a year and 15 miles of upgraded I-69.

jlam

The I-587 approval was big, but it has yet to be signed.

MCRoads

I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Bruce

BC getting cut off from the rest of Canada by multiple washouts in November, and then repairing a few sections by the end of the year.

MikieTimT

Arkansas:  You win some
Quote from: chays on January 11, 2022, 03:23:58 PM
In your opinion, what were the biggest, most important news stories when it comes to roads, during 2021?

I think the completion of the Bella Vista Bypass in Arkansas was one of them.

What else? It could be new road construction, road re-numbering, re-routing of highways...anything important roads-related.

You lose some
Quote from: formulanone on January 11, 2022, 03:35:59 PM
The closure of the I-40 bridge over the Mississippi River was probably the biggest "event".

It's like our sports teams.  Capable of amazing highs and lows, all in one package!  Always interesting, though.

LilianaUwU

In Québec, it's the opening of more of A-85, as well as the announcement that QC-158 would finally get dualized.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

sprjus4

The completion of the I-64 widening on the Peninsula outside Williamsburg, VA.

Construction began on the $4 billion HRBT expansion.

Construction underway / upcoming on nearly 50 miles of I-95 in North Carolina, widening from 4 to 8 lanes.

oscar

Quote from: LilianaUwU on January 11, 2022, 10:10:39 PM
In Québec, it's the opening of more of A-85, as well as the announcement that QC-158 would finally get dualized.

What about the renumbering of A-720 in Montreal to a new segment of QC-136? (Not a "freeway removal", since the highway is still an expressway, even without the Autoroute designation.) 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Great Lakes Roads

I'll add a couple more from Indiana:

Shutting down I-65/I-70 for the North Split rebuild for 18 months
Interchange reconstruction (I-65 at 109th Avenue in Crown Point) to a roundabout
Land clearing in preparation for the US 31 interchange at 236th Street
US 12 realignment in Miller

jeffandnicole

The retaining wall collapse at the I-295/I-76/Rt. 42 construction project in NJ.

It wasn't as big of a news story as it could've been as the roadway that collapsed was still a few years from opening, so no one was on it or otherwise injured. It occurred at night, and no known video of the collapse exists. But it is highly visible and occurred about 50 feet from the existing travel lanes of 295 North.

SkyPesos

For some more road openings, Cleveland's Opportunity Corridor and the remaining 4 lane section of US 35 in WV opened a few days within each other.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Quote from: hbelkins on January 12, 2022, 11:50:44 AM
Passage of the infrastructure bill.

Agree with this as *THE* biggest story of the year.

chays

The new I-74 bridge over the Mississippi River in the Quad Cities opening up.

skluth

Nationally, agree it's definitely the Infrastructure Bill. Not sure about California. It rained, which meant another landslide blocking CA 1 in both February and December. Work continued on I-10 through the San Gorgonio Pass, but that's been happening for a couple years now. Can't think of anything special in So Cal. Maybe something in Northern California.

SkyPesos

How about a best of AARoads in 2021?
- Grand Alan election
- "Illinois isn't flat"
- The while SafeSpeeder thing
- A thread named just "71"

DeaconG

Agreed on the Infrastructure Bill and the I-40 bridge in Memphis. HOT lanes coming to I-4 (and in work for the Beachline) as part of I-4 Ultimate is a major move.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.