National Boards > Traffic Control

Have any of you seen a traffic light go out (or come back on) in front of you?

(1/6) > >>

KCRoadFan:
On a drive I took this morning in Johnson County, Kansas, I was eastbound on Shawnee Mission Parkway at the I-35 interchange, and the traffic light at the northbound on-ramp went to flashing red before returning to normal a few seconds later. What's more, within the next minute as I waited to turn left, the light went out and then came back on again.

Have any of you seen a traffic light go out as you were approaching it - or, better yet, come up to a non-working signal and seen it come back to life? If so, when and where did it happen? I'm curious to know!

Rothman:
Yep.  Not sure of the actual intersections, but have seen a signal conk out on two separate occasions.  Signal glitched and then went to flashing in both occasions, both as I was at the stop line in western MA.

Haven't seen one "come back to life."

jeffandnicole:
My experiences are the opposite of Rothman. Seen a few come back to life, haven't seen any go to flash mode (or off completely).

Dirt Roads:
Yikes!  I had an incident somewhere here in Central Carolina back maybe 20 years ago or so.  I was approaching a stoplight on a rural highway with a green signal at about 45 MPH when the power went off.  I was about 100 feet from the intersection and slowing down quickly when the power came back on.  Instead of the traffic signal going into a default flash mode, the traffic signal came back up red in my direction and the car on my right pulled out before I could stop.  I slammed on the brakes and did an avoidance maneuver to stop partway into the intersection.  I had to back up to let traffic to my left proceed when they got the green ball.  I couldn't be sure if the car on my right got a green ball immediately, but he sure acted like it.

KCRoadFan:

--- Quote from: Dirt Roads on May 30, 2022, 02:31:49 PM ---Yikes!  I had an incident somewhere here in Central Carolina back maybe 20 years ago or so.  I was approaching a stoplight on a rural highway with a green signal at about 45 MPH when the power went off.  I was about 100 feet from the intersection and slowing down quickly when the power came back on.  Instead of the traffic signal going into a default flash mode, the traffic signal came back up red in my direction and the car on my right pulled out before I could stop.  I slammed on the brakes and did an avoidance maneuver to stop partway into the intersection.  I had to back up to let traffic to my left proceed when they got the green ball.  I couldn't be sure if the car on my right got a green ball immediately, but he sure acted like it.

--- End quote ---

Well, for me, my left-turn light was about to turn green when the signal went out again. I began turning left anyway, and the light came back on again - at which point I was facing a red light and the oncoming traffic had green. I backed up a little to let the oncoming traffic pass, and eventually I got the green left-turn arrow, at which point I finally completed the turn. A crazy sequence, indeed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version