National Boards > Traffic Control

Have any of you seen a traffic light go out (or come back on) in front of you?

<< < (3/6) > >>

roadfro:

--- Quote from: ilpt4u on May 30, 2022, 08:33:59 PM ---I went thru one on Rt 13 in Carbondale when it when it was switching from Blinking Red/No Power mode to “Normal” phazed operations (or vice versa): Literally had the Blinking Red and the Solid Green Ball on at the same time, the direction I was traveling. I went thru without stopping. And I still am not sure what the Rules of the Road suggest to do in that scenario

--- End quote ---

Rules of the Road have nothing to suggest for you...that scenario should never happen. Even if transitioning from a red flash to stop-and-go, red and green should never be displayed simultaneously in the same signal face (5-section PPLT heads notwithstanding).

The transition out of flashing mode should go to steady red and then greens for the major street/movement (assuming it's an all-way red flash) or the flashing yellows go to green for the major movement and the flashing red go to steady red (assuming yellow/red flash). The flashing red with a simultaneous steady green makes me think there was some kind of fault or issue with the signal (or, if that's a regular occurrence, it's older, non-compliant signal programming).

ilpt4u:

--- Quote from: roadfro on May 30, 2022, 11:50:19 PM ---
--- Quote from: ilpt4u on May 30, 2022, 08:33:59 PM ---I went thru one on Rt 13 in Carbondale when it when it was switching from Blinking Red/No Power mode to “Normal” phazed operations (or vice versa): Literally had the Blinking Red and the Solid Green Ball on at the same time, the direction I was traveling. I went thru without stopping. And I still am not sure what the Rules of the Road suggest to do in that scenario

--- End quote ---

Rules of the Road have nothing to suggest for you...that scenario should never happen. Even if transitioning from a red flash to stop-and-go, red and green should never be displayed simultaneously in the same signal face (5-section PPLT heads notwithstanding).

The transition out of flashing mode should go to steady red and then greens for the major street/movement (assuming it's an all-way red flash) or the flashing yellows go to green for the major movement and the flashing red go to steady red (assuming yellow/red flash). The flashing red with a simultaneous steady green makes me think there was some kind of fault or issue with the signal (or, if that's a regular occurrence, it's older, non-compliant signal programming).

--- End quote ---
Had never seen it before and have never seen it since at that signal. Something was malfuctioning.

And for more complete information: IL 13 at Striegel Rd on the west side of Carbondale

jp the roadgeek:
Take a ride down CT 10 at 10 pm or 6 AM, and you’ll see most of the lights either start flashing yellow (after a red cycle at precisely 10:00) or start working.

US 89:

--- Quote from: roadfro on May 30, 2022, 11:50:19 PM ---Rules of the Road have nothing to suggest for you...that scenario should never happen. Even if transitioning from a red flash to stop-and-go, red and green should never be displayed simultaneously in the same signal face (5-section PPLT heads notwithstanding).

--- End quote ---

Does that apply to ramp meters too? I know Utah has/had some red/green (no yellow) meters that activated from dark mode by initially turning both the red and green lights on for several seconds. Took me a minute to figure out what was going on the first time I saw it.

roadfro:

--- Quote from: US 89 on May 31, 2022, 01:40:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: roadfro on May 30, 2022, 11:50:19 PM ---Rules of the Road have nothing to suggest for you...that scenario should never happen. Even if transitioning from a red flash to stop-and-go, red and green should never be displayed simultaneously in the same signal face (5-section PPLT heads notwithstanding).

--- End quote ---

Does that apply to ramp meters too? I know Utah has/had some red/green (no yellow) meters that activated from dark mode by initially turning both the red and green lights on for several seconds. Took me a minute to figure out what was going on the first time I saw it.

--- End quote ---

The MUTCD chapter on ramp meters is surprisingly vague on ramp meter operation, including transitions into and out of metering status.

Meters are supposed to follow rules for signals except where otherwise stated in the ramp meter chapter. So from that perspective, the operation you describe probably shouldn't be allowed... However, I don't know how you would activate a two-section ramp meter display from inactive/dark other than displaying just the green that wouldn't cause an immediate panic.

Nevada also uses the two-section ramp meter heads. Interestingly, I've never seen a ramp meter turn on from inactive, so I don't know what the startup routine for ours looks like...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version