News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Exits that give off creepy vibes

Started by CapeCodder, June 08, 2022, 11:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeCodder

Searched beforehand and couldn't find a general topic about this.

I'd nominate any of the I70 exits in STL City itself. One stretch in particular always gave off this "there's been some bad shit here" vibe; The stretch between from the O'Fallon Park to Adelaide.

Another area interchange: I44 & I55. Witnessed a car slide off the ramp from 55 NB to 44 WB late one stormy evening (brought down a pole, but everyone was all right.)

An exit closer to home: Chase Road at Mid-Cape Highway (former exit 4.) It's in a heavily wooded area and poorly lit (non-existent lighting all together.)

Max Rockatansky

I-10 Exit 3 onto Summit Road in New Mexico which leads to the Steins.  The underpass is a weird single lane and there was a whole murder story with the ghost town site owner.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

As Chicago's Lower Wacker Drive begins to approach the point where it spills out onto the westbound Eisenhower, I always get the strange feeling that it isn't actually going to lead me anywhere.  Like I'm just going to end up in some underground parking lot or something.  And then, where the transition really does happen, the ramp starts out by going the wrong direction (east instead of west) and enters another tunnel.  By the time I finally emerge from the darkness, it's like, Huh, it actually worked!  Every time.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

AlexandriaVA

Not sure if this is creepy, but in Northern Virginia, it's not too difficult for an inexperienced driver to wind up on the Pentagon parking lot, as it is adjacent to I-395, and VA-27. Before 9/11, I suppose it didn't matter much (in fact I recall my dad using the lot as a park-and-ride lot to go into DC on a weeknight, and using the Pentagon Metro station).

But now, the lot is permit-only. And for a while, I recall armed Humvees circling the lot. Certainly would be a surprised for a lost motorist!

Henry

Quote from: CapeCodder on June 08, 2022, 11:08:22 PM
I'd nominate any of the I70 exits in STL City itself. One stretch in particular always gave off this "there's been some bad shit here" vibe; The stretch between from the O'Fallon Park to Adelaide.
Most any freeway exit in the inner city will do that to you. The ones in Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Los Angeles, etc. are prime examples of that, mainly because they lead to the worst parts of their respective cities. And even downtown can be seedy as well, especially in the late hours of the night.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hobsini2

Quote from: kphoger on June 09, 2022, 09:50:18 AM
As Chicago's Lower Wacker Drive begins to approach the point where it spills out onto the westbound Eisenhower, I always get the strange feeling that it isn't actually going to lead me anywhere.  Like I'm just going to end up in some underground parking lot or something.  And then, where the transition really does happen, the ramp starts out by going the wrong direction (east instead of west) and enters another tunnel.  By the time I finally emerge from the darkness, it's like, Huh, it actually worked!  Every time.

Interesting. I get a similar feeling further down Lower Wacker by East Water St because it actually does lead to a parking garage.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

kphoger

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 09, 2022, 03:35:28 PM

Interesting. I get a similar feeling further down Lower Wacker by East Water St because it actually does lead to a parking garage.

That whole area has always seemed strange to me.  Even creepy, perhaps, if it seemed unusually devoid of people.  I used to walk across the area occasionally, on the way between Navy Pier or the Ohio Street Beach and the Randolph/Wabash L station.  With all the different roadway levels going on, I was never quite sure what went where.  So I would just kind of hope I didn't end up underground or on an elevated road without a sidewalk or something.
Male pronouns, please.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

hobsini2

Quote from: kphoger on June 09, 2022, 03:42:32 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on June 09, 2022, 03:35:28 PM

That whole area has always seemed strange to me.  Even creepy, perhaps, if it seemed unusually devoid of people.  I used to walk across the area occasionally, on the way between Navy Pier or the Ohio Street Beach and the Randolph/Wabash L station.  With all the different roadway levels going on, I was never quite sure what went where.  So I would just kind of hope I didn't end up underground or on an elevated road without a sidewalk or something.

My youth group used to go down every Christmas morning to feed and clothe the homeless down there. Some fascinating stories for another time.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

skluth

Quote from: CapeCodder on June 08, 2022, 11:08:22 PM
Searched beforehand and couldn't find a general topic about this.

Over 30 years ago, my then-partner had a flat tire as he was on the way home from work in East St Louis. (He ran a pharmacy in the city. He was quite safe as the local gangs had family who got their prescriptions there and if anyone messed with him the gangs would protect him. Life in the Inner City.) He pulled off the freeway at the Tudor Av exit right in the heart of the ESL ghetto. Rather than call the auto club, he called me. He had a spare and jack, but unfortunately his jack would have destroyed the fender of the Camaro so I ended up calling the auto club anyway. I was lucky that it was winter and about -10F, so nobody was hanging out by the convenience store pay phone.

But as Henry said, many urban exits are pretty creepy looking. And they're often at least as creepy as they look.

abefroman329

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on June 09, 2022, 09:51:00 AMNot sure if this is creepy, but in Northern Virginia, it's not too difficult for an inexperienced driver to wind up on the Pentagon parking lot, as it is adjacent to I-395, and VA-27. Before 9/11, I suppose it didn't matter much (in fact I recall my dad using the lot as a park-and-ride lot to go into DC on a weeknight, and using the Pentagon Metro station).
In the early 2000s, the Post did an article about the high number of DUIs issued near the Pentagon, since it was very easy to get into the Pentagon parking lot, but very hard to find your way out if you weren't intimately familiar with it - as well as the fact that those charged with DUI had their case heard at the Eastern District of Virginia, since the Pentagon is federal property.

interstate73

When I was a kid my Dad told me "the legend of 27B", that anyone who took exit 27B on I-80 in New Jersey disappeared and was never seen or heard from again. To this day I still feel my heart rate increase if I have to take that exit, so I'd say it's a pretty creepy vibe for me personally  :-D
🎶 Man, there’s an opera on the Turnpike 🎶

Morris County if the Route 178 Freeway had been built:

webny99

Quote from: interstate73 on June 09, 2022, 06:32:24 PM
When I was a kid my Dad told me "the legend of 27B", that anyone who took exit 27B on I-80 in New Jersey disappeared and was never seen or heard from again. To this day I still feel my heart rate increase if I have to take that exit, so I'd say it's a pretty creepy vibe for me personally  :-D

Exit 27B for NJ 183 in Netcong? Or a different exit before they were renumbered?

