News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Traffic Lights At Random Places

Started by Lukeisroads, July 28, 2022, 08:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lukeisroads

k So the same topic got locked cause i didnt provide enough info so sry mods ill make it up to u So Traffic Lights Right? You see em everywhere But in a random Place? Seriously!? IF you Have Some Traffic Lights In a random place in Your Area Post em down below and ill Look At them Good Luck

hotdogPi

This one where MA 110 meets Ashford St. in Methuen, MA. (It's not a flashing yellow; it just happens to be yellow at the time Google Street View took it.) It doesn't meet signal warrants.

However, it doesn't quite meet the definition of "random"; it's rather "no longer useful". There's a former school on Ashford St. that's now only apartments.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Lukeisroads

Quote from: 1 on July 28, 2022, 09:00:46 PM
This one where MA 110 meets Ashford St. in Methuen, MA. (It's not a flashing yellow; it just happens to be yellow at the time Google Street View took it.) It doesn't meet signal warrants.

However, it doesn't quite meet the definition of "random"; it's rather "no longer useful". There's a former school on Ashford St. that's now only apartments.
Thats Cool But really stupid for the city of methuen not to remove the signal Put a 3 way stop Thatll make it better than worse

hotdogPi

No, a three-way stop would be worse. The light only turns red when there's traffic on the side street or when the pedestrian button is pushed; at least 80% of cars on 110 make it through without having to slow down at all. It should be just like all the other side roads, where 110 gets priority and the side street gets a stop sign.

This section of 110 is also state-owned, so it's the state's fault, not the city's.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Lukeisroads

Quote from: 1 on July 28, 2022, 09:04:59 PM
No, a three-way stop would be worse. The light only turns red when there's traffic on the side street or when the pedestrian button is pushed; at least 80% of cars on 110 make it through without having to slow down at all. It should be just like all the other side roads, where 110 gets priority and the side street gets a stop sign.

This section of 110 is also state-owned, so it's the state's fault, not the city's.
However he did say there was a school there

corco

SkyPesos

I lost braincells reading the op, and some other posts in the op's post history :/

Also, how would you define "random" for this thread?

Declan127

On Woodhaven Boulevard's (NYC) NB service road just south of the bridge over Atlantic Avenue, there's a signal that is literally at nothing. No cross street, no crosswalk, and there's a traffic light at the next intersection to the north (97th Ave). There are signals like this on other parts of the service road just before major cross streets (I know there's another SB one block before Jamaica Ave), but those usually have intersecting streets. And I believe this light was added along with the bus lanes (AKA recently), so there's nothing that could have warranted this light.
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

Scott5114

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 28, 2022, 09:41:57 PM
Also, how would you define "random" for this thread?

Yeah, this is the real problem with this thread. I mean, I sort of get what the OP might be looking for. But it's pretty rude to just say "Here's a thing I want a thread about, but I won't provide an example of my own for anyone else to go off of, or for them to enjoy themselves." But hey, if you post something in this thread, at least you'll have the honor of having it be Looked At by Lukeisroads himself.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jmacswimmer

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

PurdueBill

Quote from: jmacswimmer on July 29, 2022, 01:43:57 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8552783,-77.3646512,3a,75y,268.75h,79.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swCkkV_qSPqEKHj8Mvafu9Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1?hl=en

I see what you did there

In what I think is kinda the idea of this, these signals (https://goo.gl/maps/EmFUXjnarLmsDufM7) in Malden, Mass appear to be randomly way before the intersection, offset in distance, because they once accompanied a railroad crossing that also had its own signal (overhead even--if you go back to 2007 you can see that).  The railroad was abandoned, the railroad signal removed, but the traffic lights left....dark. Until recently when they were revived!  Instead of being removed which would have made a lot more sense.  Do you stop way back at that very first one on the red?  (And yes, they do all change! https://goo.gl/maps/U4DSPig3M2C8yTim6)
I can remember several times around 2010 and 2018 seeing them dark and wondering why they were still there, thinking they would be removed sometime eventually.  Never imagined they would be revived.

steviep24

US 89

Surely this qualifies as "random":

(Image from SL Tribune, as I can't find my own photo of the same lights. Fun fact, you can actually operate the birdhouse-looking light on your own by moving that black switch halfway up the post.)

Scott5114

Ned Weasel

I would consider the ones on Interstates 70 and 676 in Pennsylvania to be unusual and unconventional places, but not random places.

If someone in a DOT office throws a dart at a map on the wall and declares that a traffic signal shall be installed at the intersection nearest to the dart, I think that's about as close as you can get to random.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

SectorZ

I feel like I've read Timothy Dexter's A Pickle for the Knowing Ones at the start of this thread.

DrSmith

Lukeisroads

Scott5114

steviep24

This no longer exists but I 690 in Syracuse, NY had a traffic light that was used only when the New York State Fair was going on in late August/early September. The signal heads would be removed for the rest of the year. Ramps were built recently to eliminate the need for this signal.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0817815,-76.2225804,3a,75y,281.11h,88.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-neIXedmt5t4pPjA3F7OSA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

XamotCGC

Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

kirbykart

Here's a traffic light in Poughkeepsie, NY, a place that I just now selected randomly.

roadman65

Orlando has one on John Young Parkway at Clear Way as it's way too close to LB McLeod Road, a major intersection to be installed.   It should be a RIRO as Clear Way is not used much at all, but the city along time ago made a deal with local residents to have one there to make up for the one removed nearby on LB McCleod.

https://goo.gl/maps/eNfYEJZ4RyivjAgHA

The intersection with the removed signal.
https://goo.gl/maps/1ef3GD8BEanR5AFX9
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Lukeisroads

Quote from: roadman65 on July 31, 2022, 07:22:34 AM
Orlando has one on John Young Parkway at Clear Way as it's way too close to LB McLeod Road, a major intersection to be installed.   It should be a RIRO as Clear Way is not used much at all, but the city along time ago made a deal with local residents to have one there to make up for the one removed nearby on LB McCleod.

https://goo.gl/maps/eNfYEJZ4RyivjAgHA

The intersection with the removed signal.
https://goo.gl/maps/1ef3GD8BEanR5AFX9
thats cool

webny99

Quote from: steviep24 on July 29, 2022, 05:35:19 PM
Not sure what the OP means by random but I'll post this relic found in Brockport , NY

In that same area, this intersection seems at first glance like a bit of an odd location for a signal (especially since you can't really see the Lowe's from here).. until you realize how dreadfully busy and congested NY 31 is X-(

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.