National Boards > General Highway Talk

How much will Biden's new Gas Tax Suspension affect Road Construction?

(1/10) > >>

tsmatt13:
Recently, Biden has called for a three-month suspension of the federal gas tax, in hopes of giving families relief as the summer season approaches. However, this would slow down road construction as well, since it is an important source of funding. He proposed for other sources to continue providing funds for road construction to combat this, but how effective will it be?

While it is just for three months it would be interesting to see how much this affects the road network.

Link to article:https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/22/politics/gas-tax-suspension-biden/index.html

thspfc:
Itís not going to happen. Bidenís supporters are already angry about the lack of governmental services the US provides compared to other nations. Dropping a major tax, even temporarily, will make that worse.

mgk920:

--- Quote from: thspfc on June 23, 2022, 07:49:49 AM ---It’s not going to happen. Biden’s supporters are already angry about the lack of governmental services the US provides compared to other nations. Dropping a major tax, even temporarily, will make that worse.

--- End quote ---

This strikes me as 100% gimmickry, just like the 'bug' lockdowns of a year or two ago were.  If you really want fuel tax 'relief', then repeal ALL of the special fuel taxes and put all transport infrastructure spending on the federal and respective state 'feneral fund' budgets.

As for bringing fuel prices back down to more respectable levels, just undo all of the federal executive orders of 2021-01-20 and 2021-01-21.

Mike

Rothman:

--- Quote from: mgk920 on June 23, 2022, 08:00:31 AM ---
--- Quote from: thspfc on June 23, 2022, 07:49:49 AM ---Itís not going to happen. Bidenís supporters are already angry about the lack of governmental services the US provides compared to other nations. Dropping a major tax, even temporarily, will make that worse.

--- End quote ---

This strikes me as 100% gimmickry, just like the 'bug' lockdowns of a year or two ago were.  If you really want fuel tax 'relief', then repeal ALL of the special fuel taxes and put all transport infrastructure spending on the federal and respective state 'feneral fund' budgets.

As for bringing fuel prices back down to more respectable levels, just undo all of the federal executive orders of 2021-01-20 and 2021-01-21.

Mike

--- End quote ---

Although I can agree that this tax relief is minimal, the ideas the COVID lockdowns were just gimmicks and the executive orders mentioned, if repealed, would have a bigger effect on gas prices are more based upon fantasy than reality.

To answer the question in the title, I'd have to say there won't be an effect.  People forget how easily the government borrows...

SEWIGuy:
Yeah comparing a gas tax holiday to Covid lockdowns has me ROFL.

I would guess that a federal gas tax holiday would probably reduce prices about a dime.  Big deal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version