News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Bike signals

Started by Amtrakprod, July 16, 2022, 02:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

14th Avenue at Union Square East, November 25, 2019:

It's a good thing the light was green back when I took that.

fwydriver405

Quote from: Amtrakprod on July 24, 2022, 05:09:55 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on July 20, 2022, 06:37:43 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/pEmB3QquuhoCJjJH7

This is another one in Newton, MA, this at Beacon and Grant near Chestnut Hill. Since it's a 3-way intersection, Beacon St eastbound has what appears to be a semi-permanent bike green even if Beacon itself is red. GSV pic doesn't show this so you'll have to take my word for it having accessed it over its few years in operation. I presume it turns red for pedestrian crossings.
Super cool ! I think FWYDRIVER got a video of it functioning, I'd like to see it soon in person

iPhone

Yup! The EB bike signal always stays green except for the Phase 9 exclusive pedestrian phase. I mentioned this earlier in the "Bike Lanes" thread below:

Quote from: fwydriver405 on October 16, 2021, 08:00:36 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on October 01, 2021, 12:26:16 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 01, 2021, 12:11:18 PM
One thing I don't like is where a crosswalk crosses a bike lane at a T-intersection (this example is outside the US Treasury in DC). Legally, the cyclists must stop when the light goes red so that the pedestrians can cross the street with the "Walk" sign. Take a guess how often the cyclists actually stop. It's a wonder there aren't more collisions and injuries through this area.
There's a similar situation near me here. Note that the bike lane is the striped red/gray part. There's even a sign asking for cyclists to yield to crossing pedestrians, though from what I've observed, not a lot of people follow that.

At Beacon St and Grant Rd in Newton, MA, the eastbound thru bikes are treated like a Continuous Green T. The bike signal in the eastbound direction has an overlap with all phases (2, 4, 5, 6) except with Phase 9 (ex. ped) and only changes to red when Phase 9 (ex. ped) is active:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ew8M-Pskr8

mrsman

I wonder if anybody else has an issue with the placement of the bike signal.  Since they are the same size and same spec as regular signals, except for the bike cutouts over the orbs, they could get confused for driving signals.

Here's 9th Av and 42nd in NYC.  The left turn arrow and bike signal are right next to each other.  It could be confusing for either the bike or the left turner, if they focus on the wrong signal head.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7585639,-73.9924381,3a,15y,209.02h,92.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stPlMAMn4iDGSsvikmDSM6g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

For similar reasons of confusion, there are unique singal heads for light rail vehicles (and in some areas for buses as well) at intersections that are very disctinct and don't use the RYG colors at all.

Pedestrain signals are also distinct, with distinct symbols and are often situated in a way to make them somewhat (but not totally) obscure from drivers.  Perhaps bike signals need a more distinct look as well, to avoid confusion.

Jet380

Quote from: mrsman on August 03, 2022, 06:29:24 PM
Pedestrain signals are also distinct, with distinct symbols and are often situated in a way to make them somewhat (but not totally) obscure from drivers.  Perhaps bike signals need a more distinct look as well, to avoid confusion.

Some cities in Australia fit the bike signals with square visors, which gives them an unusual look distinguishing them from vehicle signals. See this example in Sydney:

https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.8675223,151.2084193,3a,15y,186.35h,95.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sv05PNwx65jL2J8qIrYxGiQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e3

But in Perth they go in the opposite direction, integrating them with the vehicular signals and leading to at least one very wacky layout:

https://www.google.com/maps/@-31.9546329,115.8602644,3a,75y,2.48h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1swTtFB4pClWnAgs6M2I_4Iw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DwTtFB4pClWnAgs6M2I_4Iw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D249.15239%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e3
https://www.google.com/maps/@-31.9569983,115.8590463,3a,15.1y,18.34h,92.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOoqj45cexTHeOC1vh_pKcg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e3

Are there any places in the USA that use the square visor design to distinguish bike signals?

ErmineNotyours

Sign near the first bike signal I ever saw, after hearing about another one that was converted to a regular signal before I could get to it.  I saw the red phase and I wanted to see the green phase, but no bicyclist ever followed the instructions on the sign to change the signal while I was waiting.  September 2007, Portland, Oregon.

Google Street View shows the signal with a countdown to green timer.

jakeroot

Quote from: Jet380 on August 04, 2022, 09:46:01 PM
Are there any places in the USA that use the square visor design to distinguish bike signals?

I've only seen square visors on 3M programmable-visibility signals.

Amtrakprod

Portland uses yellow bicycle signals !

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

I've also seen yellow bike signals in Redmond, WA:

https://goo.gl/maps/E33SjYQDQ9g2Lnuk8

roadfro

I like the idea of using different colored backplates and signal housing to differentiate bike signals from vehicular signals.

