News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Vertical or horizontal traffic lights?

Started by tsmatt13, July 01, 2022, 09:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsmatt13

I've noticed in NJ that a few places, especially cities on the shore such as Atlantic City and Wildwood, have horizontal traffic lights as well as vertical traffic lights. Which traffic light orientation does your state use the most?

I found this strange example where some of the lights are vertical and some are horizontal in AC:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.359028,-74.4405244,3a,75y,39.44h,88.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stJpXqrhAsnN2SGCfWO6RZA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Interstates & freeways clinched: 16, 78, 87 (NY), 97, 287, 295 (NJ/PA/DE), 676, ACE, GSP

KMOX4

kphoger

Related threads:

Horizontal Traffic Lights
Horizontal/Vertical Stoplights (in the Southeast regional board)
Vertical and horizontal traffic signals in the same city

As for the topic at hand, Kansas uses vertical signals.  There are a few examples of horizontal signals, but generally only under bridges or whatever.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Ned Weasel

My state uses vertical for the most part, but at least two municipalities (Lenexa and Roeland Park) use horizontal. And then there are one-off horizontal signals in Wichita and KCK that are oriented that way because of overpasses.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.