National Boards > Traffic Control

Do you think that 12 ft 4 bridge needs to be turned into a RXR Crossing

(1/10) > >>

Lukeisroads:
This bridge is dangerous to more than 1000 trucks and buses in nc PLEASE HELP THIS BRIDGE GET INTO A RXR CROSSING

Hobart:
They could also drive an extra 2,000 feet and use the Buchanan crossing instead.

If it's that big of a deal, they can also get rid of the one-way street setup between Gregson and Duke so trucks can use Duke's railroad crossing.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.001981,-78.9132744,3a,75y,208.13h,97.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smQuYY58yIdb235-UFqUhSA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

There are more economical ways to do this than build a railroad crossing and fill in an underpass, like having trucks use a perfectly reasonable alternate route.

It's not the bridge's fault. It's the fault of careless and impatient truckers and bus drivers.

Dirt Roads:
It's not my rant, but its worth repeating here.  (I'd better be careful here, as the main source is now a high ranking official).  Officially, the State of North Carolina laments that the state had grade separated so many crossings in the 1940s and 1950s.  These roads are now quite substandard, not just in clearance height, but also many of these underpasses have substandard clearance widths with narrow lanes.  In most cases, the "main roads" were removed from these underpasses many years ago.  This complicates the issue of trying to close a nearby grade crossing, since the local experience with underpasses is that they will be underbuilt and insufficient for future roadway widening.

The Gregson Street underpass is just one of many of these.  It's northbound one-way pairing (Duke Street) just happens to be a grade crossing (oops, I'm supposed to say "railroad crossing at grade").

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: Lukeisroads on June 10, 2022, 09:48:47 PM ---This bridge is dangerous to more than 1000 trucks and buses in nc PLEASE HELP THIS BRIDGE GET INTO A RXR CROSSING

--- End quote ---

Why would I be compelled to what happens in North Carolina with the can opener?  Itís not like there isnít copious signage indicating a height hazard. 

Duke87:
So you'd rather vehicles get hit by trains instead, since a level crossing would enable that. Well, if it were even a practical option, which it isn't.

Anyway if you don't know how to read overhead clearance signs you either shouldn't be driving a truck or deserve to get the top of it ripped off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version