News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Disney World replacing purple signs

Started by Big John, January 28, 2022, 11:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

It takes a pretty colossal amount of hubris on Disney's part to come to the conclusion that consistency with Disney branding is more important than following traffic standards that have 80 years of engineering knowledge written into them.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

The destinations wouldn't be allowed on normal MUTCD big green signs. So in that respect, the blueish color used, for "Attractions", would actually be more appropriate

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 04, 2022, 11:05:12 PM
It takes a pretty colossal amount of hubris on Disney's part to come to the conclusion that consistency with Disney branding is more important than following traffic standards that have 80 years of engineering knowledge written into them.

That may be true if signage standards didn't change for 80 years. But being the guidence has been revised and updated, the engineering knowledge has not been perfect over those 80 years.

Disney also uses engineers, so it would be interesting to understand their studies and opinions as to how they come up with the standards for their signage.

US 89

I actually really like the new Disney signs. The color scheme is quite visually pleasing while not overly detracting from the sign content.

UCFKnights

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 04, 2022, 11:43:46 PM
The destinations wouldn't be allowed on normal MUTCD big green signs. So in that respect, the blueish color used, for "Attractions", would actually be more appropriate
Why not? Here's many of the same destinations on I-4 BGS: https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3720535,-81.5098101,3a,75y,208.96h,86.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPmi-JztzgGNGqiYcwWBhaw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Halian

Quote from: jakeroot on December 04, 2022, 11:00:46 PM
Quote from: Halian on December 03, 2022, 03:49:28 PMI'm very not a fan of the new signs, in part because they don't look like road signs to me, but instead like part of an app.
I don't think they were going with an "app"  look, but no doubt they were going for something that was different than regular road signs. Signage design is as much a part of urban design as anything else, and not being tied down by the FHWA, they do have a bit of freedom to design signs that actually look like they belong in a Disney park.
And the purple ones didn't? o_o
HalDOT, featuring my Hoennverse and Safir Alliance worldbuilding projects

jeffandnicole

Quote from: UCFKnights on December 04, 2022, 11:54:58 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 04, 2022, 11:43:46 PM
Why not? Here's many of the same destinations on I-4 BGS: https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3720535,-81.5098101,3a,75y,208.96h,86.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPmi-JztzgGNGqiYcwWBhaw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Just because the sign was designed that way doesn't mean is should have been designed that way.

It's questionable if anything here is actually permitted within the MUTCD, hence what 80 years of engineering knowledge gets.  It also shows that the MUTCD, as much as it tries to standardize traffic control devices across the US, is only a manual and not a Bible, and sometimes doesn't do well with exceptions.

Business names generally aren't allowed on signage.  A strong argument can be made that 'Disney' in of itself is a 'traffic generator', which is permitted, and an exception may be appropriate here.  However, as the Disney empire has expanded, it makes posting everything properly a chore.  Using brown or blue signage may be the more appropriate for the signs that show specific theme parks.

There's also two signs for Exit 67, an 'Exit Only' arrow not pointing over a lane, and lack of any distance notification.

1995hoo

Quote from: flaroads on January 30, 2022, 05:04:16 PM
Drove Osceola Parkway west yesterday morning and photographed the new guide signs:

Recognizing this doesn't directly relate to signage standards and the like, what I find interesting is that they used all-caps for EPCOT. I was under the impression that they'd started writing it as "Epcot" instead and that they had moved away from its origin as an acronym.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JoePCool14

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 05, 2022, 09:07:45 AM
Drove Osceola Parkway west yesterday morning and photographed the new guide signs:

Recognizing this doesn't directly relate to signage standards and the like, what I find interesting is that they used all-caps for EPCOT. I was under the impression that they'd started writing it as "Epcot" instead and that they had moved away from its origin as an acronym.

I just noticed the original posts on this thread are almost a year old. Interesting. Anyways...

Forget the new "BDBS" (big dark blue signs), the RAMP 25 MPH sign on the right is using some funky font that I can't tell even from this photo looks bad.

The big signs look ok, but I never like seeing the typical down arrows rotated to a different angle.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Halian

Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 05, 2022, 10:45:38 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 05, 2022, 09:07:45 AM

I just noticed the original posts on this thread are almost a year old. Interesting. Anyways...

Forget the new "BDBS" (big dark blue signs), the RAMP 25 MPH sign on the right is using some funky font that I can't tell even from this photo looks bad.

The big signs look ok, but I never like seeing the typical down arrows rotated to a different angle.
That sign is a holdover from the glory days of purple signs, IINM.
HalDOT, featuring my Hoennverse and Safir Alliance worldbuilding projects

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.