Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

CA 187

(1/3) > >>

Max Rockatansky:
Put something together for CA 187:

"California State Route 187 is a five-mile State Highway aligned Venice Boulevard located almost entirely within the city of Los Angeles.  California State Route 187 begins at Interstate 10 Exit 7A and terminates at California State Route 1.  California State Route 187 contains a deleted segment which once also included what is now Moomat Ahiko Way as part of the grade separation of Colorado Avenue in Santa Monica near Santa Monica Pier."

https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/05/california-state-route-187.html

Notably CA 187 seemingly has been entirely deleted from the Caltrans Postmile Tool.  I would expect in the near future to see some sort of legislative deletion of CA 187.

M3100:
When I drove this route for the thread I posted, at the foot of the I-10 offramp there was a place where a shield "used to be" on one of the poles at the Culver Blvd. intersection.  There was a green "West" sign and a left-pointing arrow sign, but the 187 shield was gone.

I see now that this route has been deleted from the TravelMapping site; one more "clinched" route gone.

Max Rockatansky:
That might be jumping the gun from the perspective of Travel Mapping.  CA 187 is still legislatively defined and still has some signage in field.  None of 187 is “state maintained” but for the moment it still technically exists until the legislature does something to change that.

Personally it never really has concerned me personally if a highway was active or not.  Pretty much anything that was a signed highway at some likely will draw some interest from me, especially if it can be replicated.  But that’s probably unsurprising to anyone who has seen how many old highway alignment blogs I do. 

oscar:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 21, 2022, 08:53:58 PM ---That might be jumping the gun from the perspective of Travel Mapping.  CA 187 is still legislatively defined and still has some signage in field.  None of 187 is “state maintained” but for the moment it still technically exists until the legislature does something to change that.
--- End quote ---

The legislature authorized relinquishment of the entire route, without any of the conditions (such as for continuation signage and traffic signal progression) typical for part-route relinquishments. The Postmile Query Tool confirms that, at long last, the relinquishment Caltrans agreed to several years ago has been carried out. That, as far as I am concerned (as TM's team member covering California routes), is enough to treat CA 187 as a former route, even if there is some remnant signage.

At some point, the legislature will probably delete route 187 from the Streets and Highways Code. I don't think we need to wait that long.

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: oscar on May 21, 2022, 09:23:22 PM ---
--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 21, 2022, 08:53:58 PM ---That might be jumping the gun from the perspective of Travel Mapping.  CA 187 is still legislatively defined and still has some signage in field.  None of 187 is “state maintained” but for the moment it still technically exists until the legislature does something to change that.
--- End quote ---

The legislature authorized relinquishment of the entire route, without any of the conditions (such as for continuation signage and traffic signal progression) typical for part-route relinquishments. The Postmile Query Tool confirms that, at long last, the relinquishment Caltrans agreed to several years ago has been carried out. That, as far as I am concerned (as TM's team member covering California routes), is enough to treat CA 187 as a former route, even if there is some remnant signage.

At some point, the legislature will probably delete route 187 from the Streets and Highways Code. I don't think we need to wait that long.

--- End quote ---

What’s weird about the relinquishment agreement is that it went to the legislature first then the California Transportation Commission.  Usually it’s done the opposite way and the routing is deleted by the legislature during the second step.  I wonder now given this hasn’t been noticed in half a decade if this will be one of these lingering highway oddities that remains alive on paper.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version