Flint1979

I'd say maybe the 5th and 6th Street exit off of i-675 in Saginaw. The entire area is pretty abandoned and run down.

Avalanchez71

I-40 in Only, TN at Exit 152 at night.  There is a creepy adult bookstore there, a rundown motel and the road looks like it winds into nowhere at night.

interstate73

Quote from: webny99 on June 09, 2022, 06:40:16 PM
Quote from: interstate73 on June 09, 2022, 06:32:24 PM

Exit 27B for NJ 183 in Netcong? Or a different exit before they were renumbered?

Indeed that's the one!
🎶 Man, there’s an opera on the Turnpike 🎶

Morris County if the Route 178 Freeway had been built:

ftballfan

I-75 exit 122 in Michigan. The I-75/Pierson Rd area has fallen so hard that Meijer left that area for I-69/Morrish Rd a few years ago! Also several other chains have left that exit in recent years, namely Applebee's, Bob Evans, Burger King, KFC, and Denny's.

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on June 14, 2022, 09:33:38 PM
I-75 exit 122 in Michigan. The I-75/Pierson Rd area has fallen so hard that Meijer left that area for I-69/Morrish Rd a few years ago! Also several other chains have left that exit in recent years, namely Applebee's, Bob Evans, Burger King, KFC, and Denny's.
That exit used to be a lot better but it's rather run down and abandoned now. The Cracker Barrel still does alright from what I see it's usually got cars in it's lot there when I go by. I've stopped at the Big John Steak & Onion at Pierson and Linden and it's alright in there. It looks kind of creepy where the Meijer used to be it's just a big empty lot. The one in Swartz Creek opened around the same time the one on Pierson closed so that was it's replacement.

A few years ago (a few years pre-covid so probably 5 or so years ago) I was sitting in my car at the McDonald's parking lot at that exit and a car pulled up two spots from me and I had my window down I heard the guy say I'm trying to make it back to Tawas and am about to run out of gas I said well I can't really help you and then he asked me what city is this? I said it's Flint, Michigan and to be honest this isn't really the best of areas so my best advice for you if you are trying to get to Tawas is to get back on I-75 and get outta here. He actually took my advice and got back on the highway. I followed him up two exits to Mount Morris Road where he stopped at the Beacon & Bridge and I told him I'd put $10 in his gas tank for him which I did so if anything it just cost me $10. He told me he was coming from UofM in Ann Arbor.

The same thing 27 miles north at exit 149 which is the M-46/Holland Road exit. There is a big Nexteer plant there, used to be Saginaw Steering Gear, part of General Motors. At one time there were over 10,000 people working there now there are about 2,000. The exit has taken a turn for the worse. Fort Saginaw Mall was demolished over a decade ago and still lingering on are two abandoned hotels, a Red Roof Inn, Speedway, BP, McDonald's, Popeyes, an abandoned Burger King which I think is something else now but I've never seen them open, Taco Bell, Arby's, Big John Steak & Onion. There used to be a Wendy's on Outer Drive years ago. The entire exit though is in pretty bad shape, MDOT just rebuilt the exit so there is nothing wrong with the design or pavement quality but the crime around there is bad and the two abandoned hotels are front and center right when you drive west of the highway. The old Ramada Inn, Rodeway Inn and whatever the hell it was called at the end is in the worst of shape. I would certainly qualify that as creepy vibes.

CapeCodder

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 10, 2022, 12:22:15 AM
I-40 in Only, TN at Exit 152 at night.  There is a creepy adult bookstore there, a rundown motel and the road looks like it winds into nowhere at night.
Those type of exits have a foreboding aura. Plus there's a prison nearby.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: CapeCodder on June 15, 2022, 08:24:12 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 10, 2022, 12:22:15 AM
Those type of exits have a foreboding aura. Plus there's a prison nearby.
Oh that is correct.  I forgot to mention the nearby prison.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 08, 2022, 11:32:23 PM
I-10 Exit 3 onto Summit Road in New Mexico which leads to the Steins.  The underpass is a weird single lane and there was a whole murder story with the ghost town site owner.

Hahaha!!  I love that exit.  Made a special detour there to check out the ghost town once. 

Avalanchez71

How about Exit 0 on I-40 in TX.  There is a I-40 Business Loop sign but no longer any open businesses.  A business loop for a ghost town that doesn't even official loop back to I-40.

Ned Weasel

I've been told that Exit 347 off I-70 in Kansas is one of the Gateways to Hell, but I don't know where to find it once you get off the freeway.

https://goo.gl/maps/WzgvaVyzJuRjP6Cx9

Don't other states have these, too?  I think somebody once said that about one of the exits off the New Jersey Turnpike, but I don't remember which one.  Have Gateways to Hell popped up in all 50 states yet?  And do they have barbecue-flavored potato chips?  For some reason, I've always associated the scent and flavor of barbecue potato chips with the ambience of Hell.  But I could be wrong.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Ted$8roadFan

There's the bow-tie exit between US 9 and the Mid-Hudson Bridge in Poughkeepsie, NY.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.