News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What states post the most or least frequent speed limit signage?

Started by Roadgeekteen, July 24, 2022, 03:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

I can't think of examples, but what states have the most speed limit signs on more minor roads, and what states just skip them much of the time?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

The contrast of how bare bones California is with speed limit signage compared to Arizona is pretty amusing.  California usually only gives you one speed limit sign on a rural road and nothing additional for miles or if ever.  Arizona tends to nanny-post speed limits on rural roads and mountain grades.

hotdogPi

Massachusetts posts them quite a lot. Curves get white speed limit signs, not yellow ones.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

kirbykart

New York is a bit inconsistent. Usually they post "STATE SPEED LIMIT 55" signs at the beginning of the zone. On State and US roads there are sometimes some occasional signs (every few miles) reassuring you of the speed limit. On more minor roads there's just the one at the start of the zone. Sometimes they just post an "END XX MPH LIMIT" sign, and you have to know what the state speed limit is.

CoreySamson

Texas is as of late very, very bad at posting limits on freeways. You can go a couple of exits on a lot of freeways and not see them. On surface roads and highways, they are predictably there generally, however.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Great Lakes Roads

I know for the fact that Connecticut posts TOO MANY speed limit signs on their freeways!

For their freeway segments in Indiana, the speed limit signs are usually posted after the onramp, so they are generally good at signing it.

vdeane

Quote from: kirbykart on July 24, 2022, 09:27:33 AM
Sometimes they just post an "END XX MPH LIMIT" sign, and you have to know what the state speed limit is.
Or whatever speed limit where you are.  I don't recall if there are any examples like this, but if you're in a city with a city speed limit of 30, on a street with a 25 mph limit, and see "end 25 mph limit" without leaving the city, the speed limit is 30, not 55.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kirbykart

Quote from: vdeane on July 24, 2022, 08:01:45 PM
Sometimes they just post an "END XX MPH LIMIT" sign, and you have to know what the state speed limit is.
Or whatever speed limit where you are.  I don't recall if there are any examples like this, but if you're in a city with a city speed limit of 30, on a street with a 25 mph limit, and see "end 25 mph limit" without leaving the city, the speed limit is 30, not 55.
I've only ever seen these signs where a State Speed Limit 55 zone starts, that's why I referred to them in that way. I didn't know they were used in other circumstances, I think that could get pretty confusing in some places.

webny99

New York is a bit inconsistent. Usually they post "STATE SPEED LIMIT 55" signs at the beginning of the zone. On State and US roads there are sometimes some occasional signs (every few miles) reassuring you of the speed limit. On more minor roads there's just the one at the start of the zone. Sometimes they just post an "END XX MPH LIMIT" sign, and you have to know what the state speed limit is.

However, I think NY is generally pretty good about posting the speed limit frequently if it's not the state default of 55 mph. In fact, that's an easy way to tell on rural roads: if you haven't seen a sign in over a mile, chances are it's 55 mph.

jeffandnicole

NJDOT generally will post the speed limit on limited access highways just after every interchange.  On non-limited access highways, the limit is often, but not always, posted after major intersections.  On some roads, there can be quite a distance before a speed limit sign appears.  County roads are a bit better in this regard. 

NJDOT isn't all that great in replacing signs either, so if there's a speed limit change, it may not be apparent.  Amazingly, this works both ways - if a lower limit sign goes missing, it's not replaced just as often as a sign showing a higher limit.

In PA, I believe PennDOT has a rule/law that requires them to post a speed limit sign every half-mile when the limit isn't the statutory maximum limit of 25 or 55 on a non-limited access highway

LilianaUwU

From experience in the provinces of Québec, Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick:

- Québec is extremely inconsistent. It depends on the region, the road, who maintains the road, etc. I would say the signage isn't too abundant, however.

- Prince Edward Island has so many speed limit changes, but they won't post it unless it's where there's a change. It's a mess.

- New Brunswick's speed limit signing is actually the best of the three, as most highways will have it signed at each exit with reminders every now and then. They even sign the regular limit at the end of work zones!
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Rothman

I found speed enforcement to be nonexistent in New Brunswick.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Rothman on July 24, 2022, 11:06:12 PM
I found speed enforcement to be nonexistent in New Brunswick.

Oh yeah, it is, at least from what I saw. I saw no police officers at all on the highways the last time I went through there.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

kirbykart

Quote from: webny99 on July 24, 2022, 09:47:26 PM

However, I think NY is generally pretty good about posting the speed limit frequently if it's not the state default of 55 mph. In fact, that's an easy way to tell on rural roads: if you haven't seen a sign in over a mile, chances are it's 55 mph.
Yep, definitely agree with you on this one. The township of Napoli, very close to where I live, has all roads that would be 55 elsewhere posted at 45, and the Speed Limit 45 signs are frequent.

webny99

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 24, 2022, 10:26:07 PM
In PA, I believe PennDOT has a rule/law that requires them to post a speed limit sign every half-mile when the limit isn't the statutory maximum limit of 25 or 55 on a non-limited access highway

Interesting. Come to think of it, this was really notable driving around Lancaster County earlier this year. The 45 mph signs were very frequent even by NY standards. (I hadn't noticed it as much elsewhere in the state, but I'm sure I will now!)

hotdogPi

I think I misinterpreted the question in my previous reply. When I said that Massachusetts had a lot of speed limit signs, I was referring to speed changes. I don't know how frequent repeats of the same number are in Massachusetts compared to other states.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

MASTERNC

Quote from: webny99 on July 25, 2022, 08:07:03 AM

Interesting. Come to think of it, this was really notable driving around Lancaster County earlier this year. The 45 mph signs were very frequent even by NY standards. (I hadn't noticed it as much elsewhere in the state, but I'm sure I will now!)

Not sure it's always in half-mile intervals but it is at least every few miles.  Some newer sections on the PA Turnpike have more frequent signage.

I-99 in New York seems to have multiple speed limit signs before the first exit.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MASTERNC on July 25, 2022, 06:29:41 PM
Quote from: webny99 on July 25, 2022, 08:07:03 AM

Not sure it's always in half-mile intervals but it is at least every few miles.  Some newer sections on the PA Turnpike have more frequent signage.

That's a limited access highway.  I was referring to non-limited access highways.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.