Maybe the backplates should be a green color (or use a green reflective border), to match the pavement color used to highlight bike lanes...?
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

7/8

Quote from: jakeroot on August 11, 2022, 11:51:26 AM
I've also seen yellow bike signals in Redmond, WA:

https://goo.gl/maps/E33SjYQDQ9g2Lnuk8

Meanwhile it's the exact opposite in Waterloo, ON:
Bridgeport Rd
Erb St

mrsman

Quote from: roadfro on August 11, 2022, 12:18:33 PM
I like the idea of using different colored backplates and signal housing to differentiate bike signals from vehicular signals.

Maybe the backplates should be a green color (or use a green reflective border), to match the pavement color used to highlight bike lanes...?

Not a bad idea.  I also like green.  They shouldn't use yellow, as yellow is more and more being used to highlight regular signal heads.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: mrsman on August 11, 2022, 01:23:11 PM

Not a bad idea.  I also like green.  They shouldn't use yellow, as yellow is more and more being used to highlight regular signal heads.
All that matters is that the backplate should be different from the other ones, IMO. Portland's choice for yellow I think is a good one.
It looks like they will do the same for their bus signals

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

mrsman

Quote from: Amtrakprod on August 12, 2022, 03:17:49 PM
Quote from: mrsman on August 11, 2022, 01:23:11 PM

All that matters is that the backplate should be different from the other ones, IMO. Portland's choice for yellow I think is a good one.
It looks like they will do the same for their bus signals

iPhone

Long Beach CA used to do this as well.  From this vantage point, you see bike signals that are very clearly labeled as such with yellow backplates and the words "bike signal" written on the backplates.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7704727,-118.19792,3a,37.5y,259.52h,88.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYFN_bP4kl50xl4ncNwnhEw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Oddly enough, a few years later they moved the proteced bike lane from the left side to the right side of the street and got rid of the bike signals.

Here are a few pics of some "cross walk" backplates that used to exist at the signalized crosswalks in Los Angeles.  These were the lights that flashed red during the pedestrian phase, and in my opinion, are far superior to HAWKs.  These signals still exist in L.A. in the Downtown area, along Fairfax Ave, and at certain other locations where there are lots of pedestrians and high demand for mid-block crossing, but they use regular black backplates now.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66626591@N08/22291658478/in/photostream/

Jet380

Great idea, then you can say that if you use the bike lane, you'll always have a green light!  :-D

jamess

This is under construction in Cambridge, MA.

The picture is confusing, but Im happy to note the bottom signal is at the height that bike signals should be.

https://twitter.com/PetruSofio/status/1560047458486558722

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jamess on August 18, 2022, 10:20:00 AM
This is under construction in Cambridge, MA.

The picture is confusing, but Im happy to note the bottom signal is at the height that bike signals should be.

https://twitter.com/PetruSofio/status/1560047458486558722
Oh actually it's not, (that's my Twitter !).
The bike signals here are too tall, but will be lowered next week. Contractor didn't know what height to put them at.
Next issue to fix will be this double bike signal

iPhone

jakeroot

Quote from: Amtrakprod on August 18, 2022, 12:01:14 PM

What kind of turn signals are they using for bike signals?

Seems like they could do stuff like this:

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on August 18, 2022, 04:43:59 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on August 18, 2022, 12:01:14 PM

What kind of turn signals are they using for bike signals?

Seems like they could do stuff like this:

Uhhh,,,, TBD . No signal manufacturer in North America (0) make a LT bicycle signal. It's a big problem.
Hopefully it won't have to be shipped in from Europe.

iPhone

jakeroot

Quote from: Amtrakprod on August 18, 2022, 06:37:49 PM
Uhhh,,,, TBD . No signal manufacturer in North America (0) make a LT bicycle signal. It's a big problem.
Hopefully it won't have to be shipped in from Europe.

It can take a while to find something that works. So, just experiment until something sticks. The left turn bike signal I posted above seems like it would work really well. Even cheaper, just a small sign below the signal that says "Left/Right Turn Bicycle Signal".

Shipping over from Europe is not without precedent. When the first mini roundabout opened in the United States, in Dimondale, MI, there was no American standard for a lit "keep right" bollard. So they shipped one over from the UK and used that one instead.

Amtrakprod

New LBI activated on Friday. FYA doghouse, bicycle signals and a lagging left turn.

iPhone

Rothman

Quote from: Amtrakprod on August 21, 2022, 05:58:19 PM

New LBI activated on Friday. FYA doghouse, bicycle signals and a lagging left turn.

iPhone
Somewhere...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: Rothman on August 21, 2022, 08:22:56 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on August 21, 2022, 05:58:19 PM

iPhone
Somewhere...
Oh yes. Beech street at Mass avenue in Cambridge, MA.

iPhone

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Amtrakprod

Quote from: roadman65 on October 31, 2022, 02:27:08 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/4whRbEQrEUUJx2e48

New York.
Thanks ! NYC has so many installations of bike signals, probably more than most entire states.

Here's a new bike signal in Cambridge, MA:
There's another one for the crossover on the other side. Two 4"  signals next to each other. I'll take photos when they're actuated.

iPhone

jamess

I dont think theres any in NJ, even with the new two-way bike paths.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.