National Boards > Traffic Control

Have any of you seen a traffic light go out (or come back on) in front of you?

<< < (2/6) > >>

tdindy88:
Does it count if it's a normal occurrence? Since I work at nights and am up at nights even on my days off I find myself driving around when several nearby intersections switch to a flash mode each evening after 11pm or midnight. I've seen the last full cycle of lights at an intersection before they start flashing for the night, it's a bit strange but I've become used to it. Likewise I've seen the same intersections return to a normal light pattern at 6am.

jay8g:
I once saw one that had been completely out come back on, and it went all flashing red for a while, then all solid red, then back into service -- which seems much more reasonable than what other people on here have mentioned! (I was on foot at the time, so I was able to watch it for a while to see exactly what happened. If I'm remembering correctly, there was actually someone on site working on it at the time, but I certainly would have hoped that they would behave more like this when coming back online after a power outage too!)

KCRoadFan:
What’s your experience with traffic lights and power outages? Do they come right back on when power is restored, or do the techs have to restart them?

ilpt4u:
I went thru one on Rt 13 in Carbondale when it when it was switching from Blinking Red/No Power mode to “Normal” phazed operations (or vice versa): Literally had the Blinking Red and the Solid Green Ball on at the same time, the direction I was traveling. I went thru without stopping. And I still am not sure what the Rules of the Road suggest to do in that scenario

And this is not a light that gives “Blinking Red” during the Overnight hours to Rt 13 traffic. It does go “Blinking Yellow” I think/Blinking Red for cross traffic. Only goes “Blinking Red” with a Power Outage or other failure of the normal operations

JoePCool14:

--- Quote from: jay8g on May 30, 2022, 05:56:55 PM ---I once saw one that had been completely out come back on, and it went all flashing red for a while, then all solid red, then back into service -- which seems much more reasonable than what other people on here have mentioned! (I was on foot at the time, so I was able to watch it for a while to see exactly what happened. If I'm remembering correctly, there was actually someone on site working on it at the time, but I certainly would have hoped that they would behave more like this when coming back online after a power outage too!)

--- End quote ---

Signals should always be programmed to start in an all-red mode to prevent some of the problems described upthread. Anyone not paying attention and missing a malfunction, followed by a green light, could cause a lot of trouble.

For the record, I don't believe I have seen a light transition that I can remember.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version