Control cities without direct access to downtown

Started by chrismarion100, January 21, 2022, 10:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

New Orleans is the control city for I-55 south here in Jackson, but I-55 ends west of New Orleans.

Hattiesburg is the control city for I-59 north at Slidell, LA, but I-59 skirts around the west side of Hattiesburg. Downtown is at least five miles away.

I-12 misses downtown Baton Rouge.

I-40 doesn't actually touch the city of Little Rock, much less downtown.

Declan127

The only highway with NYC as it's control city that leads to downtown is I-78. Every other highway goes to/through another part of Manhattan (or not through Manhattan at all!)
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: Declan127 on January 27, 2022, 09:00:33 PM
The only highway with NYC as it's control city that leads to downtown is I-78. Every other highway goes to/through another part of Manhattan (or not through Manhattan at all!)

I'm not a local.  What section of Manhattan do the locals consider to be the City proper?  South of 110th Street?

Flint1979

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on January 27, 2022, 09:50:15 PM

I'm not a local.  What section of Manhattan do the locals consider to be the City proper?  South of 110th Street?
The city proper is all five boroughs but downtown is considered south of 14th Street.

HighwayStar

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 29, 2022, 08:09:31 PM
Quote from: Occidental Tourist on January 27, 2022, 09:50:15 PM

The city proper is all five boroughs but downtown is considered south of 14th Street.
Depends on who you ask, some people say "the city" to refer only to Manhattan, the other boroughs are not relevant.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

MATraveler128

I-295 in Maine uses Augusta going north, but it ends in Gardiner.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

DTComposer

Quote from: TheStranger on January 23, 2022, 06:01:33 AM
here are California examples that come to mind...

I-5: Los Angeles (requires I-10 or US 101 from the south, or Route 170/US 101 or Route 110 from the north, Redding (requires either Route 273, Route 299 or Route 44)

Also San Francisco for I-5
:)

JKRhodes

US 70 West, Arizona. Plenty of signs give 100+ mile distances to phoenix. Route terminates in Globe, and the remaining 88 miles are traveled via US 60.

Hobart

Interstate 294 enters neither Indiana nor Wisconsin despite having those states for its control "cities". It doesn't technically count because states aren't cities, but I think it's close enough to mention.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.